👉 Can anyone share advice about living in Taiwan long term?

that’s my thought as well. our han Chinese Singaporean friends have acclimated to Taiwan extremely well. it’s a good country. and if you speak mandarin it’s an amazing country with very little effort. our Indian and Russian singaporean friends had harder times here due to the usual phenotype issues and language barriers.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! So how are your thoughts regarding New Taipei City vs Taipei City during your stay in these places?

Good point. I’m glad we’re both Chinese ethnic who can read, write, and speak Mandarin pretty well, since it’s our most frequently spoken language back home. We will keep that advice in mind as we weigh budget vs. distance.

I really appreciate you sharing your struggles and experience as a tourist vs as an expat. It was really valuable to hear real-world stories from you and what you went through, and kudos to you for picking up Mandarin!

Unfortunately, I feel the work culture may be a common practice in Asian Chinese society, and I also get what you mean regarding face-saving culture. It was also partly due to the fact that I dislike and got tired of such working environments that I decided to start my own gig to escape the race.

Since I grew up in Singapore’s tropical wet/hot climate, I actually enjoy the snowy winter in London. LOL. Although after a while, my local classmates were telling me it’s just my honeymoon phase and in fact most locals find it harder to get through daily life in winter, which I slowly understood.

What a great list of things you love about Taiwan!! Reading them made us more excited about our relocation plan, because we also love Taiwan for the same reasons you do, though not as deeply as you have since we’ve only visited.

That’s awesome!

Happy to hear you’re having positive landlord and apartment hunting experience so far.

Thank you so much for your insights and advice. Lol, I guess imagination vs reality can be a harsh thing, since you’re not the only one to mention discrimination or different treatment. I was even a little taken aback when you mentioned “in some ways hostile”, so if you feel comfortable telling us a little about it, that’d be great.

Since we’re East Asians, Mandarin was our family’s most common language growing up. So we can read, write, and speak pretty well.

To be honest, we were considering relocating between Thailand or Taiwan because we like both places for their great cultures and friendly people. In terms of language, Taiwan wins, since Mandarin is our easiest language to communicate with, and we like the food more as well. Haha.

3 Likes

seems like a winner :slight_smile:

and being free from traditional family related stuff locall, I think people can be extremely happy in taiwan!

I love Thailand as well. but I would personally opt to live in Taiwan over Thailand any day of the week. i feel thailand is a better vacation spot than taiwan. but taiwan is a better “home base”.

the China problem is real, but in the end it’s always good to side on the ethical side of the issue so for me Taiwan is an even better option, unless in a rotten mood Haha.

1 Like

haha, like you like the South much more attractive to me than the North with year round warmer weather (though Taipei can be hotter in the summer) I as a Japanese person am treated well, but this may not apply to you even if you speak Chinese (locals will know your not local by your accent).
I have summer break from the hot, being in Estonia now and think its also good place except for winter! There are few Asians here but I feel I am treated well.

Always glad to help a fellow Singaporean :upside_down_face: As a general consideration, if you are ethnically Chinese from an Asian country things tend to be smoother, at least on the discrimination side or on the “you are a waiguoren so I won’t listen to whatever you are saying even in excellent Mandarin and keep repeating my template reply” experience.

Where are you staying in Taiwan?
Kaohsiung
Where in Taiwan would you recommend staying longer-term or semi-retiring?
For a Singaporean, I would say Greater Taipei. Metropolitan feel, relatively good air quality and still less busy than the Red Dot. But you would be shocked by the housing market prices, especially if compared to BTOs.
How has it been coming from your home country and settling in?
I’m used to Asia so it wasn’t much of a change in general, but the attitude towards foreigners is frustrating at times. It is hard to be treated normally as opposed to how we Caucasians generally are in an English-speaking melting pot like Singapore.
Is there anything you like or dislike about living in Taiwan vs your own country?
I love safety and convenience here, while I dislike, like others have already pointed out, the nightmare that doing anything government-related or official (phone contract, bank account, etc.) becomes, even if you speak Mandarin. And I prefer the Singaporean eternal summer, but this is a personal view :rofl:

[UPDATE]
Frustration comes in three ways (@FatKaz already explained it awesomely)

1. The staff is not really listening to what you are telling them, because you are a waiguoren anyway. They will just keep repeating the same useless reply over and over until you raise your voice and say “LISTEN TO ME CAREFULLY”.
  2. When the staff doesn’t know how to handle your problem, they will just say “NO” or feed you some funny story to shrug you off and make sure that you don’t come back until their shift is over, after which you will be someone else’s problem.
  3. On top of that, every person will have a different version of the story and make its own regulations without bothering to check. One shop might tell you that you can have a phone contract only with a Taiwanese signing on your behalf, another one that you need to pay a hefty deposit, the third that foreigners cannot have a phone contract and the fourth will let you have one smoothly. That’s what doing “official” things in Taiwan looks like.

Would you mind sharing what type of visa you have and if you had any issues?
Gold Card, no issues. The process was super-smooth.
Are there any tips you’d like to share about your condo/apartment rental experience?
Quality is appalling and prices up north scary, even for a Singaporean. I would suggest aiming at new condos, which cost more but have a higher standard compared to the old buildings.
Do you have kids or is your kid studying there? How’s it going?
N.A.
Do you have any advice for people moving to Taiwan?
If you are not in a rush, why don’t you wait for COVID restrictions to be lifted (hint: November elections :shushing_face:) and come for maybe one-two months to have a better feel of the place?

4 Likes

In a nutshell, yep. Sometimes when someone refuses to do something, no amount of reason helps.

I feel like I painted a bad picture though :joy: i do like living here overall. I’ve mostly lived in small towns (Xiangshan in Hsinchu, Gongguan Miaoli, Miaoli City and now moving to YuanLin in Changhua) and I think life here is slower and easier than back in Australia.
It’s possible that I’ve faced more issues because I haven’t lived in areas where there are more foreigners. I wouldn’t live in Taipei unless I had a great job just because rent is double the price of other cities.
I like not having to travel so far for a weekend away.
I like how easy it is to find a job here and that you don’t need to go through 3-5 interview stages to find out the salary of jobs (Australian businesses almost never state the pay until you get an offer). I also like that negotiating salary is acceptable for almost any position here.
I like seeing the mountains and riding a scooter around. I like that the excellent train network makes car ownership optional rather than necessary. I like feeling like part of the community after living somewhere for a while. I had someone randomly say hi and offer to teach me how to play tennis because I teach English to his friends, daughter :sweat_smile:

No where’s perfect and I’ve had a hard time deciding whether to stay in Taiwan or go back to Australia. They both have pros and cons but they have different pros and cons.

1 Like

Great questions and some good insights in the thread so far.

• Where are you staying in Taiwan?

I’m currently in Taichung but have spent considerable time in Nantou and Tainan as well.

• Where in Taiwan would you recommend staying longer-term or semi-retiring?

This really depends on what you both like to do with your free time. If you’d like active social lives, eating out at restaurants with international cuisine options, and greater shopping options, then any of the bigger cities on the West side would probably be a good option. Taipei is kind of like “Singapore-Lite”. Not quite as international in both demographics and mindset, but getting there. I describe Taichung as being very “family-friendly” in that there is nothing overly amazing about it but lots of little things to like about it. Tainan has most of the dining and shopping options of a big city but maintains a very “local” feel. Personally, if you want to retire and still enjoy city life, Tainan would be my first choice. Just be prepared for some crazy traffic.

That being said, I personally would retire along the East Coast. Maybe Yilan, so you could be close enough to Taipei for easy trips over to the big city. Beautiful views, easy access to nature. Chill and relaxed vibe, but it can be a little touristy and the dining/shopping/socialization options will be limited.

• How has it been coming from your home country and settling in?

Very different, but I came here fairly young (as a teenager) and so was more adaptable back then. I’m settled now, but wouldn’t want to do it again someplace else.

• Is there anything you like or dislike about living in Taiwan vs your own country?

Lots of things to like, but it’s more fun to talk about the dislikes :smile:

The big dislikes are pollution, traffic/general population density, and the initial language barrier, although I’ve either gotten used to or found workable solutions for those for the most part.
The biggest thing I miss from where I grew up (rural midwest, USA) is that it is fairly difficult to find complete solitude. By that, I mean being completely and utterly alone. I used to do wilderness hiking/camping before coming to Taiwan and the feeling of not hearing any man-made noise and knowing that there probably isn’t another soul in many km in any direction is one like none other and very difficult to achieve in Taiwan. That being said, Taiwan has nice nature options and even some fun wilderness camping options, but you’ll likely be running into other adventurers along the way unless you spend quite a few hours finding a secluded spot.

• Would you mind sharing what type of visa you have and if you had any issues?

Currently on APRC. No issues.

• Do you have any advice for people moving to Taiwan?

Embrace awkwardness.
Be proactive in terms of building friendships/community.
When doing anything that requires official paperwork, always call ahead to make sure the information you have is complete and accurate. Many non-Taiwanese residents struggle with banking and anything bureaucratic. I’ve found that calling ahead, asking for the pertinant information, getting someone’s name, and then making an appointment with that specific person goes a long way towards turning yourself into a client rather than just another face in the crowd at Taiwan’s large institutions. Doesn’t always work, but it seems to help in my experience.

1 Like

I think we had a discussion about how Wise doesn’t support NTD.