Can China invade Taiwan successfully?

It absolutely should not. Agree. especially given the many decades of fairly hard core indoctrination that has gone on.

Seems the mouth peices in the media seem to really underestimate what china is willing to do, is willing to sacrifice and what it is actually capable of. Being naive and thinking they are hollow peasants like so many commentators go on about is really a bad arrogant move.

Toe to toe, I bet china trumps the US as is. if there were no allies and just a 1 on 1. my worry is waiting only works in their favor.

In a land war, sure.

But no-one is talking about the US launching a land war against China.

Guy

In any war, I would bet. the only reason I could see the CCP losing is to bide it’s time for a future plan or a civil war. The US has more to lose to it’s people, the CCP doesnt give a shit. that alone, makes the arrogance of the west sort of hard to listen to.

Not in any type of war. China has little to no experience fighting and despite click baity articles, the US military far exceeds the Chinese in capabilities, equipment, tech, execution. China only exceeds in manpower. The US wouldn’t need to get caught in a war of attrition because it would blockade China’s energy sources and destroy it’s infrastructure/economy before it even came to that.

Well, there are a lot of reasons to think of the Chinese fighting as a joke, i and others have listed them ad nauseum (little emperors, lack of experienced officers promoted on merit, untested equipment, etc.). The point of the article was to say thay, given the high chance of a Chinese invasion failing for very real reasons, wouldn’t it be something if the embarassment of that failure made the Chinese people really ready to make sacrifices

Well, Russia vs Ukraine was a safer bet and we see how that is playing out

From what I’ve been reading there is a window, after which Chinese demographics, Chinese economic problems, and new US weapons coming online means time is actually not on the CCP’s side

As was “any western country” vs Afghanistan and “any western country” vs vietnam.

Sure, itis fun to joke about how sissy the chinese are. but it’s not really like 1 billion of them are all buying Gucci in malls and getting manicures weekly either. There are a lot of hard people in china. and they have a lot of people. they also have an absurd amount of hostage ability when it comes to supply chains. they also dont give a fuck about anything but their party. sacrifices are made all the time for issues far less important than war. I can only see civil war weakening them to a point they could lose a multi decades long war with the west.

So I guess the only reasonable takeaway is that we won’t know until we know

That is true for if and when and how the CCP will try to take Taiwan, how successful they will be, and what happens after that. The article I shared gave an interesting possibility that i had neither read before nor thought of myself, so i shared it.
In the grab bag of possibilities, it is definitely one.

1 Like

indeed. I hadn’t ever thought about it either. But thanks to this thread am now. I just cant see it it being plausible. All fun thought experiments.

Fighting, we, and many others can win, even in Afghanistan. Occupation, is a different story.

Similarly, this depends on what you’re talking about. Straight up fighting battles, the US wins.

1 Like

“It is recognized that you have a funny sense of fun”
lawrence-of-arabia

2 Likes

Ya, I suppose I was going off the thought of invading china first rather than defending.g against china. Outside if occupation, i dont see China changing its core until its leadership is completely gone. And like a deeply rooted cancer, i dont see that type of governance changing even if they “lose” a war. Which is why I wouldnt call it losing because they will remain basically the same and pop right back up oppressing people.

Probably the only real example of China losing a war and changing is Taiwan, which has taken the lions share of a decade and under extreme threat from a real problem of an enemy whilst trying to get into the good graces of cultures it has now started to be like. If a hot war were to be fought, but in chinese borders, it would be far more complicated. I just dont see it without a civil war/uprising type scenario. Rotting from within, in other words.

On the positive (?) side, there are a lot of people (government people) in Russia calling for Putin to resign. So things do happen. Not that China doesn’t have significantly better censorship and control, but there is always that possibility??

1 Like

There is always that possibility so long as good people are willing to fight for improvemnt! In any country, anywhere, anytime. arguably, this is true in biological senses too.

China has lost plenty of wars and changed. That pretty much defines Chinese history. China has gone through successive periods of opening up, progressing from the exchange of ideas with the outside world, retreating into itself and decaying from within. It then either changes through civil war or outside forces.

Sorry, I meant recent history. last couple centuries. they have closed shop and reworked their oppression, sure. but overall same shit different smell seems the real status quo. CKS was no hero, nor was mao and all the other horrible humans since on the the CCP side. and to a much lesser extent the KMT side. But the evolution has forked into a very overt way.

If things are to truly change, the CCP and its generations of brutal propaganda needs addressing. I dont see bombs being the most ideal tool for that. But then, I dont see them being reasonable either…so cant say there is much of a sollution on the horizon other than at least stop funding their tyranny until a real plan is sorted.

I could be wrong obviously. I sure hope I am! but I doubt it.

Opium wars and 1911 Revolution? And of course there was change in Taiwan on the losing side, but obviously change when the CCP took over in China as well. Tons of change.

There have been changes, obviously. Every sunset is a unique change and so on. just not in the sense of overpowering government oppressing it’s people and causing problems. That is same shit different smell of referrence above. The opium wars of yesteryear, the opium war of today. also same shit different smell. History books will be written in 100 years about the current one. Assuming the earth isnt glowing from war.

Sounds like we have 5 years.

This came up on my Flipboard and reminded me of our chat

Xi hasn’t invaded yet which tells me he never will.

1 Like