Can foreigners purchase property?

Is it possible for foreigners with Joining Family ARC Visa to purchase property, get a mortgage? Is it possible for PR holders to purchase property, get a mortgage? :?:

Foreign nationals are limited as to the types of real property they can own. Generally, agricultural land and forests are restricted and foreign nationals cannot purchase the same. However, most foreign nationals are permitted to purchase and own residential property. A foreign national will need to prove reciprocity with the foreign national’s home country. This can cause complications, for example, if the situation varies from state to state, as it does in the United States.

Specifically, foreign nationals may purchase and own real property for the following uses:

Residence
Store/factory
Church
Hospital
School for foreign children
Diplomatic missions
Cemeteries

Please see the Real Estate and Housing Forum.

From what the sometime (landowning) Forumosans Jidani and Zhong the rice-farmer said APRC holders can own certain types of agricultural land, but not others. They can’t own forestry land.

Brian

I regret to say that with the lack of foreigners buying property in Taiwan’s hot land market, the Administrators have seen to close down the “Land Development via Inflated Equity Loan DIY Forum”.

Well, actually, that has been renamed to the “Real Estate and Housing Forum.”

Accordingly … that is probably the best location for inquiries on this subject, but your inquiries are welcome here in General Legal Matters unless moved by my Co-Moderator.

And by the way … according to what information I have been able to get from local Real Estate agents here in my District of Taipei, foreigners cannot buy land. However, pointed inquiries by my friends of long residence with the Ministry of the Interior appears to indicate that such information is incorrect.

Welcome to Taiwan, and best wishes.

As I indicated above, with certain limitations, foreign nationals may purchase and own real property in Taiwan for the following uses:

Residence
Store/factory
Church
Hospital
School for foreign children
Diplomatic missions
Cemeteries

hmmmmmm

Moderator’s note: [color=indigo]After the death of Dr. Robert Irick some years back, the Ministry of the Interior reportedly issued a new ruling that for those foreigners being placed in local cemeteries, no separate application for permanent residency is required. [/color]