Can a Philippine citizen of Taiwan sponsor her husband?

I’m asking this for a friend of my husband’s, who we think is being scammed.
He is Nigerian. He has a Filipina girlfriend that he met on the internet. She says she has a Taiwanese passport, which would mean she is a Taiwanese citizen. She was born and raised in the Philippines, and is of Philippine heritage, not overseas Chinese. She married a Taiwanese man, and got citizenship as his wife.
I believe this quote applies to her situation:

So this woman is now divorced from her Taiwanese husband. She told her boyfriend that if they marry he can come to Taiwan and live there legally as her spouse.
Is this true? Will the Taiwanese government allow the former wife of a Taiwanese man to sponsor a foreigner to live in Taiwan? She is living in the Philippines right now. (I know the same situation in the USA or Canada would be OK, but Taiwan seems like a more difficult place to immigrate to.)

[quote=“bababa”]Will the Taiwanese government allow the former wife of a Taiwanese man to sponsor a foreigner to live in Taiwan?[/quote]As long as the former wife of the Taiwanese man is legally divorced and a legally naturalized citizen of Taiwan, it is possible.

[quote=“bababa”]So this woman is now divorced from her Taiwanese husband. She told her boyfriend that if they marry he can come to Taiwan and live there legally as her spouse.[/quote]Not necessarily true at all!

You must remember that marriage to a Taiwan national doesn’t automatically give the new foreign spouse any rights to enter Taiwan, live in Taiwan, or work in Taiwan, until they pass the NIA’s requirements for a JFRV. That can be difficult when dealing with countries that have a track record of immigration type scams, etc. Many times immigration officers will believe marriages to individuals from these designated countries to be just sham marriages for illegal immigration purposes. Therfore, they will have to go out of their way to prove that their marriage is genuine.

[quote=“bababa”]I’m asking this for a friend of my husband’s, who we think is being scammed.
He is Nigerian. He has a Filipina girlfriend that he met on the internet. She says she has a Taiwanese passport, which would mean she is a Taiwanese citizen. She was born and raised in the Philippines, and is of Philippine heritage, not overseas Chinese. She married a Taiwanese man, and got citizenship as his wife.
I believe this quote applies to her situation:

So this woman is now divorced from her Taiwanese husband. She told her boyfriend that if they marry he can come to Taiwan and live there legally as her spouse.
Is this true? Will the Taiwanese government allow the former wife of a Taiwanese man to sponsor a foreigner to live in Taiwan? She is living in the Philippines right now. (I know the same situation in the USA or Canada would be OK, but Taiwan seems like a more difficult place to immigrate to.)[/quote]

Having a Taiwanese passport doesn’t mean she is a Taiwan citizen. Only a Taiwanese ID would prove she is a citizen here. A person who has a Taiwanese passport is called a Taiwan National, which is different from a Taiwan citizen. I know, it’s just a play on the word, but believe me, makes a whole lot of difference in this part of the globe.

But would one of those ‘mail order brides’ who married a Taiwanese man probably be a Taiwanese citizen, or just have the passport? If she just has the passport, would it still be possible for her to sponsor her new husband?

By the way, it seems it is the Nigerian man who is getting scammed here. He seems to really love her; she seems to want to marry him because he has money (she thinks), and is using the promise of being able to immigrate to Taiwan as ‘bait’.

[quote=“bababa”]But would one of those ‘mail order brides’ who married a Taiwanese man probably be a Taiwanese citizen, or just have the passport? If she just has the passport, would it still be possible for her to sponsor her new husband?[/quote]Being an ID card carrying Taiwan citizen is the key. If she is, then it’s possible. Talking about passport this and passport that is rather meaningless. Find out if she has a Taiwan ID. That’s what’s important.

[quote=“bababa”]By the way, it seems it is the Nigerian man who is getting scammed here. He seems to really love her; she seems to want to marry him because he has money (she thinks), and is using the promise of being able to immigrate to Taiwan as ‘bait’.[/quote]It’s doubtful that the NIA would consider that he’s the one being scammed, especially if the woman is a bonafide Taiwan citizen and she wishes to help him immigrate to Taiwan. Afterall, if they are truly in love, she can simply immigrate to Nigeria and live in his country or invite him to live with her in the Philippines instead. Problem solved.

This is the aspect of the relationship that seems funny to me, but maybe heartbreaking to them. They both seem to think that the other is their way to escape. The Nigerian is thinking if he marries her he can leave Nigeria and move to a rich country; she seems to think if she marries him she’ll have a way out of the Philippines (which is why we’re wondering if she can get him into Taiwan.)
Anyway, thanks for your answers. I’ll tell him immigrating to Taiwan is not a sure thing.

I know a foreigner who is married to a Filipina with an ROC passport (but no hukou). He got his JFRC that way.

So it appears that there is nothing about this relationship that is genuinely based on love or a long term relationship. He simply wants to escape Nigeria and she wants a rich man who can support her in Taiwan versus the Philippines. If she has never been to Nigeria and he has never been to the Philippines AND they have never actually met each other in person or spent a significant amount of time together, it will be a difficult sell to the NIA that their relationship is genuine. Why wouldn’t the NIA expect their relationship to be a case of fraudulent immigration? Especially when the newspapers are filled with stories like this:

[quote=“China Post on 06-26-2010”]
Nigerian scams prevalent, warns gov’t

TAIPEI – As many as 12 Taiwanese have fallen victim to Nigerian fraudsters in the past year, including one woman who ended up being raped in Malaysia two months ago by her scammers, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday, warning the public to be on their guard.

Dubbed “419” (the listing number of this type of crime in the Nigerian criminal code), the scams have been around for decades. The usual format is where the fraudster sends out massive numbers of “phishing” emails in the hope that someone will take the bait. The method has also extended to online auctions and shopping websites, as well as personal ads.

The most common form of phishing email purports to come from a person claiming to need help from a holder of a bank account overseas who is willing to accept a massive sum of money into his account on the scammer’s behalf, with the promise of a sizeable “handling fee” for the transaction. If the victim can be persuaded to provide personal and banking details, the fraudsters immediately use the information to clean out the victim’s account.

In Taiwan, said the ministry, most of the scams involve online transactions in which a Taiwanese seller has listed items on a website such as eBay, and a buyer, usually based in Nigeria, places an enticingly high bid.

“The buyer then claims that according to Nigerian regulations, their citizens are not allowed to wire money internationally until the item has been received. In the past year, 12 people have been cheated out of cell phones, cameras and laptops,” said Charles Chou, a section chief of the Department of African Affairs.

MOFA officials said most of the victims in Taiwan are considered highly educated because the communications are conducted in English. The age of the most recent victims range from the mid-50s to the early 20s. Chou said the department has suggested to the Executive Yuan’s Office of Homeland Security that the various shopping websites popular in Taiwan should include a running headline across the page to caution sellers about online scams.

Another cyber-crime case is that of a Taiwanese woman aged over 50 who fell for a man whom she met online. Upon finally traveling to Malaysia to meet with him in real life, however, he and his accomplices gang-raped her before robbing her of her money and belongings.

A MOFA official said he could not confirm the nationality of her attackers, but added that they were “probably from Nigeria.”

“We are asking the public to think twice before disclosing personal information to strangers online. One small mistake can cause irreparable damage,” Chou said.[/quote]

So it appears that there is nothing about this relationship that is genuinely based on love or a long term relationship. He simply wants to escape Nigeria and she wants a rich man who can support her in Taiwan versus the Philippines. If she has never been to Nigeria and he has never been to the Philippines AND they have never actually met each other in person or spent a significant amount of time together, it will be a difficult sell to the NIA that their relationship is genuine. [/quote]
Yes, my husband has told him that he probably won’t be going to Taiwan to live anytime soon.
The man appears to love her; we’re questioning her motives.