Can China invade Taiwan successfully?

?
That’s not a few of countries

There are many countries in the world that China gets resources from , which wouldn’t block it from purchasing on.

News articles?

Australia, Brazil, Papua New Guinea, South Africa. A handful of others but they’re mostly rare earth metals. China is trying to get into Afghanistan for that.

So yes it would only take a few countries to stop exports to China.

Do you think various African nations, Russia, South American nations etc would full stop cut off exports to china because it is the right thing to do? I have many doubts.

No one has done anything of the like so far, cant see it happening. Although it really should before it is too late.

Depends on the US. Russia won’t. That’s a given.

What countries could do is force Chinese government and corporate owned entities to sell their interests.

Some countries have already started doing that. Most things start with a trickle.

1 Like

It says here that the rest of the world is dependent on Chinas rare earths

Anyway again, I think you don’t really understand what you are saying but if anything, I respect your confidence . I will Google later Chinas rare earth dependency

But the situation is the same, Chinas economy isn’t going to collapse, they would make adjustments, it’s not Brazil, it’s a closed loop economic system

This is only possible because they are so shitty to their own people. it seems that is the aspect the “west” underestimates and thinks they may be stuck. they arent, they will just kill millions. Mau did it, no reason they wouldnt do it again. They have done fuck all to show they have improved since Mau, they just have more foreign money to put towards fighting foreign countries. The definition of idiocy by “the west”.

1 Like

I agree, they could. And should. the problem is they dont. only a few do very minor steps after millions of killings. So although the strategy is simple and would be effective, the problem is “we” are just as guilty by enabling them and paying them to kill.

but even when shit goes straight per shape, even the nazis had allies…so I think it is worth noting humans, as a species, are generally pretty shit.

1 Like

Countries are starting to take baby steps in the right direction. I’d say it’s more because the companies those countries represent have realised the Chinese market isn’t what they dreamed it would be.

As for us what you said is true. We are complicit by default each time we purchase products made in China. Thankfully there is starting to be some choice about these things. We can even ask the Apple store for an iPhone made in Taiwan rather than China. We might have to wait a few days for it but we can still get it.

Western countries, US Aus UK Can and Ger, have started cracking down on digital advertising coming from China. Turns out China has been implanting sleeper code in some of that stuff. That’s how they hacked the 7/11s here during the Pelosi visit.

The same week Nike said “China is our market” they moved more manufacturing to Vietnam. Foxconn are talking about setting up a new factory because they can no longer guarantee slave labour within their assembly process (plus all the Covid lockdowns). Levis seem like they’re pulling out of China. There are others.

Countries are toughening their foreign investment requirements in regards to China. They really should bring in reciprocal arrangements. That would stop China almost immediately.

Xi has also restricted the number of Chinese allowed to go overseas for education. And a number of countries have set up investigations into those dodgy Chinese police stations. One officer was arrested the other day after threatening a Hong Kong protestor. And the illegal police station they were operating from was raided and shut down.

In all honesty Xi has bitten off more than he can chew. I have friends in China and I’m worried for them. I’m also being followed around by what appears to be 4 Chinese guys. They look like military. All of them are 6’ or more. This is in Taipei. One of them is usually quite aggressive towards me but won’t start anything. The other 3 are usually trying to keep him away from me. I wonder how often this stuff happens to others. I prefer the local police following me around. At least they’re reasonable and you can chat with them.

2 Likes

I should also say that the transition to renewables can make a massive difference over the next ten years. Countries like Australia might be able to start raw mineral processing again. And with that setting up heavy vehicle manufacturing.

If, and I really do emphasize the if, that happens then that will be a game changer. With modern robotic assembly lines for vehicle manufacturing the labour costs would be substantially reduced (less actual people needed) with almost zero cost for electricity.

The same could be applied to a number of other industries. And other countries could step in for cheap labour options. Particularly in regard to textiles.

?

I need to spend less time on the internet

4 Likes

Surprised no one is talking about this (just the same tedious shit about looped economies)

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/11/13/politics/joe-biden-xi-jinping-meeting-g20-bali/index.html

Emerging afterward, Biden told reporters he was “open and candid” with Xi about the range of matters where Beijing and Washington disagree. He cast doubt on an imminent invasion of self-governing Taiwan, and seemed hopeful his message about avoiding all-out conflict was received.

Should we take this at face-value or did Xi just play Biden like a fiddle?

Mao!

Guy

Would you take Xi Jinping at his word? Gees he doesn’t even honor contracts. And refused to recognize international law. My guess is Xi just said the usual rubbish while trying to placate Biden. Transcript leaks usually take a couple of days to come out.

I think it’s a good sign, there hasn’t been any real diplomacy or talks for nearly four years

I think both China and US both recognize that need to find a way to live together, despite being in competition and having conflicting interests.

They’ve already found a way all through the 2000s and the 2010s. It’s Xi who wants to shake things up, and it’s not up to the Americans to “find a way to live together”, it’s entirely up to Xi to return things to how it was.

1 Like

Yeah but was one of priorities in the plenary.

You don’t think four years of Trump and all of his rhetoric and bile soured the relationship as well?

Actually just 1.5 years, he spent the first 2.5 sucking up to Xi, and praising him.

1 Like