Can earthquakes be predicted?

Nope, so that’s 2 right, 1 wrong.

Just a thought…

If someone were to say “I think I’ve figured out a way to predict earthquakes” and this were, say, Banda Aceh about two and half weeks ago. Then, that same someone demured when asked to elaborate on their methods, how would they look now, assuming anyone survived to log on to Forumindonesia.com?

Are these for sale yet in Taibei?

Given the rumble this morning, I paid attention to this headline

[quote]Two Alaska volcanoes show signs of eruption
01/31/05 08:14 PM, EST
One Alaska volcano has been emitting small bursts of ash for three weeks and another is being shaken by tremors, indicating that eruptions are possible at both within weeks, seismologists said Monday.[/quote]

http://www.cnn.com/virtual/editions/europe/2000/roof/change.pop/frameset.exclude.html

Where there’s lava and smoke, there’s quakes and fire.

OOC

Here are some folks who think that past performance is indicitive of future results. Is a big one due for S.A.? If so, how about the three in a row in less than 14 hours yesterday for Ilan (Yilan)? Oh, pales in comparison I guess.

< Non-functioning link removed >

OOC

I predict there will be a very large earthquake in Taiwan in the next month to 6 weeks.

Somebody should organize a Forumosa earthquake lottery.

I’d love to humour ‘fox’ but i was in central Taiwan for 921 and there’s nothing humorous in that!

let’s just marvel at nature and the power it has to give you a really bad headache without warning, enjoy life and stop trying to predict the next horrible disaster.

:raspberry:

I don’t think it’s in bad taste to try and predict earthquakes.

Let’s say I have something that I believe accurately predicts earthquakes. I make predictions and they turn out to be right. That’s a good thing isn’t it? (I mean, not that the earthquakes happened, but that I was able to predict them).

Brian

I have no problem with scientists attempting to predict earthquakes, good on ya, i don’t understand unjustified predictions from people that i don’t perceive to be in the know!

we all understand what causes an earthquake but there’s no way of measuring the pressure build up where the plates meet and certainly no way of knowing where the weak point is.

so predict away but don’t do it lightly.

by the way my dog doesn’t move when there’s an earthquake ,but maybe’s he’s not one of those earthquake dogs!

Yes there is.

I’ll do it however I please.

And anyway, I think I’m as qualified as the next guy having reviewed professionally the Terrestrial, Oceanic and Atmospheric sciences journal for years which is one of the leading publications in the world for earthquake research. Not that I applied much of what I know about earthquakes to this prediction. However, I believe in the simple knock on effect. If there is a big earthquake in Turkey, Indonesia, or Mexico there is a good chance of a big one hitting Taiwan. Taiwan after all is one of the most active earthquake regions in the world. In fact, statistically speaking there is more than a 70% chance of a better than 6 earthquake striking Taiwan every 200 days.

so by your own admittance you are just regurgitating some other scientists data and studies…case rested! :raspberry:

I think you had better lay off the red pills and start on the blue ones buddy because you are way out there on the pent up.

There is an ignore function just pop me on the top of your list.

No, what Fox is doing is using the studies of scientists to make an educated prediction based on previous cycles of earthquakes, earthquake statistics and the relationships between tectonic plates and their respective movements.

i’m on the green ones right now, will ignore you after you stop making stupid predictions and after your prediction of a big one in the next 6 weeks doesn’t come off and if it does i hope it’s closer to you this time! :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Well I’d never wish that on anyone so I think you had better switch from the greens and stick with the blues. It’s silly to wait, don’t you think?

silly to wait before i switch to the blues or silly to wait for the big one?

take it your on the blues? :stuck_out_tongue:

Fox is within his rights to predict an earthquake if he so wishes.

Just because you were in an earthquake it doesn’t remove the right of other people to try to predict them.

Back up your statement and get into a discussion as to why you think Fox’s predictions are unjustified.
I think the main reason you annoyed that Fox is making predictions is that you were caught up in 9/21. Well, tough. So were thousands and thousands of other people.

[quote]I hope it’s closer to you this time!
[/quote]

I would say that’s un-called for.

:notworthy: maybe i’m being over sensitive but i don’t get off by predicting death and destruction and that’s all there is to it!

have a discussion in the pub maybe but when you are going to stand up on a pedestal and announce a big earthquake i’m going to give you a hard time.

dangermouse what is it that you don’t get? :loco: :loco:

i am not saying fox doesn’t have a right to predict earthquakes, i’m saying it’s a little non-sensicle to post it here. what does he want? praise, applause, a pint or just simply ignoring?

there will be another big earthquake here without a doubt, and yes it is related to other plate movements but it remains unpredictable, so dangermouse whilst you are asking me to justify why don’t you jusify your ’ yes there is ’ statement and inform us all so we can run for cover!

and if you’d been in a big earthquake you might actually understand a little more than you do!

:raspberry: