Can a foreigner work for Uber eats?

He said he showed up to the Uber Eats place and attended a training course.

So I assume this means you can’t sign up online with your APRC but must go to the Uber eats corporate headquarter…

And now he is making $20,000 a month?

7 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Getting snooty in Rocketland :monocle:

And they still drive like idiots!

That’s very possible. I used a Taiwanese friend’s number to register for grad school. I also made clear in every place possible what my number actually was and that their system was discriminating against my ID number “so please don’t sue me for fraud”. (They didn’t sue me for fraud, so we’re good)

1 Like

Freaking dangerous job especially in the south.

Doubt it, it all depends how many hours you work, guess working at least 70 a week is necessary to make good money, but then the probability to have a road accident gets very high in the middle term.

I’ve got a TW ID but I don’t speak Chinese. If someone is in an opposite position (speaks Chinese to make deliveries but no ID), we could collaborate.

The Open Work Permit will be more important to them than the APRC, they likely have no idea what an APRC is. Did you point out that you have your own work permit and can be employed in the same way as a Taiwanese citizen?

Did you show them your Open Work Permit? That should fix the issue.

Not completely relevant, but I was just reading that if you have a dispute with Uber, they require you to go through third-party mediation–the catch is that you have to pay US$14,500 to do it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stefanovich-supreme-court-uber-class-action-decision-1.5626853?cmp=rss

Does that also apply to Uber employees “contractors” in Taiwan?

If not, feel free to post about it in the general Uber thread, here:

Or the more theoretical Uber thread, here:

ABT? Nah, you wouldn’t be calling yourself ForeignLaowai. I thought you had to pass a Chinese test or submit proof of class attendance for naturalisation.

2 Likes

Yep you are supposed to prove some proficiency. Maybe if you have Chinese DNA you are naturally proficient ?
Never thought of that one .:thinking:

You can pass the written test without fluency of speaking chinese.

3 Likes

I’ve seen him!

He could have a passport

Most people do. I also have a passport.

4 Likes

Haha. But, actually, I think the majority of the people in the world do not hold a current valid passport.