Can get interviews, job offers, but no help with work permit

Hi,

I have had a few interviews for non-teaching positions in the past few weeks, and have received some interesting job offers. However, none of the prospective employers show any interest in helping me apply for a work-permit (jobs aren’t in gov’t specified industries, I don’t meet provable experience requirements, whatever).

I have had some recommend ‘other means’, ie. student visa, visitor visa, etc., etc., but nothing palatable.

Thoughts? Advice?

Much appreciated!

Lee

It would be more helpful if you supplied specifics:What’s your nationality? What’s your area of expertise? Your qualifications? Your aims?

I didn’t provide specifics because essentially I’m hoping to hear other’s experience and how they’ve dealt with the problem. I’m Canadian, have no more qualifications than the average English teacher besides perhaps that I am fluent in French as well as English, and have decent Chinese (all-Chinese workplace would not present a problem). I have a run of the mill B.A., have little in the way of impressive work experience… etc. I’m looking at proofreading/PR/sales type work, although my main interest is in working at ANY company where I’m able to do the work, speak Chinese, and keep living in Taiwan.

Basically, even though they’re interested in hiring me, the companies I’ve talked to seem to think they will just get the ‘a local could do this’ type rejection letter from the labour bureau.

So, any thoughts would be very welcome. Something tells me it’s a long shot that people are going to come out with whatever dubious stories they have haha but I’ll get no answers at all if I don’t ask :slight_smile:

The first time I applied for a media job here I had no formal media work experience. However, my senior colleague from the university where I used to teach Chinese in London wrote a letter stating that a considerable part of my teaching work consisted of teaching translation. The bureaucrats accepted that this qualified me to work as a translation editor.

You might find similar ways to get round the restrictions.

I’m looking at proofreading/PR/sales type work, although my main interest is in working at ANY company where I’m able to do the work, speak Chinese, and keep living in Taiwan.

Well, since you are Canadian where english is your national language. A english teaching job would get you are very impressive paid in Taiwan consider that you have a collage degree, or a teaching certificate of any sort (which won’t take too long to get) Beside a lot of school or Buxiban will be more willing to help you applied for a work permit with your qualification, applied for work permit is like their specialty. But you want a non-teaching job, it will take you a long time before you can find a company that will suit your need. Your potential employer will have to ask the Council of Labout Affair to approve hiring you in the what ever position they gave you. And they will have to pay you the minimum amount of wages approve by the CLA in order to hired you legally. So I am guessing most company could not afford to pay the amount the CLA want or that they have no knowledge whatsoever in how to applied for a foreigner worker. The minimum wages for a foriegn white-collar worker is basically around 36k to 48k depend on your qualification and experience. So it is essential for your employer to know what they have to know before agreeing on employing you. If there’s a will there’s a way.