Can I get a train from Taipei to Puli?

I’m looking for a train from Taipei to Puli (a high speed one would be nice, but I don’t know if that’s possible). Where do I start looking? I have found this website, but Puli isn’t listed and I don’t know where the closest stop would be.

which Puli? there are several. the one in taroko? no sirree.

You can take the Guoguang bus from Taipei main station down to Puli. Will take maybe 4 hrs

Or the Fongrong bus at Chunghsiao Fuxing MRT station to Puli, this is supposed to be marginally faster, maybe 3.5 hrs

The closest highspeed rail station would be Taichung station, but then you’d have to take a bus to Taichung Train station, and take another bus to get to Puli. The HSR ride will be about an hour, but the busing around afterwards will probable make this come to about the same time as a bus ride.

Why Puli? Boringness.

Huge Buddhist temple, and it’s close to Sun Moon Lake. Plus, if you’re interested in history: for better or worse, Puli was a major center in the 19th century for Christian missionary work targeted at aborigines.

This Puli.

[quote=“lupillus”]You can take the Guoguang bus from Taipei main station down to Puli. Will take maybe 4 hrs

Or the Fongrong bus at Zhongxiao Fuxing MRT station to Puli, this is supposed to be marginally faster, maybe 3.5 hrs

The closest highspeed rail station would be Taichung station, but then you’d have to take a bus to Taichung Train station, and take another bus to get to Puli. The HSR ride will be about an hour, but the busing around afterwards will probable make this come to about the same time as a bus ride.[/quote]

Thanks. I managed to fool around with that train timetable to which I linked above, and found the Fongrong (or something like it), which gave me a time of 3.5 to 3.45 hours.

That’s exactly why.

Chris, that is interesting. And yes, a day trip to Sun Moon Lake would be pleasant.

Lupillus has the best advice - take the bus directly from Taipei. Once you get here, Bo and Yuri’s place is a couple of blocks from the bus station.

When the sun is out, Sun Moon Lake is best viewed early in the morning - it’s just beautiful. Chung-Tai temple is best seen right at dusk, especially if they are firing up the laser beam into space that graces the top of the temple. Every time I go there I can’t help thinking, “Buddhism meets Vegas”…

Don’t let anyone talk you into taking a tour of the Shaoshing Winery here - waste of time.

And if you see some whitey driving around in a red March, be sure to wave! We’re friendly countrified ferners out in these parts.

Thanks for the friendly advice. How comfortable would a 4 hour bus ride be to Puli? Do you know how close the train station is in comparison? By the way, what’s a red March? A kind of car? I didn’t know many foreigners lived out in Puli.

The bus ride is fine. Some buses actually take a short rest at one of the highway rest stops, though I don’t remember which companies they are. The worst part of the ride is from Taichung to Puli itself. The only public transportation here from Taichung is by bus, so even if you rode the train to Taichung, you’d still have to take a bus to get for that last leg of the trip. If you take the bus direct from Taipei, you get to avoid switching vehicles, at least.

As far as getting around Puli goes, I recommend you go through Yuri and Bo - the taxi drivers here will gouge you if it’s at all possible for them to do so.

If you want a fun/slightly odd cultural experience, you can check out Nine Tribes Aboriginal village - They have this weird combination of thrill rides and mock Aboriginal villages. Our out of town friends always want to go there, and it’s not that bad.

Have a great visit!

I did that bus ride last September – very comfortable, no complaints at all. Puli is a nice place IMHO – especially check out the paper making place. I intended to stay about an hour or two and ended up staying there all day. I would have done the papermaking thing again except it seemed embarassing at the time! Really fun. Beautiful overlook within walking distance as well and a little pavilion frequented by very elderly Taiwanese women who just kept mostly pointing to one of them and saying “She’s 80, you know” in Taiwanese (which was lucky since that’s about the limit of what I can handle in Taiwanese these days.)

Thanks guys, that’s very helpful.

If you make it to the Aboriginal village thing, I know someone who wants a photo of the rollercoaster for a rollercoaster database he maintains. No money involved though, but if you’re interested let me know and I’ll give you his email address.

Thanks, that sounds fine. Send me a PM, and if we make it to the village I’ll certainly take some photos.

Any suggestions on where and how I can book and pick up a bus to Puli?