Can adultery be used as grounds to divorce?

Hi All, just curious to know since now that the adultery law has been abolished, if that can be used as grounds to divorce even if she isn’t agreeable to splitting. I am saying if the scenario is the husband committed adultery and is the one wanting to divorce.

Any information is appreciated. TIA

Fyi

Civil Code

Article 1052
Where either the husband or the wife meets one of the following conditions, the other party may petition the court for a juridical decree of divorce:

(2) Where he or she has consensual sexual intercourse with another person;

Either the husband or the wife may petition for a juridical decree of divorce upon the occurrence of any gross event other than that set forth in the preceding paragraph that renders it difficult to maintain the marriage, except if either the husband or the wife is responsible for the event, only the other party may petition for the divorce.

As tando laid out, this is not a valid exit strategy.

I believe that decriminalization of adultery only means you can’t go to jail for adultery. It does not affect any other civil aspect of adultery however, such as divorce, civil suit, etc.

So… What you are saying and asking is:

“I know that in Taiwan it’s hard to get rid of my wife if she doesn’t want to divorce because the law wants her to agree with it. However, is that law which is meant to protect spouses going to let me divorce her if I screw other women?”

I think if you think very hard you will know the answer.

4 Likes

“Hey, I cheated on my wife who doesn’t want to dissolve our marriage. Now that I did the worst thing you can do during a marriage, will the old ball and chain agree to a divorce now? Also my horrible act of marital betrayal is no longer illegal… bonus!”

3 Likes

Just to provide clarity for everyone.

Since being married, it has been long distance over the last 3 years due to family and work commitments. Over that time things have broken down where both parties had seek new partners (wife first). However, wife refuses to sign and blackmailing unless large sum is paid.

Please be kind and not so quick to judge.

3 Likes

Lawyer up and let them do their job.

2 Likes