Can I buy a tech (for example camera) and pay every month

Hello, good people! I have a question. I want to buy a camera but don’t want to pay all the price at once. I was wondering where can I buy it and pay for example for 10 months each month a fee.

Do you have a local credit card? This is an option with many online purchases at 0% interest, but you would need a card. I’m not sure if physical retailers will do anything similar.

1 Like

I only have local debit card.

I haven’t tried that but I assume it wouldn’t work. I don’t think stores will do that sort of thing on their own here. Maybe someone else will know.

1 Like

I see quite a few products on Shopee that apparently have an installment plan. No idea how it works (or if it’s available to foreigners), but maybe you could check - there’s a “分期0利率” filter near the bottom in the search results.

I also seem to remember reading on here somebody complaining about buying furniture or something on installments, and the company immediately putting a hold for the full amount on that person’s card then deducting the monthly payments from that, thus defeating the purpose of doing installments at all…so who knows. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That’s how I buy my stuff at 全國電子. Aside from the smaller stores they have several Digital City bigger stores where the cameras are more varied, but honest, they may not have such a wide variety.

Without a credit card? How does it work?

I’ve bought a TV and fridge from COSTCO, and an air-conditioner from Carrefour, all paid off interest-free over six months. A friend did it with his credit card, as I don’t have one. I just pay the installment to him every month.

2 Likes

Honestly I want to buy a phone and pay in installments. But aside from the fact this is basically credit, meaning there is a credit check, if you’re a foreigner you can either forget about it or make a scene.

So I’m stuck with a crap phone because I can’t afford 10,000nt as a lump sum.

1 Like

It is one of their advertising hooks. Seems they can deduct it from the account.

I choose the split on my credit card. Lowest was paying 1000 a month for my computer. I just finished paying my cellphone at 2200 a month. Zero interest. It is different from the credit card balance, which includes all expenses.

3 Likes

I see, you can do the same thing online too.

1 Like

Thanks to all for the answers. I think I will buy from my country and ask my parents to ship it. It kinda sucks that people can’t buy stuff here with these installments fees, but it is what it is.

If your parents can buy it for you, why not borrow money from your parents instead and buy here? Shipping is probably more expensive than transfer fee and you can return/exchange if defective.

3 Likes

It depends if the parent or friends are willing to loan. For example none of my friends or family member will do that.

1 Like

People can buy with installment fees, but you need a financial institution to back it up, in the case of Taiwan, credit cards (banks). Like in any country you need some form of credit.

Aren’t you a TW citizen? They give credit cards to citizens for buying a 10NT milk tea at the 7-11.

Credit cards aren’t that easy to get even for TW citizens. They do credit checks, and often this is in the form of verifiable form of income, like tax records. But if you are self employed and don’t have any employer this can be hard to prove. Without the proof they will not issue credit. I suppose another thing they could look for is a big balance in your account but I don’t have it, if I did I wouldn’t need credit.

I thought you had a crappy job you were complaining about last time, why didn’t you apply while working?

I made a scene and got the credit card. The nice thing is that you can get a phone and pay in interest free instalments. The phone company has various deals with different cards

I know you can get phones with interest free installments through ET Shopping.

1 Like