Can I be sued if my girlfriend has debts I didn't know about?

Hello guys, another topic that I need of an insight,
Im my partner went into debts that i didnt knew then suddenly vanished, would I be liable or get sued for being her bf/gf?

Thanks in advance

Your gf’s debt?

Did you in any way vouch for her?!

1 Like

Nope i didnt. There were no written contracts either. Just all her verbal agreement. But i am trying to help her recover as much as possible.

You should stay out of it is my advice.

And how are you helping her “recover” her debt? What does that even mean?

6 Likes

Trying to lend her some money that i have

1. what kind of debts? Underground at usury rates, or aboveground at credit card rates?
  2. how much in NT$?
  3. how long have you known her and how did you meet?
1 Like

Her personal debt with other person piled up into a whopping million already.

Been a year were together. But just now i knew that she has this on her back way long ago :face_with_spiral_eyes::face_with_spiral_eyes:

If she’s just your girlfriend, you have zero obligation to pay off her debts. Unless you signed something. Please tell me you didn’t sign anything.

3 Likes

Her personal debt shouldn’t affect you unless you have some kind of contract with her to provide her with a loan or something, even then her liabilities aren’t your liabilities.

Not legal advice but I’d have doubt you could be held for anything she isn’t paying.

1 Like

A year is not a long time for a relationship but a very long time to lie to one’s partner.

Idk why you want to pay off her debt. You getting played, bruh.

12 Likes

This does smell a little of scam, doesn’t it? :open_mouth:

6 Likes

It sounds like a deal breaker. Right before the holidays.

1 Like

what is the specific debt? for a business? credit card? that other friend lent money to your gf? what?

2 Likes

If this is money owed to a 地下錢莊, run, don’t walk. This sounds more like a 仙人跳 though, honestly.

Well she doesnt ask anything from me. Its just a sudden reaction.prolly shes just bad at managing her expenses thats why eveything piled and fucked up. I am not into any agreement or contracts tho.

For buy n sell purposes and lending other people as well with interest

Now is the time to ask yourself if this is a person you would sign a legally binding contract with in marriage.

4 Likes

So, she was borrowing money for buy n sell purposes (buying and selling what? Ebay? Ruten?)
And she was ALSO lending to other people as well with interest? So, she is OWED money, too?
She was on both ends of lending/borrowing cycle?

2 Likes

Not really tho. Wont have any ties like that. I just help to ease up her tensions as little as possible but im not gonna lie to myself, i cant shoulder that huge responsibility. Therefore I state that, i have no idea of what she has ran into

You can support her and not pay off her debt. That is not your obligation at all. Sounds like she needs to get her finances under control.

3 Likes