Can I drive to test centre?

Ok I have a question.

I have a scooter but no licence. I want to do the test and use my own scooter.

Am I allowed to drive the scooter to the testing centre?

I know there is sometimes some provision for this in other countries.

FAIK, everyone rides their scoots to the test center and take the test. And if they don’t pass they scoot home and come back again for another run.

Doesn’t make any sense but then…its Taiwan.

So is there any provision for this in the law? Or is it just the done thing?

I mean is it better for someone to drive me there on my scooter and I do the test or will I be fine just going on my own? (Sorry for the double post I can’t find the edit button!)

I doubt there is a provision in the law for this but the police don’t sit in the DMV parking lot busting those that don’t have licenses that drove to the testing center.

An ex-student is a cop. I can suggest it to him as an easy way of filling his “quota”, if you like.

Considering that many foreigners drive around for years without getting a licence at all, and that cops have given my Taiwanese licence a cursory glance just twice in more than 30,000km of driving motorcycles and scooters here, I think you’ll be OK on your short jaunt to the DMV :slight_smile:

It is not legal, but some (most) people do it (when it comes to scooters; red plates is a different case). I don’t think that cops hide in the parking for busting anybody, but it might happen that a cop stops you on the way to the centre.

Do you need a license to drive in Taiwan?

Not in my experience.

Even when i had an accident and the police were called, they were only interested in ownership papers of the bike, not a driver’s license.

[quote=“urodacus”]Do you need a license to drive in Taiwan?

Not in my experience.

Even when I had an accident and the police were called, they were only interested in ownership papers of the bike, not a driver’s license.[/quote]

I have been asked for my license several times in these years. Been riding A LOT, and involved in a couple of funny situations, that might affect, but in my experience, license is one of the things that they’ll want to check (which makes sense)

Ok then, well if I can I will get someone to drive me there.

Thanks!

[quote=“jesus80”][quote=“urodacus”]Do you need a license to drive in Taiwan?

Not in my experience.

Even when I had an accident and the police were called, they were only interested in ownership papers of the bike, not a driver’s license.[/quote]

I have been asked for my license several times in these years. Been riding A LOT, and involved in a couple of funny situations, that might affect, but in my experience, license is one of the things that they’ll want to check (which makes sense)[/quote]

Locals and APRC holders do not need to carry a driver’s license. In fact they don’t even need to renew their driver’s license anymore. http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2013/06/19/2003565161

[quote=“dasaint”]

Locals and APRC holders do not need to carry a driver’s license. In fact they don’t even need to renew their driver’s license anymore. http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2013/06/19/2003565161[/quote]

You don’t have to have it on you but you still need to have it. If Jesus did not possess a license then it would have been a 5000NT fine.

The police get picked on doing nothing but things have started changing. It’s still inconsistent but I hear of more and more people getting pulled over than when I came 5 years ago.

Bottom line - you want to have a license. Is it likely that you get pulled over on a single trip to the DMV? Very unlikely. Could you get a 5000NT ticket if you drive w/o a license for a year or two? Possibly. I have had to produce my license 2-3 times since I have been here.