Can anyone recommend a quality international school

I have read a lot of information on this forum and beyond about different teaching schools. The more I read the more I am unsure of where to apply. It is hard to know what information still holds true 3-5 years after the posts were produced. I have read a lot about chain schools being a step to Taiwan but not typically being the best schools to work for. Can anyone recommend a quality international school where you can teach a subject in addition to English. FYI. I have my B.A. and teaching certificate. Thank you for all of your help.

I work in a cram school, so I don’t know anything about that. I wonder if these folks could help you:

[quote=“In the Parenting forum, on December 13, 2012, AmoyMama”][MaDonna Mauer] blogs at forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 1#p1485411

The excerpt quoted above comes from a post that was made in a different context from that of your post, and I’ve omitted the context, so you might want to check out the post from which it was excerpted.

I hope that someone else will come along with more information.

All the best!

TES, TAS. thats about it.

Sir! You forget Taoyuan American School (TYAS). It brings together the best of Eastern and Western learning styles so your child can receive an American education without leaving Taiwan.

Apologies, how could i forget :wink:

I’ve been in Taoyuan almost 5 years and I have no idea where this TYAS is, or that it even existed!

Man, I’ve got to get out more… :s

I’ve been in Taoyuan almost 5 years and I have no idea where this TYAS is, or that it even existed!

Man, I’ve got to get out more… :s[/quote]

They advertise a lot on ICRT.

It’s a new school and it wouldn’t be at the same level as the others.

Why not use google first. Wiki has a far better list than the couple of schools mentioned. Firstly the people on this site don’t teach at these schools or have children attending them so they can only talk from hearsay which isn’t very good at all.

Our son went to the American School in Taichung after graduating from 6th grade in Alishan, up in the mountains of Taiwan. He’s now at University of NSW in Sydney and has completed 2nd year and is getting a Distinction avarage. The AST school was fairly new when he went there so many people were claiming he wouldn’t get the same quality education at say schools like TAS in Taipei. This proved to be unfounded and wrong. Morisson Academy in Taiching was well established but it wasn’t the school we wanted our son to attend. He also went to both Morisson and AST for interviews but didnt like Morrison. Just because a school is new doesn’t mean it won’t be a good school.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_in … _in_Taiwan

It’s a little hard to compare the American School in Taichung (AST) with Taoyuan American School(TYAS). AST is WASC accredited, as are the other schools (apart from TYAS) listed on the wiki entry posted by Aboriginal girl. WASC accreditation is a lengthy process and assures that the school meets rigid standards and provides a quality education by certified teachers in their respective fields. Until TYAS gets their WASC accreditation, they are no different to other bilingual schools like Wagor, Wego, etc.

Still bloody expensive, though. 50k a month - same as TES. Better location, though, so so convenient :ponder:

That’s good information. For parents who want to ensure their children get accepted directly to university in Australia USA Canada UK etc they must attend accredited schools like TAS, AST, Morrison, Taipei European schools etc.

You can search for accredited schools on the WASC website (acswasc.org/directory_search.cfm)

:astonished: Some people have more money than brains. :loco:

[quote=“Aboriginal girl”]Why not use google first. Wiki has a far better list. . . .

Our son went to the American School in Taichung. . . .

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_in … _in_Taiwan[/quote]

The above information should go a long way toward answering your question, chance987. Thanks, Aboriginal girl and WaltzingMatilda.

Here’s a Wikipedia article on the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC): en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_As … d_Colleges