Can I divorce my Taiwanese husband?

Hello!!!

I need some advice…
I’ve been separated from my Taiwanese husband for 5 years. He was out of Taiwan and no plan of coming back. I’ve been here in Taiwan for almost 4years using JFRV visa, I had just extended my ARC for another 2 years. We dont have divorce in my home country. i can apply for an Annulment but too expensive, scandalous and long period of court battle. Can i apply to divorce my husband in Taiwan and on what ground? I am planning to migrate to US… can i remarry? I am using my husband’s surname on my passport, how to change it… need some advice please

Thank you in advance…

[quote=“maui”]Hello!!!

I need some advice…
I’ve been separated from my Taiwanese husband for 5 years. He was out of Taiwan and no plan of coming back. I’ve been here in Taiwan for almost 4years using JFRV visa, I had just extended my ARC for another 2 years. We dont have divorce in my home country. I can apply for an Annulment but too expensive, scandalous and long period of court battle. Can I apply to divorce my husband in Taiwan and on what ground? I am planning to migrate to US… can i remarry? I am using my husband’s surname on my passport, how to change it… need some advice please

Thank you in advance…[/quote]

Yes you can divorce your husband. Is he willing to register the divorece here. You will need to finalize the divorce before you can immigrate to another country.

If he is not here I believe that you can apply on the grounds of abandonment. How long has it been since you can prove that your husband has not lived with you? How long has he been out of Taiwan? You haven’t mentioned if you have any children. Does he provide financial support for you? All these questions are relevant for getting your divorce if you’re claiming to be abandoned.

You cannot re-marry before your divorce is finalized here. It doesnt matter that your home country doesnt allow divorces there, but it will recognize a legal divorce from another country. It sound to me if you’re from the Philipinnes?

How are you planning on immigrating to the US? Whether or not separated or with another person you need to be divorced here before your own immigration can be approved. Can you divorce your husband in the country where he is residing? If not do it here…

You might want to PM me for further advice or call me.

Regards