Can an English school deny work permit if your first language isn't English?

Iirc, the qualification to teach at regular schools is BA in a related major and teacher licence of the subject you teach.

To teach Eglish at buxibans, you need to be from an English speaking country, and BA in any major or equivalent qualification.

Or to be precise, it’s what was stated earlier in this thread. :slight_smile:

In my (humble) experience as long as English is an official language in your country, you are eligible.

U. S. territories appear on the MOE’s list of approved schools. I don’t know if they all appear, but Puerto Rico appears. Now comes the part that, to me, is kind of strange.

At least on my computer, and at this time,

I can go to this website – http://www.fsedu.moe.gov.tw/

and to the right of these characters – 洲別 –

I can select this in the dropdown menu – 美洲地區 –

and then to the right of these characters – 國別 –

I can select this in the dropdown menu – 美國 –

and then to the right of these characters – 地區別 –

I can select Puerto Rico (it’s in English and Chinese (波多黎各) among the other selections (initially, I see it below Wisconsin).

But after I choose Puerto Rico, if I click 查詢 (Google Translate translates that as “inquire”), I don’t get any schools, but rather I get these characters – 目前無文件 (Google Translate translates that as “no documents at this time”).

However, if I choose Palau, and then choose Puerto Rico, and then click 查詢, I get a long list of schools in Puerto Rico. Selecting the Marshall Islands first and then selecting and clicking Puerto Rico also seems to work.

To give an example of how unusual the thing is (at least for me–maybe it will be perfectly normal for others), I couldn’t get any Louisiana schools, then I selected Palau and then selected and clicked Louisiana, and I got Louisiana schools.

Kind of confusing. :idunno: