Can I reject a job offer after they help me getting the work permit?

Hi everyone,

So the story is that I got a job offer from a company in Taiwan, but I have not signed any contract yet, only signed a report form which stated that I will report to the company.
They managed to get a Work Permit for me but I do not want to join the company anymore.

Is this okay for me to reject the position?
Can anyone shed any light on this please! Cheers.

You’re obligated to any agreements you guys made, written or not, but no contract and no work performed…? OK , or not, to withdraw is an ethical call and really up to you. There’s no more ‘reject’ since you accepted the job offer - that’s why they got the work permit. You are probably liable for the cost of the work permit if you choose to back out.

4 Likes

Does this report form state the duration of time you are agreeing to work for them? If so, they could take legal action if you were in Taiwan for any losses they incurred.

Would they? I’d say unlikely as it would cost more than its worth generally.

Of course I’m not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV so … This is just my personal opinion

1 Like

I don’t know anything about you or what field your work is in, so this may not apply to you at all.

For the company to get you a work permit, I’m pretty sure that you have to sign a work contract, provide them with a health check, and pictures. It’s been a awhile since I needed one so maybe I’m wrong.

In any case even if you did sign one the Labor Standards Act might apply to this situation (depending on what your job is). According to Article 16, since you have worked less than 3 months no notice is needed.

1 Like

If you haven’t signed a contract I don’t see why you cannot reject.

this is not what the law says, iiuc. It says employer’s obligation.

Article 14 says when employees can terminate contracts.

I think so too.

6 Likes

I’ve been completely misreading that article for awhile now. I see it now where it says employer. So, is there no law that says how much notice an employee must give? Article 14 just says immediate without notice.

It’s a shitty thing to do, but you’re not a slave.

7 Likes

But of course you lose your work permit and thus your visa status is in jeopardy.

4 Likes

Exactly.

Your work permit is tied to the company and the reason it exists at all is because they need you and applied for it. When you quit, then the reason for you to have a visa ceases to exist and the permit becomes invalid, making your visa invalid. You may have a plastic ARC or letter that says you may be allowed to stay say until December 2021 but it will be just decoration as it will not be valid. You cannot use it to stay in Taiwan nor find another job.

At this point you must honor your contract, at least I’d say 3 months, quit if you do not like it, and apply later for a job seeking visa. Then find another job with a different company that will apply for a new work permit for you.

One more time: the work permit is never yours, not unless you have a good card or a permanent residence.

2 Likes

Where does the “must” come from here? This post comes across as a bit…puritanical or judgmental to me, at least without knowing the full story.

I agree with the comment above - it’s a somewhat shitty thing to do once you’ve entered into an agreement, but OP isn’t a slave and can ultimately break the agreement if they choose. And before people start cracking out the violins for the poor employer, one wouldn’t have to look too hard to find stories of ASEAN workers being mistreated by Taiwanese companies (I’m judging from OP’s username here).

The work permit stuff is undoubtedly true (if, again, a bit stern), but that’s not really what OP asked.

Yeah, I read again, he has not signed. But I wonder if just the verbal agreement puts him in some kind of legal bind.

If he doesn’t want to come, well, don’t. The sooner he speaks up the better. Family issues as excuse always work.

I don’t think NIA would give him any issues about a new work permit with a different company, right?

1 Like

What did he ask then? The answer given states that if OP wants to use the current contract to springboard themselves into another job or ARC, this is likely the best option.
If OP just wants to cancel the contract, they’re free to stay home, not board that plane to Taiwan. No need to post here.

He/she asked if it’s “okay”. I think it goes without saying that if someone doesn’t take the job, they don’t get to use (or need) the work permit for that job, no?

I actually read it as the OP already being in Taiwan and wanting to know if he/she would get into serious trouble by cancelling the process at this point. If they’re not even in the country and are being recruited from abroad, it would seem even less of an issue (albeit with burning some bridges, of course)…but OP didn’t say anything about wanting to find an alternative job in Taiwan or come here either. :man_shrugging:

OP would need to clarify those things - I just mean you can’t really force someone to proceed with a job they no longer want, as long as they accept the consequences of that decision (professional and whatever they’ve signed a contract agreeing to).

1 Like

Exactly, I couldn’t agree more. The advice given appears to be to stick it out 3 months then resign, get a job seeking ARC for the minimum amount of hassle. Assuming the person is here already in TW.
They’ve been given what some feel is safest option. It’s just advice, take it or leave it.

Global pandemic, Taiwan ARC is worth more than gold (to me at least). If OP wants to test the limits of his employer and immigration, that’s their business. I hope they report back and tell us how it went.

Legally, either you have a contract, or you don’t. A contract doesn’t need to have the word “contract” in it. It doesn’t even (in most cases) need to be in writing. You have something in writing, but what does it actually say?

Art. 14 only applies in limited situations, basically when the employer does something nasty. If the contract itself provides for termination by the employee (or worker) with notice but without cause, that’s a higher standard than what the LSA requires, but it’s kosher. If the contract doesn’t have such a clause, and the employer doesn’t do anything nasty, you’re basically stuck until the end of the contract (or until you get fired or laid off) unless you have a Civil Code Art. 489 situation.

You signed a form so whatever you signed would be legally binding.

1 Like

This.

Yup , should offer to work there until they find simeone else , maybe? They could also be well conected . I would be pissed if I was them.

Usually but not always.

1 Like