Can I keep working legally until my work permit is settled

Hello everybody, long time lurker, sudden situation has prompted me to make an account and finally participate in the forum.

My work permit expires today, and the extension for the permit has not yet been approved. I already went to the 移民署 to change my ARC card to a “Searching for job” status until the work permit is renewed; they (移民署) requested that I write and sign a note confirming I understood it was illegal for me to work in Taiwan without a legal work permit, which is perfectly reasonable.

My employer (a foreign company based in my country of naionality) is planning on having the head office issue me a letter saying I am here on business trip, and that this will allow me to keep working legally until the work permit is settled. I am apprehensive about the legality of this, as I am fearful of being caught working, finding out this is illegal, and being shut out of Taiwan (where I’ve lived happily for several years).

Can anybody help me confirm the legality of this, and provide me advice on what to do?

Edited: grammar/wording

Are you saying your employer let your work permit lapse but you aren’t changing your job?

Correct, and I will emphasize it is the company who made the error, as I brought up this issue (the need to renew the work permit) numerous times in writing going back over three months (as I’m aware you can begin applying for extension four months prior to expiration).

No way that business trip thing will work then. You’ve flagged yourself. That letter you had to write is meant as a warning that you cannot work while waiting for the permit. Have yourself a nice holiday.

4 Likes

Maybe if OP fly to HK and apply for business visa for the time being?
The letter provided by the company should be useful for that.

1 Like

I appreciate the quick responses, after considering the advice shared here and asking some others, I told my employer that I do not accept this arrangement, and I do NOT* plan on continuing work until I have a valid work permit; so, I am taking leave of absence until the work permit is received.

Edit: wording

2 Likes

You can of course work from outside Taiwan. i.e. HK or Manila, or Danang (4000 return).

1 Like

But apparently not spelling… :wink:

Anyway, I can understand your situation. Your leave of absence will probably need to go unpaid. Enjoy your time off. :desert_island:

If you can’t trust your company to keep your work permit current, then definitely don’t trust them with this “business trip” bullshit.

That depends on (1) the nature of the work and (2) the relevant laws and regulations of HK, the Philippines, or Vietnam respectively, plus those of the jurisdiction in which the employer is located.

What if he paddles a kayak to outside of Taiwan’s territorial waters? :rofl:

I guess immigrant act doesn’t allow it without some required procedure.