Can I Learn To Drive Here In Three Weeks?

I confess that I cannot drive. I would like to learn how to drive very quickly. Are there crash courses available? If so, where and how much? Can I then get an International Licence issued in Taiwan and all this in three weeks?

BroonAuto

[quote=“BroonAle”]I confess that I cannot drive. I would like to learn how to drive very quickly. Are there crash courses available? If so, where and how much? Can I then get an International Licence issued in Taiwan and all this in three weeks?

BroonAuto[/quote]

No.
I don’t know.
No.

Thank you for your patronage in the Living in Taiwan Forum. Please come again.

Jdsmith
co-moderator
“A friend in need is a bloody nuisance.” --Benny Hill

[quote=“BroonAle”]I confess that I cannot drive. I would like to learn how to drive very quickly. Are there crash courses available? If so, where and how much? Can I then get an International Licence issued in Taiwan and all this in three weeks?

BroonAuto[/quote]

AS long as you don’t crash during your road test… I mean lot’s of Taiwanese do it in less time :smiley: :smiley:

First you get your local licence, then you get your international licence. Thats the one you use when you’re not in Taiwan :astonished:

My co-worker learned to drive in Taiwan, I know he took a course but I don’t know how long it took. I’ll try to remember to ask him about it tomorrow.

I did my course 4 times a week. I think it was after about lesson 12 or 13 that I took the test.

But do you jsut want to get a licence or do you want to actually learn to drive?

I got my licence, but I still can’t drive. The don’t teach you how to do that.

Brian

Hook up with a foriegner and let him/her teach you. Don’t take a course off the bat, it is going to be at leat 10,000 NT and you’ll do most of your driving on a go-cart-like course–of course you’ll have to take the test on a similar course, but learning to drive between lines and pylons won’t necessarily make you a good driver. You can take the course later, some have guarantees that you’ll pass the driving test, I hear. Scary eh!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]I did my course 4 times a week. I think it was after about lesson 12 or 13 that I took the test.

But do you jsut want to get a licence or do you want to actually learn to drive?

I got my licence, but I still can’t drive. The don’t teach you how to do that.

Brian[/quote]

Actually both. I really want to learn how to drive and figure that as most cars are automatic, it can’t be that difficult. I have a good sense of distance etc. and have good road sense (but not driving a car). It’s the ability to be able to hire a car with an international licence that I want/need. And fast. I don’t mind the go-cart track thing to get a feel for driving a car and I feel confident that once I get that car-feel I can then readily transplant the technical side to my already good and conscientious road sense. Am I being naiive here? I don’t know…

NT$10,000 is bugger all really.

BroonAccident

Thanks. PM me the details if you can.

Cheers,

BroonAutomatic

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“BroonAle”]I confess that I cannot drive. I would like to learn how to drive very quickly. Are there crash courses available? If so, where and how much? Can I then get an International Licence issued in Taiwan and all this in three weeks?

BroonAuto[/quote]

AS long as you don’t crash during your road test… I mean lot’s of Taiwanese do it in less time :smiley: :smiley:

First you get your local licence, then you get your international licence. Thats the one you use when you’re not in Taiwan :astonished:[/quote]

Yes I realise that. I used the word ‘then’ to denote sequence.

BroonAutobahn

Press the accelerator down as far as it will go.

Don’t turn the steering wheel.

That’ll be NT$10,000 please.

SandStirlingMoss

you’ll learn more about driving having geraldine teach you than going through a course here.

the course will prepare you for the money maker (aka test) however. if you do it that way, consider a safe driving course from a western country at some point in the future, for you and geraldine’s sake …

The part I don’t get is why do you want to learn to drive very quickly. Even Taiwan has laws against speeding you know? And why a “crash” course. Most people try to avoid crashing. And do you then honestly believe that (as part of a prescribed sequence of test taking behaviours) you would actually qualify for an INTERNATIONAL driver’s license anyway? Or is there something else you’re after? Something more sinister perhaps.

I know some people who’ve been driving in Taiwan for 10 without a licence… :noway:

bob, lay off the Xanax. Its slowing your mind. :wink:

Destination Punsville…

It’s the international licence I am after. I mean if I have one, I can hire a car. I don’t think they say “Can you drive sir?” at the Avis desk. If I crash, then I have got a licence. If I don’t…great: more practice under my belt. But granted, some knowledge would be useful.

Sandman: cheque’s in the post.

BroonAutoroute

Given the way you post, I think the streets would be safer without you! :laughing:

Given the way you post, I think the streets would be safer without you! :laughing:[/quote]

Are you saying that I am an erratic poster?

BroonAutomobileAssociation

Irrational, irresponsible, irreverent, irritating, but certainly not erotic, er, erratic. :wink: :laughing:

BA, further to the excellent advice already given, I refer you to this thread; [Got my car and motorcycle licence which strangely enough are in the Vroom, vroom forum.

Also, about getting the TW-issued international driving license, see this thread;
[Taiwan-issued International Driving Licences/Permits

I think you could just about do it in 3 weeks.

Regarding driving AFTER passing the test; you say you already have good road awareness and I assume you got this riding scooters. This is helpful and hopefully should make you more aware of two-wheelers when you’re in that big metal box!

There are certain procedures such as mirror-signal-maneuver which I don’t think are part of the test but nonetheless are very useful to get in the habit of doing as soon as possible. So yes, some lessons from a qualified, experienced driver with a foreign licence would be good.

I guess he needs the international as he’s about to take a trip abroad… his employer probably thinks he has a licence already :unamused: :unamused: