Can China invade Taiwan successfully?

That’s what the ghost cities over there are for.

There was years of Russian propaganda dehumanizing Ukrainians before they invaded. I have not seen similar activity here, but please correct me if you have found proof otherwise. Even now, many Taiwanese work in China and have found a decent amount of success, although not without obstacles. I think this is an apples-to-oranges comparison.

It isn’t about ethnicity, it’s about what is in the mind in Taiwan’s case.

@bingobango : As of 2022, heaps of this going on in Chinese cyberspace, where the language of exterminating Taiwanese separatists has become frighteningly commonplace.

Here are some examples to consider:

Kevin Slaten, a researcher of Chinese politics and civil society, sent some numbers around showing how exterminationist rhetoric directed against Taiwanese independence and democracy advocates has been rising rapidly on Twitter. Slaten pointed out that a photo of the Laguna killer has him at a meeting of one of the Chinese United Front anti-democracy and anti-Taiwan hate groups, indicating a banner that proclaims “quickly exterminate independence devils” (迅猛滅獨妖).

Slaten reports of the well-known call to genocide known as “leave the island, kill all the people” (留島,不留人): “Based on recently collected data, the overall frequency of Twitter posts advocating this genocidal phrase has remained elevated since 2020. There have consistently been hundreds of these posts every month, whereas before mid-2019, it was usually a few dozen per month.”

Anecdotal reports suggest the same thing is happening on other platforms such as Facebook and Line. As Taipei-based activist Sean Su (蘇襄) observes, “Chinese forums online often write or share memes featuring horrifying images of raping and killing Taiwanese.”

Source: https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2022/05/23/2003778646

Guy

1 Like

Taiwanese don’t seem at all concerned about what’s happening.
Maybe we should be the same, we are foreigners we are not ethically Chinese so we know less than them.
However we seem to think we do?

1 Like

Actually Taiwanese can go to China, if just to avoid any possible fighting.

Xi already made it so that any Taiwanese with taibaozheng can live and work in China in 2018.

Not the best choice, but plenty of remote places in China to go to if your objective is avoid fighting.

Or Western countries can do the same for Taiwanese, let them just immigrate to their country without restrictions if they really are that concerned.

2 Likes

Don’t forget Lu Shaye, Ambassador of the PRC to France expressing China’s intentions to reeducate Taiwanese.

Put otherwise: off to the camps you go!

Guy

They are worried about you. If I read that from thousands of miles away. I’d worry too

3 Likes

I keep hearing all these stories about how Taiwanese don’t really care, but isn’t that just the way people deal with things here?

I’ve been in a company where the boss announced he was closing the company in the morning. I was spacing out about my life, career and whatever, but Taiwanese co-workers were talking about what they were having for lunch.

4 Likes

As Kevin Rudd said in that absolutely excellent video and analysis shared by @hansioux yesterday, the job of these diplomats is to give something to make Xi Jinping smile when he reads the news in the morning. They arent really trying to be diplomats per se, neither is what they said truthful or based on actual policy.

1 Like

Just send this back.

lmao

8 Likes

That why I say we are not ethically Chinese, different way of thinking.
Friends 2 sons at uni are only worried about getting a job after uni, Chinese invasion not even on their minds.

1 Like

I meant, maybe people are dealing with things different internally, not necessarily not worried.

Beijing will ‘re-educate’ Taiwan if it takes over island, Chinese ambassador warns.

1 Like

Yes, spoken in the distant historical era of . . . August 2022.

Guy

Sending it now lol.

Retired founder of UMC (semiconductor fab) personally announced to donate US$100 million to Taiwanese military for the purpose of raising awareness and bolstering morale.

10 Likes

Its how the way taiwanese are. taiwanese dont like confrontation of any kind. the culture here is that if there is possibility of conflict, lets find a way to avoid it by pretending it doesnt exist or just ghost each other.

Yes taiwanese have lived with this fear far longer than we foreigners have and so they care less and Since it never happened so they think it never will. It happens when u live in a safety bubble for too long that u dont think how messed up the outside world really is.

2 Likes

Geezus Christ.

Nice.