Can I mail or FedEx a Nintendo Wii to a friend in Taiwan?

I have several spare Nintendo Wii systems in my basement.

Can I mail or FedEx a Nintendo Wii to a friend in Taiwan? (as a gift)

Will she be charged taxes by the Taiwan authority’s customs?

Thansk!

Maybe you can send it unassembled.
Send me one, too. Thanks. :laughing:

There has been something in the news lately that the Wii has not got the necessary approvals to be sold in TAiwan yet - that can be a source to problems in the customs.

I had mine sent regular mail. I avoid having goodies sent Fed Ex because it’s damned expensive, and it seems to get nailed with customs charges more often - just my experience, though.

Send it through the postal service’s express mail service and it’ll be least likely to have duties assessed in my experience. As for the import restrictions on Wii’s, according to a recent news article, the NCC recognizes the US and Japan certifications but not any others, and even then they limit it to two machines imported per person. I would guess that you will not have a problem sending in just one. To be safe you might want to declare it as a “video game system” instead of “Nintendo Wii”.

Should have read your post before I shipped it.

Okay… I got stupid and sent the Wii via FedEx.
Actually, I was greedy and cheap, because my
company lets me send 5 personal packages per
month via FedEx(domestic or int’l) for free, so I
used it)

I got a phone call from my friend in Taiwan. Good
news and bad news. First the good news, he was
very happy that I sent him a Wii as a gift. Here
comes the bad news: not only was the FedEx
package opened by the Taiwan customs, it was
also assesed a duty of nearly NTD$1200.(do they
not understand the meaning of the word “gift” ???)

Don’t I feel like an arse now… lesson learned… no
FedEx for anything other than documents… :fume:

Should have read your post before I shipped it.
[/quote]

No worries - at least your friend got it, and will forget about having to pay the duty fees within an hour of playing with it :slight_smile:

[quote=“merge”]

No worries - at least your friend got it, and will forget about having to pay the duty fees within an hour of playing with it :slight_smile:[/quote]

Ain’t that the truth… he hasn’t answered any of my emails or voicemail messages in the last
few days. Nobody at his house picks up the phones anymore, except once over the last
weekend when his kid picked up the phone… he claims that they were going out to eat and
told me to call later… but I swear I heard the Wii Rayman Rabbids sounds in the background :fume:

No worries, they are busy playing and don’t have time to pick up the phone.

I love Rayman! My daughter got Cooking Mama for her birthday and has been playing little else. We should be getting Super Paper Mario this week, too!

I second that. Absolutely do not send it through a private service like FedEx, UPS, etc. Not only are those slower (due to a delay at customs) but they are MUCH more likely to be inspected and hit with duties.

[quote=“creamypanda”]I got a phone call from my friend in Taiwan. Good
news and bad news. First the good news, he was
very happy that I sent him a Wii as a gift. Here
comes the bad news: not only was the FedEx
package opened by the Taiwan customs, it was
also assesed a duty of nearly NTD$1200.(do they
not understand the meaning of the word “gift” ???)[/quote]
They do. But not everything you declare as a gift is one, for example the type of the item or it’s value may exlude it from being acceptable as a gift. I know this from sending stuff home and similar may apply here, though I dunno the details for Taiwan.