Can I leave the airport for a 10 hour layover in Taipei under the new 0+7 policy?

I have a 10 hour layover in Taipei before my onward flight to Japan. If I enter Taiwan and stay for 10 hours, will I get questioned by immigration? Do I need to take a covid test or anything for a stay of this short? Or does no one care at all at this point what I do?

4 Likes

Interesting possible quandary. I’ve never considered this.

Before 0-7, I think they’ve been sticking some scarlet letter type badge on transiting passengers, suggesting they either know who those folks are or are screening them between deplaning and immigration. Wouldn’t be surprised if they continue something similar, but it is an interesting question. Are they still requiring the pre-arrival electronic entry form 48hrs out?

No. I have done this multiple times in many countries. Latest one was in South Korea in August and just explained what I was doing.

No. Taiwan no longer requires COVID tests.

At this point, No.

4 Likes

not needed: * 自2022/10/13 零時(航班表定抵臺時間)起,入境臺灣人士須「7天自主防疫」。免居家檢疫、免「入境檢疫系統」線上申報、免持國內手機門號。無症狀者, 開放得搭乘大眾運輸工具。 (詳細資訊,請按我)

1. Effective 00:00 on October 13 (incoming flight’s scheduled arrival time), all passengers to Taiwan please practice self-initiated epidemic prevention for 7 days. Arriving travelers will no longer be required to make a health declaration on the Quarantine System for Entry before arrival and to have a mobile phone with a Taiwanese number. Travelers without COVID-19 symptoms can take public transportation. (link to website)
  2. Travelers with symptoms within 14 days before arrival, please fill in the system and voluntarily report to the CDC quarantine officers and cooperate with necessary quarantine measures.
  3. I agree to receive and keep a record of the Notification of Compulsory Quarantine for Arriving Passengers with suspicious symptoms and Right to Petition for Habeas Corpus Relief in electronic form.
3 Likes

The FAQ seems to suggest that this is possible:

Q12. Can I travel abroad by plane during my self-initiated prevention period?
A12: Yes, you can. You can go out if you don’t have any symptoms and you have a negative result from a rapid test taken within 2 days. Please follow the “epidemic prevention measures related to the use of public transportation during a self-initiated prevention period” on your way to the airport and during your flight.

You should still take a rapid test (but from my understanding they will give you some rapid tests at the airport).

3 Likes

In other words, based on the current rules, you’ll need to wear a mask (we all do) except when eating and/or drinking, when you can take it off briefly to enjoy your meal or drink.

Exceptions would include: riding a bicycle, riding a scooter, exercising, mountain climbling, agricultural work, etc with the latter possibilities almost certainly not being part of the OP’s activities as a transiting passenger.

Guy

No one cares anymore. There are zero controls at the airport except for African swine flu. Flying in on Eva I wasn’t even required to wear a mask.

But of course you did, right?

Be nice to flight crew / ground crew. They’ve put up with enough BS already.

Guy

Why would I? I was seated by myself. There was no mask requirement.

I also didn’t wear an adult diaper.

6 Likes

Your sh&t, one hopes, is not transmitting an airborne virus.

That’s the nicest thing I can say about your approach, especially after you have been insistently banging the drum about the plight of flight crew. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Guy

1 Like

It’s been three years. At what point are you going to stop?

4 Likes

What is this “me” you are referring to?

I was not on a flight (aka an enclosed space) choosing to not wear a mask.

Btw, just because EVA’s management does not make this a requirement (in contrast to their Japanese peers, who do) does not make it smart. Management is not on the front line, and EVA’s management is notoriously worker unfriendly.

Put otherwise, I am speaking directly here of being considerate to front line staff in an enclosed space. Do you have a problem with that?

Guy

Who the duck are you to tell me to wear a mask in a situation where it isn’t required? It’s literally none of your business.

2 Likes

Congrats to you for these views.

I’ll view your comments about airline workers and their plight accordingly in the future.

Guy

There is no view. I follow the rules as they are told to me. In some circumstances I will wear a mask even if not required. On the Skytrain in BKK for example. Because almost everyone wears one. Where there is no rule you make your own judgment call.

The me I referred to was you. I’m not sure how you are confused about that.

Jeez… how many of these exchanges do we need on this site?

Put the damn mask on if it’s legally required. If not, do whatever the hell you like.

I don’t see the point of discussing this any further here.

1 Like

I love you big fella.

@afterspivak disagrees. Therefore, it becomes a discussion. You may be right that there’s no point to the discussion, but it’s still a discussion.

1 Like