Can a NWOHR buy a house in Taiwan?

Hi @Shaozhi , no problem!

Can you post a link to what you were looking at specifically?

I think most or all of these are done after purchase, for example the land ownership certificate and contract of sale and purchase.

In some cases, I don’t think I did anything like zoning certificate. I assume that’s because I bought an apartment in a community building with new construction, so that was probably already covered by the construction company. In such situations, the buyer is basically buying a fraction of the land itself, and the apartment in full, so there are 2 ownership certificates split out separately that way.

I also wonder how much of this is meant specifically for just plain land, rather than a home purchase. For example, I would guess in most community building home transactions, certificate of zoning is probably not needed and the government probably already has it on record.

In purchasing a new home, the construction company selling the home also helped handle tax payments (i.e. tracking how much to pay, when to pay, what tax it is, etc.), and then afterwards I went to the tax office to apply for the self-use tax rate since I’m living in the home.

If you’re buying a home that is not brand new and not from the originally construction company, I’m not sure if you’ll need to track those requirements more carefully on your own.

I’m also not sure if it’s different for someone who is a NWOHR or not. I would assume not. The construction company that sold me the home just took down all of my various nationality info and I assume they just submitted it all or asked which to submit.

My impression is that buying a new construction home would probably be easier because they can help facilitate the process, although maybe working with a real estate agent could help as well (I didn’t).

Let me know if that helps. I can review any link that you post as well. My main suggestion for the first step would be to double check that the scope of this is not only plain land purchases, but also applies to homes. Ideally, working with an experienced and dedicated seller probably can also help fill in the details for you.

Hi Multipass,

Thanks for your response! The info is really helpful.

Here’s the website where I got the “required docs” (Q3): Welcome to Dept of Land Administration, M. O. I.-FAQ

Do I need to get government approval before I can buy a property?

The property I’m planning to buy (with a friend) is a pre-owned apartment. My friend and I have lived in this apartment for several years and since we like the apartment and the area, we decided to buy it from our landlord.

We will get a real estate agent to help us with the purchase. If he/she can take care of all the paperwork, that would be awesome. I’m just worried that there will be a lot of bureaucratic hoops that I have to jump through in order to buy the property as a foreigner (Canadian on a work-based ARC).

Thanks so much for your help. :smiley:

Hi @Shaozhi ,

I looked up what seems like the version of this question in Chinese just in case it helps to reference (although it’s not 100% the same – but there could be a lot of reasons for that):
https://www.land.moi.gov.tw/chhtml/landQA/55?qphclass=&pagenum=21

To me, this looks like a list post-purchase. For example, 土地所有權狀 is issued after the land becomes yours. Then again, it could also be a mixed list of things that should be provided at different steps of the process. It’s also possible this list isn’t for your situation (more on this below).

However I also noticed item 129 here: 中華民國內政部地政司全球資訊網-地政問答

But then when I actually go to the place it references, it seems the closest document is for larger scale investment: 外國人取得土地申請書(外國人投資國內重大建設整體經濟或農牧經營取得土地辦法)

So, it’s still unclear to me. I don’t think I had to fill out this form, but I was already a land owner and NWOHR, so my situation is a bit different from yours. I would recommend going to the Department of Land Administration and asking directly.

You could also reach out to the other folks on this thread who were not land owners and not NWOHRs who were planning to buy a home: Home Loans for Foreigners - #50 by multipass

If any of them completed the process, they may be able to give you more relevant information than I can, since my situation may have been slightly different.

Thanks, @multipass! We’ll be meeting with a real estate agent later today. Hopefully she can provide some answers. It would be even more awesome if she can take care of everything (for a fee, of course). Since we won’t be getting a mortgage, hopefully the process will go more smoothly.

1 Like