Can China invade Taiwan successfully?

like the drones the guards at the offshore islands shot at [not]?
once triggers are pulled it’s sayonara for the flob, so praying it doesn’t get to that stage

Right. It will be a lot different for those drones when they are shot at

So, good thing they did not pull triggers at the drones, or the planes

Hope so, yes

I think the fact that it’s 5 years after this question was asked in 2018 so the answer is no.

And still no.

1 Like

Within a year, no.

Within 5 years, yes, unless the USA and other countries step up with more weapon systems and training.

2 Likes

Wonder how they will go up against the F22 which can pop over from Okinawa?
Taiwan’s F16’s will see how good they are with the latest avionics and weapons systems.

2 Likes

And SAMs

Xi told the PLA to get ready, and then fired the defence minister and head of the rocket force.

I’ll probably start sending out job applications later this year, but not in a hurry to go yet

1 Like

https://news.yahoo.com/taiwan-raises-concerns-situation-getting-02324211.html

China normally performs large-scale exercises from July to September, Taiwan’s defence ministry has said.

On Saturday the ministry said China had largely dialled back its drills, reporting that over the previous 24 hour period it had only spotted two Chinese aircraft operating in its air defence zone.

Asked by reporters on the sidelines of parliament whether there was a risk of an accidental incident sparking a broader conflict given the frequency of the Chinese activities, Taiwan Defence Minister Chiu Kuo-cheng said: “This is something we are very worried about”.

Warships from China’s southern and eastern theatre commands have been operating together off Taiwan’s east coast, he added.

“The risks of activities involving aircraft, ships, and weapons will increase, and both sides must pay attention,” Chiu said.

2 Likes

That rumor is still alive.

2 Likes

More and more sources are reporting the same thing. How exactly would a submarine trap work?

A giant wire net, maybe with hooks and magnets, fastened in a few places to the sea floor? That’s what I pictured

1 Like

There’s a drawn image of one in the article. I’m not sure if it’s accurate. Maybe it’s something left over from the 1950s or so? If it’s true.

1 Like

The US denied selling lots of things to Taiwan right? I guess just not publicly?

1 Like
1 Like

Taiwan High Court’s Kaohsiung branch sentenced a retired air force colonel to 20 years in prison on Wednesday for running espionage activities at the instruction of China for at least eight years by recruiting six active-duty military officers.

Comes out to about NT$174k/month :moneybag:

The court also ruled that NT$16.7 million in criminal proceeds he reaped should be confiscated.

1 Like

Well ya. That stings more than twenty years I bet!

1 Like

This is consistent with my understanding, and worth remembering when Taiwanese military officers are caught being bribed. Not only can the other side be bribed as well, that’s how a lot of their officers get promoted in the first place. I even remember hearing/reading officers would take loans in order to pay the promotion bribe because in a higher position they would be able to collect more bribes, and in order to pay back the loan they needed more bribes before being able to cash in on the investment or start saving for a new promotion

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2023-10-31/why-china-s-pla-generals-keep-getting-caught-in-corruption-scandals

1 Like

Interesting story… China would defeat Taiwan within 96 hours of invading…unless the US and others step in at “high cost” …

“China has the world’s largest navy and a far superior air force. A war-gaming exercise conducted by a think-tank last year found that in a conflict with China, Taiwan’s navy and air force would be wiped out in the first 96 hours of battle.”

US feeding money to Taiwan as usual, but…

The worlds largest untested navy.

2 Likes