Can Hass avocadoes be grown in Taiwan?

I’m assuming they can’t. Does anyone know why not?

4 Likes

1 Like

I appreciate that there are pussies in Taiwan, thanks for the confirmation. However, why aren’t Hass avocadoes grown?

I’m no expert. Are these Hass?

I’ve no idea beyond the papaya

Hass Avocados are patented

The patent must have expired by now. Or is it different in the US?

patents are only valid in the country it’s patented in.

If it’s not patented in Taiwan, it’s fair game.

Probably expired by now, but there may be regulations about growing non-native species of plants. You would probably need proper permission from the agriculture department.

Yeah, it must be down to some internal political issue. Growers of local avocadoes refuse to change, or something.

It’s weird, because Taiwan has the water. Hass would be an export goldmine

Avocado grow here.

Have seen Hass imported here as fruit, so probably not a pathogen risk. Although avocado do have diseases.

My guess is that it simply comes down to economics. What is better to the farmer? 5 tonnes or 30 tonnes? The local varieties produce FAR more quantity. And this overwhelmingly describes the lions share of fruit production commercially in Taiwan. size, shelf life and disease resistant. flavor comes after.

If I were a betting man, that’s my bet.

But, there are people growing hass, and other western varieties here (from scions, not seeds). they just arent commercially grown (yet). no idea if they will be in the future. I suspect not really unless all the farms throughout the Americas turn to deserts.

Edit. Iwould be interested if parents exist here aswell. I sort of doubt it, but it isnt crazy expensive here (i think 20 or 30k nt/year).

My guess is the only one interested in patentingtthe variety here would be the contract holder for imports, and i doubt they care enough.

I also wonder if the Taiwan government has somehow formed some form of “agreement” on germplasm and variety protections with the US or others? I have no idea on that, but would be interesting to look into. On a number of things, not just avocado.

Genetic theft is pretty common globally though. Usually not worth the lawsuits, and everyone knows that. Save lawsuits for quarantine and pathogen disputes :upside_down_face: .

1 Like

Hass does not grow as well in humid areas like Hawaii. Taiwan is much more humid than Hawaii so will produce low quality fruit. Hass does best in California where it was invented.

3 Likes

Interesting. Any idea why? I just assumed they grafted them to the local ones here out of convenience. Perhaps there are root issues with taiwans wet for hass?

Anything that grows in Florida grows in Taiwan

I have no idea why Hass avocados aren’t grown in Taiwan but I do know that some ridiculously high number (like 98%) if Hass varieties originate from the same tree. This is why countries like Australia and New Zealand have been trying to create new varieties through cross breeding. Maybe that’s what a Taiwan is trying to do? You can probably find answers from the Taiwan agricultural university located in Tainan.

You’re a dude? Looks like a dude’s hand.

This guy’s talking about it at some length

He seems to be saying they’re difficult to export, and not especially suitable for growing here.

I found this searching on 哈斯酪梨, there’s more talk about them.

Some more here

This for example

https://shopee.tw/product/736401229/16960179136?utm_source=an_16136160000&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_campaign=-&utm_content=534c455556594d4238674d62334537525a677346----&af_siteid=an_16136160000&pid=affiliates&af_click_lookback=7d&af_viewthrough_lookback=1d&is_retargeting=true&af_reengagement_window=7d&af_sub_siteid=534c455556594d4238674d62334537525a677346----&c=-&deep_and_deferred=1

3 Likes

Not my video, lol.