Can I just buy a one-way ticket to Taiwan?

This is risky - unless you have a letter from your ‘employer’ saying they are applying for an ARC on your behalf. CKS can and will turf you out if they so desire. You can organise bogus tix if you like. Better to be safe than sorry.

I think there was a discussion on this recently - do a search.

Do you have the visa yet? I remember one of the requirements to getting the 60day visa was providing a roundtrip ticket. But if you already got the visa with your oneway ticket, you may be okay. It seems like immigration never checked for my return plane ticket if I had a visa (I guess cause they assume you’d have a return ticket to get the visa). Course, it’s been a couple years since I last went to Taiwan…maybe someone who’s been through immigration lately remembers?

I have passed through CKS on a visitor’s visa more times than I ever want to count and I have NEVER been asked at immigration for anything other than my passport and visa (if it isn’t stamped in passport that is) and landing card. Nor have I known anyone who has.
The ticket is something you have to show to get the visa in the first place, some places. Then again, in, for example, HK when you go on one of those cheap group tickets, you don’t pick your ticket up until you get to the airport (at least that used to be the way it worked) so even if you had one you couldn’t show the visa people.
Basically I have found that most visa people will waive the ticket-out requirement if you can show proof of funds. A letter from your employer-to-be would do as well.
Then again you could buy a refundable return and cash in the half you don’t use.
Or you could buy a Miscellaneous Charges Order which is like an air ticket with no destination made out. It is, if you like, a voucher to buy an airticket. All airlines recognize the things. Get one for say US$200 just to show that you have the means to leave if you have to. Then you can just use the thing to pay or part-pay for whatever the next ticket you buy is. The only problem with MCOs is, of course, that some travel agents don’t know how to issue them 'coz they are a pretty rare bird.

If you have a visa already they won’t ask you for the return-ticket, but a few times I’ve been asked for one when I haven’t had a visa but planned on getting a landing visa. The airline won’t let you get on the plane if you don’t have a ticket out becuase they don’t want to bear the expense of taking you back if you get turned away at Taiwan airport. Showing them my credit card and signing a form sying I would bear the expense myself if it happened worked for me twice. Teh third time I was doing a ‘turnaround’ at HK airport and had brought no cash and credit card! I called my girlfriend and she told the airline staff that she was going to bring my credit card to the airport to meet me so that I could buy a ticket back to HK if I got turned away (which I knew wouldn’t happen). This was a touch and go thing involving telexes back and forth between the offices of the ariline in HK and Taiwan. Of course I just bullshitted them and told my girlfirend to forget about it and stay in Taipei, and of course I got the landing visa no problem. Since then I always remmbered to jack up a bogus ticket with the travel agent for 800NT.

Bri

1. You don’t need a ticket for applying a visa for most countries.

2. You must be able to produce a return or on-going ticket upon entering Taiwan. They may check, they may not - but if they do and you don’t have it, you won’t get in.

I had a (return) ticket issued after my visa expiry date and wasn’t allowed to enter but a lady from EVA air was so nice to give me a (fake) sticker for my ticket (she took it back after I passed through imigration).

This should be int he legal forums, but basic answer is you may need a return ticket to get a visa, but once you have a visa (any visa) you don’t need a return ticket.

Brian

I don’t see a problem there. When I first came to Taiwan, I came in on a one way ticket without any problems.

I arrived with a return ticket but it was dated later than the duration of the visa I would have been granted. Thus it needed to be amended and hence I conclude you do need a return ticket. Once you have a work permit and / or ARC you won’t need it.

I did get kicked out however first since the paper work was not completed in time, so I had to fly to another country and go to the “embassy” there to obtain work permit and multiple-entry visa (the papers were send from Taiwan to the “embassy” in the country I choose).

You said "would have been granted. If you already have a visa, you don’t need a return ticket.

Brian[/quote]

Plenty of people live and work here and sometimes go on vacation. They buy a return ticket to their vacation destination and then when they re-enter Taiwan, they’ve just used the ticket up of course.

Should be no problem whatsoever.

… add a “in that case” at the end of the sentence and note the following statement I made:“Once you have a work permit and / or ARC you won’t need it. [includes visa]” This applied to me, too, as explained in the 2nd paragraph.

If you don’t have a work / re-entry permit (as part of a visa) or an ARC I assume you must also be able to present a return ticket, say e.g. you have obtained a one-entry tourist visa overseas.
As said I am not sure about Taiwan but this did apply to some other Asian countries I have been travelling to.

My statement was not to disagree, just to point out the return ticket is important if you attempt to obtain your (permanent) visa or re-entry and work permit in Taiwan.

I entered on a working VISA back in 1993, and I had a one-way ticket - no questions asked (but a lot of paperwork up front). If it was OK then, I would expect it to be OK now.

What I’m saying is that if you already have a visa (say you get a 30 or 60 day visitor’s visa in your home country), then you don’t need a return ticket. I’ve done this quite a few times.

Only two reasons you’d need a return ticket:

1. To get the visa in the first place, some visa offices, such as the one in HK, will require you to have a return ticket.
  2. If you are flying to Taipei and want to get a landing visa, the airline will not want to let you on the plane without a return ticket if you don’t have a visa (although I’ve got around this twice - difficult though).

Brian

I also did not have a problem entering Taiwan with a one-way ticket. If you have ARC it means you have legal presence in Taiwan. Not sure with 30 or 60-day visas, however.

Yep, I got that part - but is this an official rule (or were you just lucky)?
As mentioned some other countries do not allow it if you are a visitor/tourist.

I vote for lucky. A quick web search comes up with:

npa.gov.tw/fore-eng/a_b_1.htm

This is pretty clear that a return ticket is required for all Visitor visa holders.

I used visitor visas for over 4 years visiting Taiwan and never was asked for return ticket by immigration authorities. I was asked maybe 2-3 times if I had one but was not asked to show it. Just because you weren’t asked doesn’t mean it isn’t technically required.

[quote]Yep, I got that part - but is this an official rule (or were you just lucky)?
[/quote]

It’s how it works in practice. I’ve done it 3 or 4 times. They don’t check for a return ticket at immigration. They just look to see if you have a visa.

Brian

I personally can’t understand the fuzz about the return ticket anyway, assuming most people have one, it’s not a big deal to change the date later …

Better save than sorry me thinks. :slight_smile:

In about a week, I will apply for a visitor’s visa.

If I have all the appropriate documents from a language school stating that I will be a student, do I still need to have a plane ticket out of Taiwan?

(I hope not.)

Thanks in advance–
Mark

mgford25,

I do not know exactly. When I came here on a visitors visa obtained in the U.S., I had heard that a round-trip ticket was important. I only found that to be true in one instance.

It was a requirement to apply for the visitors visa to have a round-trip ITINERARY to submit to the TECO (Taiwanese embassy officials). I did not buy a ticket at that time, just got a random travel agent to print me a proposed, but confirmed itinerary to and from Taiwan with some total amount of time in Taiwan less than 60 days (length of most visitors visas).

After I received my visitors visa, I did buy a round-trip ticket. When I flew to Taiwan, no one at the airport upon landing ever asked to see my plane ticket. No one there ever knew if I had a one-way or round-trip ticket.

So, it would have been very easy to submit a round-trip itinerary to get the visa initially, and then purchase a one-way ticket to travel. Most likely, this is done all the time.

That said, this was just my experience and may not be the average.

Good luck,

Seeker4