Can I build a life in Taiwan?

Hey there everyone,

Been flicking through the posts and thread and thought I would join.

So Im a newbie from Aus

Im currently 20 years old, finished high school and deferred from Uni for 2 years.
I think it would be best for me to leave and start anew, give myself a chance to change who I am and challenge myself.
So Im looking to start live fresh in Taiwan… Ive always loved Asian culture and was either planing to finish my degree here and go to Hong Kong or alternatively move to Taiwan within the next few months.

As mentioned above, I would like to start fresh…so going to Taiwan soon is what I would like…

My plan so far is to go to Taiwan and study Chinese language (at MLC) for a year or so to become as fluent possible in the language.

From there, I can then enrol at a University in Taiwan and start building a career and life in Taiwan. Doing a Bachelors Degree in Finance and look at getting regular employment in Taiwan with other Taiwanese citizens.

My question to all of you:

Most of you live in Taiwan, is my goal feasible? Can a foreigner become employed like every other citizen? Would you recommend for or against it?

Teaching would not be something I would look at doing career wise and it seems like a competitive industry. It would be something I would do whilst studying to pay bills and support myself. Not to mention I dont have a Bachelors yet :stuck_out_tongue:

With that, is teaching English the only way I will be able to support myself whilst studying? Can my English “”skills”” be used elsewhere?

Any help or advice much appreciated, :slight_smile:

bnn

I do not believe you would earn enough teaching to fund your studies. I doubt you could legally teach anyways as you don’t have a degree which is a requirement, and finding other work would not be easy.

What you want to do is possible, but would be quite difficult. You would need a good amount of funds to pay for tuition and living costs first.

Asian culture… Aussies go to Bali for that :smiley: :smiley:

Secondly you cannot just work as a local citizen as you don’t have residence here. Many companies here don’t employ foreigners as they cannot offer them a work permit.

If I was to arrive with $10000 for the first few months…does it become less difficult?

Yes…we are notoriously connected to Bali…have you heard the Bali 9 or Schapelle Corby :stuck_out_tongue:

much better to go to taiwan armed with ur degree. That gets that out of the way

[quote=“bnn”]If I was to arrive with $10000 for the first few months…does it become less difficult?

Yes…we are notoriously connected to Bali…have you heard the Bali 9 or Schapelle Corby :P[/quote]

Most of us up here can’t even locate Australia on a map, let alone worry about some drug smugglers stuck in Bali prisons. Some of the Bali 9 will probably get executed, which might give some people a wake up call. It’s not like the Bali 9 or Schappele Corby are not guilty.

Just like when Malaysia hung a couple of Aussies for drug smuggling back in 1987. There’s a few foreigners in Taiwan jails for the same thing though. We get a bit of Aussie news up here… they are not unheard of. We get things like Four Corners, AFL and other Aussie news here on TV.

10K Aussie would last 6 months if you were really really careful.

He could take a short cut and find some Taiwanese lass in Aussie to get married too. Then at least he could work. I know a few foreigners in Taiwan who got " Arranged Marriages" just so they can stay here. Once chap I know is doing the marriage shuffle and he has to wait 6 months between wives to stay here :neutral:

The OP can enroll into the new BA programs taught in English. Business and finance at NCCU come to mind. Hopefully, if he has good grades now, maybe some community work, he can then apply to a full or partial scholarship, I am sure that would help. He can study Chinese simultaneously, and maybe get an assitanship or other part time job if necessary to make ends meet. At least he´ll be here, a change of pace/scenery as he wants.

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“bnn”]If I was to arrive with $10000 for the first few months…does it become less difficult?

Yes…we are notoriously connected to Bali…have you heard the Bali 9 or Schapelle Corby :P[/quote]

Most of us up here can’t even locate Australia on a map, let alone worry about some drug smugglers stuck in Bali prisons. Some of the Bali 9 will probably get executed, which might give some people a wake up call. It’s not like the Bali 9 or Schappele Corby are not guilty.

Just like when Malaysia hung a couple of Aussies for drug smuggling back in 1987. There’s a few foreigners in Taiwan jails for the same thing though. We get a bit of Aussie news up here… they are not unheard of. We get things like Four Corners, AFL and other Aussie news here on TV.

10K Aussie would last 6 months if you were really really careful.[/quote]

Im really glad to hear you get AFL on TV…One of the world greatest sports, I’m not biased in the least :stuck_out_tongue:

[Off topic: To most Australian, we believe they are guilty and are happy to see them improsoned, I hope the media shows that.]

Secondly, thanks very much for your responses…
Both are exactly the right perspectives I need. A realistic blunt perspective (read: wake up call) and an enabling answer (what I want to hear).
Both give me something more to work with in order for me to get to Taiwan :thumbsup:

[quote=“bnn”]I’m currently 20 years old, finished high school and deferred from Uni for 2 years.
I think it would be best for me to leave and start anew, give myself a chance to change who I am and challenge myself. [/quote]
That’s not a bad idea.

[quote=“bnn”]My plan so far is to go to Taiwan and study Chinese language (at MLC) for a year or so to become as fluent possible in the language.

From there, I can then enrol at a University in Taiwan and start building a career and life in Taiwan. Doing a Bachelors Degree in Finance and look at getting regular employment in Taiwan with other Taiwanese citizens. [/quote]Fluency in a year or so? Sufficient for university studies? Totally unrealistic.

[quote=“bnn”]Most of you live in Taiwan, is my goal feasible? Can a foreigner become employed like every other citizen? Would you recommend for or against it? [/quote]Against. Even if you could find ‘local-typical employment’, why would you want it? The hours, expectations, and renumeration typically suck.

[quote=“bnn”]Any help or advice much appreciated[/quote]Time off between high school and university is a very good idea. Your roughed out plans regarding Taiwan will likely burn through time and money without bringing much in return.

If you can’t find something more feasible and rewarding, I suggest taking one year off to travel or work, then get yourself into a good work-study program in university. You know, two years of study, then up to a year of a work placement in a related industry; another year of study, another year of work; one more year of study, and your done… with two years of relevant experience, references, and possibly job offers waiting for you.

That kind of work-study program turns a 4-year degree into a 6-year process, but you come out of it with less debt and an enormous headstart on your classmates. My cousin did that in engineering, had a couple of ho-hum assignments, followed by a fantastic 8-months up in Alaska, and standing job offers (and bosses willing to sweeten their offers) when he was done.

But, if you were going to take two years off before starting… well, you’d be finishing your first degree 8 years from now. That may not work out so well.

Well I came here from Australia with no degree, 22 years ago, but had already spent a few years in Brunei Singapre Malaysia. Still here… still surviving fine.

Married an abo, have a half cast kid, became a citizen here. You can do anything if you really want to.

But like our good old Prime minister Malcolm Fraser said… “Life wasn’t meant to be easy”

Getting to Taiwan, easy. Asian Culture, easy, learning Chinese, somewhat less than easy but doable.

You’ll never see Australia again but who cares. I haven’t been there for over 15 years, and before that only a few brief visits since 1986.

[quote=“bnn”]Hey there everyone,

Been flicking through the posts and thread and thought I would join.

So I’m a newbie from Aus

I’m currently 20 years old, finished high school and deferred from Uni for 2 years.
I think it would be best for me to leave and start anew, give myself a chance to change who I am and challenge myself.
So I’m looking to start live fresh in Taiwan… Ive always loved Asian culture and was either planing to finish my degree here and go to Hong Kong or alternatively move to Taiwan within the next few months.

As mentioned above, I would like to start fresh…so going to Taiwan soon is what I would like…

My plan so far is to go to Taiwan and study Chinese language (at MLC) for a year or so to become as fluent possible in the language.

From there, I can then enrol at a University in Taiwan and start building a career and life in Taiwan. Doing a Bachelors Degree in Finance and look at getting regular employment in Taiwan with other Taiwanese citizens.

My question to all of you:

Most of you live in Taiwan, is my goal feasible? Can a foreigner become employed like every other citizen? Would you recommend for or against it?

Teaching would not be something I would look at doing career wise and it seems like a competitive industry. It would be something I would do whilst studying to pay bills and support myself. Not to mention I don’t have a Bachelors yet :stuck_out_tongue:

With that, is teaching English the only way I will be able to support myself whilst studying? Can my English “”skills”” be used elsewhere?

Any help or advice much appreciated, :slight_smile:

bnn[/quote]

About studying Chinese – you would be better off studying Chinese for 4 years in a university and then moving to Taiwan/China. That way, you can take advantage of the environment as soon as you get here. (Instead of being turned off because all the locals speak English to you.)

My advice to you is not to think of the next two years as an intellectual vacation. You should definitely do some research. If you’re into anthropology, for example, you could conduct a miniature ethnography. If you’re into economics, you could do some kind of economics-related fieldwork. The options are limitless. Then go back to Australia and go to university. Talk to your professors about expanding the work that you did here into an undergraduate research project. This would be a good way to attract scholarship money. And, if you’re into graduate school, a good way to get into the best schools in the world. Don’t go to university here. Don’t even consider it. And don’t only major in finance. If you want finance, double major. Do start studying a foreign language your freshman year. That way you’ll have 4 years of it under your belt by the time you graduate. And lastly, math is GOOD. Take as much as you can handle :slight_smile:

Hey.
I was in a really similar situation to you. I came to taiwan from Perth 2 years ago when I was 20. Took a couple of years off Uni and had the time of my life. Studying at NTU CLD. I tried my hand at a BA course here but realised it didn’t suit me. So now I’m 22 and this Feb it’s back to Perth to finish my last year of Uni (DD accounting and chinese) with plenty of life experience and chinese which outstrips my Aussie classmates : )

It was a bit different for me though, I didn’t need to worry financially as i had parental support. If you don’t have a degree and don’t speak chinese…you won’t get work IMHO. Plus if you come over on student visa you are not aloud to. Apply for the scholarship heaps of people i know have it, and they aren’t that smart so i don’t think it’s that hard. Also i live on around $2000AUD a month which is about $60,000NTD… you could probably do it for less.

Coming to Taiwan was the best choice i ever made, great experience, plus i have every intention of returning once i finish my final year.

Good luck man.

well thats one hecka endorsement right there ! :slight_smile:

aloud? I think you meant allowed. I don’t know what the value of education is anymore when people get so confused with basic English vocabulary. Sure these words sound the same but the spelling and meaning are completely different. :laughing:

If you have the opportunity to live in a foreign country for a while then you should absolutely do it, it will change your life for sure. However I would make your plans a little more realistic and open-ended because NT$300k is not enough to get you set up here in the way you are talking about.

I would suggest signing up for a 3 month course at the MLC. If it doesn’t work out then no harm no foul. If you love it here then great, sign up for another 3 months. Unless you are frugal to the point of missing out on a lot of stuff your money would be running dry after 6 months but you would have a great foundation to find some Taiwanese students or night courses back in Oz to continue learning Chinese. Even back in Oz your world will open up.

If you have an average language learning ability then it would probably take the 6 month crash course + 3-4 years hard study + another 1-2 years real world use to get up to a level where you could think about studying in a Taiwan university. By then you will probably have some other ideas so I wouldn’t invest too much in that route.

I first came to Taiwan around 10 years ago around the same age as you on the very same MLC summer course with a lot less money. I had absolutely fuck all going on in the UK but now I have a decent business, a Taiwanese wife, a little boy, a nice house and half way to citizenship. Don’t get too caught up on staying long term your first time around, if you like it enough you will figure out a way to come back.

I don’t really want to study here in Aus…If I ended up staying here and finishing the course Im enrolled in (Bachelor of Arts- Chinese, Bachelor of Commerce) I think it would be more beneficial, finically, to go to Singapore as I imagine the renumeration packages there would be greater.

I thought it would be simple picking up and studying in a foreign country and so many students do the same thing in Australia and also manage to find work whilst studying.

Ive done a Cert II course already in Chinese so I do have an extremely basic understanding but its a good foundation.

One personal question to ask, feel free not to answer it. But for those of you who have studied in Taiwan, have both Chinese and English under their belt, does it open up more job opportunities. I have read in another thread that most believe Chinese (as a second language) to be just a tool and wont get your further ahead than your Taiwanese counterparts.

In all honesty, this is something I will commit to if I it can be done…And I will be able to live quite well… Living on 60k TWD, where a car costs 30k and bills is the other 30k seems to contradict the idea that Taiwan has a decent cost of living.
If being fluent in English doesn’t assist me, then even though Im desperate to start over, Im not sure it would be the right decision.

Alessandro, what exactly did you do whilst in Taiwan, you deferred after 2 years at Uni in Perth to study Chinese language at NTU, whilst there, you gave a shot at a Bachelors degree and now you are returning to Perth to finish the final few years of your degree?

And llary, congratulations on what you’ve achieved…House, family, business, comfortable lifestyle and soon to be a citizen. Good to see it can be done. What did you do in your first 1-2 years in Taiwan?

Thanks in advance,

bnn

Huge mistake thinking you can come here, study and then build a life (a profitable one) worth living. I am sure people will flame me, but you are and always will be an outsider. This isn’t to say you can’t make money in Taiwan, but most people I know do it by doing their own thing (business/consulting/import/export/whatever) and not working for some Taiwanese boss. Coming here and trying to get a job unrelated to English in anyway means you are competing against local talent that will always work harder, longer and cheaper than you ever could or would want to. Get your degree in Aus and then make the move. My 2 cents, feel free to ignore.

Thing is, if you have the bucks you can do whatever you want. But if funds are limited the best thing to do to fund your Taiwan experience would be to have a job. And that mainly entails teaching english. For that at least you have an Ozzie passport (my assumption) which makes it legal to teach english in Taiwan, IF you have a degree. I understand either a 4 year or at least a 2 year with a teaching certificate. I guess you already have the 2 year associate degree? If so , armed with a teaching cert you could teach in Taiwan, far as i know. Let others fill in on that.

Its best to get that 4 year degree out of the way ASAP. But if you simply cannot stand another day back in OZ then find out if your school has an exchange program with a Taiwanese school where you could go to Taiwan and “study” for six months and still build credits towards a degree back in OZ??

If you could do this, you could then spend six months in Taiwan exploring the country when not actually in class. And have a much better feel of things.

Then you can decide if you can teach and spend another year or two perhaps thinking of a business you could do, or perhaps you may have a steady girlfriend you are planning a future with etc.

IF at all possible , at least get that 4 year out of the way. Six months in Taiwan at a school building credits and perhaps initially staying in the dorm will give you dorm mates, a place to stay and start your snoop around town and the country.

I think some forumosans started out in some like manner.

Barring that? Maybe fund a six month stay in Taiwan while learning chinese at an approved school and using that time to decide what to do for the next few years?

[quote=“Satellite TV”]
aloud? I think you meant allowed. I don’t know what the value of education is anymore when people get so confused with basic English vocabulary. Sure these words sound the same but the speeling and meaning are completely different. :laughing:[/quote]
The utter CHEEK of the bloke correcting the spelling of others! Next thing he’ll be teaching us grammar and punctuation! :roflmao:

bnn: if you have enough used chopsticks and glue, you can build anything. Come and give it a go.