Can I be forced to download an app for communicating?

I work for a public school and they are starting to make us use an app for all communication. In the past they would just send us emails. The app isn’t Line, or Telegram. I would be fine with those since they actually work. The app was designed just for posting and communicating stuff with the schools and the office. It’s a pretty terrible app and lots of other teachers are having trouble with it. There’s also no website/computer version either. So, can they force us to use it even though they don’t pay for our phone or phone bill?

As with most things these days, the answer really depends on how much fuss you’re prepared to make about it, rather than what the Law says.

If other teachers are having trouble with it, would it not be possible for you all to have a friendly meeting with whoever thinks he’s in charge and tell him it’s not fit for purpose? If you suggest some mutually-acceptable alternative (Line or whatever) rather than just having a whinge, he might (possibly) see the value in keeping the serfs happy.

1 Like

I understand the frustration, but in short the answer is yes they can.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I would even go that far. It might be frustrating, but if it was all fun and games they wouldn’t pay you. Of course they can.

1 Like

Why make trouble in your life by fighting for stuff like this? Just download the app, keep them happy and spend your energy elsewhere.

Someone either made the app or recommended it, and your protest will cause that person to lose face. Which will just start a chain reaction of possible spiteful shit.

7 Likes

I had the same problem two times now, one was in Taiwan, and the otherer here in Germany.
In Taiwan I told the boss to provide me with a phone since I can’t know what the software is capable of doing on my phone.
So I got a company phone!

In Germany I was in an interview with several applicants at the same time. During the presentation, they told us about the app we must install on our phone where all the patients data would be stored.
I questioned that in front of everyone, critized the privacy issues for me and the patients since I won’t be able to use my phone anymore the way I please, unlocked, giving it to family members etc.
There were two more issues during that presentation and when asked to introduce ourselves during that strange interview, I told those ca 20 people in the room what I was thinking of the whole thing and that he could throw my aplication into the garbage.
The email rejecting my aplication was in my inbox 30 minutes later.

So employer wants to use my phone, PC and install software on it, I say go and …

6 Likes

My employers owns my computer and can track everything on it. But that is okay since it’s ‘their’ computer.

2 Likes

I was just curious about the law. I have complained about it once or twice.

I have asked them. I’m guessing their boss tells them that we have to use it.

How can they require me to download this app on my personal phone? It’s not started anywhere in the contract that we must use this app.

I’m asking because it’s my personal phone, why do I need a company app on my phone. Also the app doesn’t work.

More than likely the education department had extra money and decided to make the app.

I’m not saying they track me but they do have access to my storage. I assume that’s to save messages or something, but can’t be sure.

2 Likes

Your funeral.

If the app doesn’t work then eventually they will come to that conclusion and change it. You don’t win points by sticking out in Asia.

I mean do what you want, but it’s a silly thing to cause trouble about.

What’s the benefit of you protesting this ? What do you hope to achieve?

1 Like

Your argument is sort of like saying “why do I have to wear this uniform on my body?“ when an employer requires and provides a uniform.

Just use their app.

4 Likes

It just seems like part of their work processes. They certainly don’t need to list every single thing you might be required to do in a job in the contract. I wouldn’t think you’ll have much luck protesting it anywhere. I’d just do it. That’s the best advice I could give you.

2 Likes

That’s not the best advice I would give.
Get an old cheap phone, a cheap simcard, and use it for work to keep the peace!
Don’t use your everyday private phone.
I find it very disturbing that so many here are ok with it.

14 Likes

I just want to be able to use an app that works correctly, like Line or even just email.

As you said the employer pays for and provides the uniform so of course I would wear it. My employer is only providing the app, not the phone or a phone plan. That’s like providing only part of the uniform, like the hat. I would still need to provide the shirt and pants.

Why should I be required to use my valuable phone space or data for this?

If this app had a web version or app on the computer then I would be fine with it. I have a work computer at my desk that I would be happy to use their app on.

I know they don’t have to list everything we are required to do but they should certainly list things we are required to do on personal devices or time.

So foreign teachers in my city should just suck it up and download this app on their personal phones just to get information or talk to the people in the head office, while all the local teachers don’t need the app and can just send emails to the office?

you are contradicting yourself a little. if the employer gmails you or uses line, you are ok (even though they dont provide the phone or the data plan), but since its a crappy app they designed, suddenly it becomes a human rights issue…

4 Likes

Did you mention that previously? I must have missed it. I guess you could call it a form of discrimination, and I can see how that makes it more annoying, but I’m just not seeing how it makes any imposition on you. Again, I doubt you’ll have much luck protesting. Discrimination law enforcement here is rather, well, flexible and based on specific conditions of employment. In this case I suspect their desire to communicate with foreign teachers in a specific way would be seen as specific to their particular situation and not causing harm to anyone. Am I missing something that this requirement is actually having some negative impact on you besides being annoying?

1 Like

I beg to differ. My success so far has relied on sticking out.

My success has been learning to shut up and choose my battles. Or just saying something and then doing otherwise, like Taiwanese colleagues do.

Honestly it’s up to the OP, but just expect blowback.

4 Likes

From a employer’s POV, here are my thoughts.

I just recently started to use an app/program to help with task management. It takes a bit of getting used to when starting a new process of getting things done/organized as a team and learning a new program. If my employee had legitimate issues and think another app or brings me another idea/solution, I would listen and see how I can best improve. Perhaps it’s my fault if I didn’t get them ready to use the app with ease as well.

If the employee refuses to use it because it’s “hard”…then I think it’s time to move on as this is what we are doing and you can’t participate if you don’t use it.

2 Likes

My suggestion is buy a burner phone 2nd hand, pay using the prepay system (i think the cheapest is 180/2 months, but someone else can confirm. Then your private info is protected and you need not worry.

2 Likes

It seems to be the way of the world these days that The Law is largely irrelevant, and probably more so in Taiwan. As someone mentioned back there, you need to choose your battles carefully.

Personally, I find almost all cellphone-based apps to be unusable shite, and any app that’s supposed to be a productivity tool is almost certainly a timewaster. But that’s probably just me.

1 Like