"Can I be your friend?"

Why is nobody ever asking me to be their friend? Why? :cry: :fatchance:

Est-ce que tu veux devenir mon ami?

People, people, people… Why are you making it so complicated when it’s so simple!? This shouldn’t be a discussion about friendship at all, because, as somebody already explained it here, to Taiwanese people the English word “friend” has a much, much lighter meaning than it does to us. Please, absorb this cultural difference, re-set the reference in your vocabulary and move on :unamused:

Another thing you’re wasting time on discussing is whether these people have a hidden agenda or not. That one is simple too: so they want to practice English or just think it’s interesting to talk to a foreigner. SO WHAT?! What’s the big deal if that’s their motivation? Why be so righteous about it? So they

I like the way you think, tash. However, I must say that it has to be totally different from a woman’s point of view. Being a guy myself, I don’t get all that many “let’s be friends” kind of come ons. When I do, it’s pretty easy to figure out what the other person means. Sometimes it IS just a desire to speak to a foreigner, and sometimes it is just to speak to a foreigner.

It’s pretty easy for me to turn someone down; being taller than 90% of the people here, it’s hard for me to feel intimidated or put-upon. However, for a girl I think the experience is completely different, and I think any woman who readily agreed to ‘be someone’s friend’ at the first asking is asking for trouble, or at least ongoing irritation.

I like the idea of a business card pointing to an English school. You don’t have to use it every time, but for those “hullo…tap tap tap” type times, it would be good to have. A lot less rude than mace to the eyes, anyway. :wink:

… and on a less serious note

Then they need to understand the meaning of the word ‘friend’ if they’re going to use it. They need an English lesson, for which they can pay just like every other student.

If they come up to you and speak in Chinese then it’s up to you to interpret their meaning clearly, but if they’re doing it in English then they’re going to have to learn to do so more effectively if they’re going to get anywhere:

HI! Do you want to be my aqcuaintance?

See, it’s easy. FOB, get some cards made up. :sunglasses:

Seems to me I recall a certain guy who wanted to “be friends” with a certain lady he did not know but saw one day on the streets of Taipei. He went out of his way tracking her down and things turned out quite well, so I hear.

Did he have his own agenda? I think yes. How is this the slightest bit different?

Hmm.[/quote]

Jeez! What a looser!

I would never beat about the bush like that. “Be friends”, begorrah. I figure that if you’re going to try and pick someone up you should be honest about your intentions from the start. I remember once telling a girl in a well-known bar that I wasn’t looking for casual sex and she walked off without another word. You might as well be honest about your intentions. Why bullshit with all this no-ulterior-motive malarkey?

I had a similar experience myself to the ‘certain guy’ you mention recently, and opened with [quote]Then I saw this vision.

Red moto, a real moto with gears and leather saddlebags. Chopper. Girl driving. Oooooh!! Slim, pink top, long blond hair. Shapely and pretty too.

And then she was gone.

Who is she and where can I find her? Is she single? Attainable? Please tell me she doesn’t smoke. I. Am. Smitten.[/quote]

I think that communicates pretty clearly that I was seeking a relationship/encounter going beyond merely being an aqcuaintance. And the first words I ever said to the girl were not “Are you my friend Lolita?” (Hey! What happened to the ‘wanker’ emoticon?)

FOB, if some random guy looked at you then rushed off to buy flowers, then pursued you down the street and flagged you down to explain that he had been absolutely wowed when he saw you and couldn’t help making a fool of himself and he just wanted you to know how sexy he thought you were and what did he have to do to persuade you to let him buy you a Belgian Coffee or at least get your phone number to call you and try to persuade you 27 times a day until you gave in… what would you do?

Well, not ‘what would you do’ but ‘how would you feel’?

I hardly ever get asked to be someones friend, perhaps I walk to fast or something. I have a problem with middle aged men asking me if I’m gay, though:

“Where you come from?”
“England”
“You very handsome”
“Erm…thank you”
“So, you are teacher, yes?”
“Hmm, yes, that’s right”
“So…you go to gay bar?”

It’s happened 4 times already this year.

:wanker: Still here. :whistle:

Then they need to understand the meaning of the word ‘friend’ if they’re going to use it. They need an English lesson, for which they can pay just like every other student.
[/quote]

Boy, you’re tough! Ouch!

I can’t tell for sure if you’re really bitter or just joking. If it’s the latter, you can ignore my reply.

Come on, are you really saying you’d demand of someone at the beginner’s level to comprehend the difference, especially since they see everyone around them use the same word in this context? And if they did use the word ‘acquaintance’ you’d be nice to them?

How can you demand that Taiwanese people use the word “friend” in English to mean something specifically Western in concept (and outside their experience) when you likely use the word “peng2you3” in Mandarin to mean the Western concept of friend, not the Taiwanese concept that can sometimes be more like “acquaintance” – but not always?

Doesn’t make sense to me.

You’re in Taiwan. Get with the program. If you ever go back to the West, you’ll spend months wondering why no one talks to you in public places. :smiley:

You preach it, Ironlady - the gospel of linguistic awareness!

Threads like this that frequently use “us” and “them” dichotomies really make me wonder about the nature of some people’s lives in Taiwan. I know sites like this make it easy to meet other foreigners, but do so many of you really see yourselves as islands floating amongst the natives, separated from them by some magic force field?

There’s all of this “They act that way…” and “The Taiwanese…” The way I see it, YOU are here, YOU ARE TAIWAN. And that’s just the way it is, cuz that’s life, and it’s sad that people can live here for years and not see themselves as one of the People. I dunno, there’s just too much egoism here sometimes. Too many chips on too many shoulders, and too many superiority trips.

Maybe we should call this site Archipelagosa. :sunglasses:

No one ever asks me to be their friend. Maybe since I am extremely handsome, people are scared to approach me. :sunglasses:

[quote=“Jefferson”]
There’s all of this “They act that way…” and “The Taiwanese…” The way I see it, YOU are here, YOU ARE TAIWAN.[/quote]Yes very nice, but I can’t see myself being taken very seriously when saying things like “we in Taiwan…” or “we Taiwan residents blah blah blah.”
We’re not from here, we just live here. You and I never will be from here. The Taiwanese don’t randomly walk up to to other Taiwanese they don’t know and ask to be friends with them. Why single the aliens out for this?

I dislike being singled out for different treatment whether good or bad, just based on the fact I look different from most everyone else. It’s not my fault I have two heads and both of them are butt-ugly.

Part of the problem is that they will rarely ever let you be “one of the People.” The dichotomy comes from “them,” IMO. I’ve tried very hard to immerse myself into life in Taiwan as much as possible, but it ain’t that easy, even if you speak Chinese as well as Ironlady or have an ROC passport like Satellite TV. There may be a few who accept you as one of them, but those, in my experience, are rare occurences.

I somewhat doubt it is acceptable to follow a woman who is clearly tyrying to get away from you, even in Taiwan.

See, I just asked my coworker (who is on the floor laughing now) and he says NO. Guys are not allowed to act like this here and that heis a creep and that I shold have beat him up.

I understand what you’re saying - it’s the old foreigner’s lament - but I think it’s too easy to fall back on that argument everytime someone gets your Hanes in a bunch.

What irks me is the superiority complex (mixed with cultural ignorance) that people sometimes demonstrate in this type of thread.

And yes, Taiwanese DO, after speaking with someone at a coffee shop, bus stop, or whatever, commit the heinous act of asking if the other person wants to be friends. For sure, some of these encounters are initiated by strange people (happened to me just the other day), but certainly not always. At the end of the day, I just think some folks on this site are paranoid, which may be due to chronic culture shock (which can last 5, 10, 20 years).

I think another poster made an excellent point about foreigners in Taiwan getting A LOT from locals in terms of different types of help (probably much more than you realize). Think about that the next time you blow someone off. Just the other day I let a group of students interview me (in English) for 20 minutes. Not something I’d want to do every day, but, eh, no big deal once in a while.

Anyway, yes, I have been here a long time, and yes, I do speak fluent Chinese and some Taiwanese, so maybe I’m more sensitive when it comes to the subtleties of people’s behaviorisms. Sometimes I suspect I’m more Taiwanese than I realize. :wink:

I often have desperately lonely moments when I feel like going up to random people (usually foreigners because I don’t speak Chinese) and saying: Hello, will you be my friend? (Please, please, please, please, please!!!)
Thank god, I’m too shy for that.

Of course it’s your right to say no, and I think it’s very nice of SOF to try to do it in a polite way. … Oh well, I’m not gonna preach today. Just do whatever you want. :slight_smile:

Just for the record - I am a woman :wink: (why is there no ‘girly wink’ emoticon?)

I always let the students intervew me. Once I had one ask about astrology and I went on about how I thought it was dumb and that stars did not control my life. then they asked if i had any friends that were a cancer. And I said “I don’t know” and they asked which sign most if ny friends were and I said I didn’t know because astrology is stupid.

Tghen when they walked off I noticed the astrology club logo on the back of thier shirts… oops.

As far as paranoid, I don’t think that is the case on this subject. I think this behavior is not aceptable in either place. All but two of my friends are taiwanese and when I complain about this sort of thing, they always seem so amazed that people act so rudely, stupid.

forgive my typing. In a dark room.