Can I rent your bike 25 - 29 March for $?

I’m traveling to Taiwan next week with the intention of cycling down the east coast for a few days.

Unfortunately there’s a lot of conflicting info about how easy it is to rent a bike there - and being a non-Chinese speaker is making it even harder.

When traveling in the US previously I’ve used a website called http://www.spinlister.com (now called Liquid) for peer to peer bike rental which was awesome.

So rather than rocking up to Taipei and wasting a couple of days trying to find a bike I wanted to sound out whether there was anyone on this forum interested in loaning me a touring or road bike from Monday the 25th to Friday the 29th of March … I’m willing to pay up to $50/day for the service depending on the bike !

Sam

Btw ill be bringing SPD shoes with me.

I can’t help with the bike but you may want to specify what $50 is in NTD.

Trade one for a passport?

I’d be willing to rent out my size M (55cm) Giant TCX-3 but my front shifting is a disaster and won’t stay in tune. Seems to happen whenever I have new cables. I don’t think you want to deal with crappy shifts and chain rub all down the East coast although there are Giant shops along the way that would adjust it for free.

If I can find a way to get it to stay working this week, I’ll let you know. It has touring tires and a rack.

But really, I don’t think you’ll have any problem, especially during a non-holiday week, finding a bike at Giant Hualien. The risk of you being stuck without a bike in Hualien is very slim.

If you rent a bike from an English speaker (presumably in Taipei) you have to deal with the hassle of getting it down there, which isn’t something you want to do if you are pressed for time.

And there aren’t enough Forumosan cyclists in Hualien (I can only think of one off the top of my head) for renting from them to be likely, if that’s what you were thinking.

Anyway, good luck!

And yeah, I hope you are prepared to offer some decent collateral lol.

Ha. Ok to clarify;

• max $50 USD at the applicable exchange rate.
  • I’m 183 cm tall
  • Can work out some kind of deposit and references with the lender …

You can rent bicycles near the Hualien or Xingcheng train station. I don’t know the price though.

http://www.formosanfattire.com/bikeshops/

Check out the link above to Alan’s bike shop. His wife speaks English well. I believe he rents bicycles and can give you advice on touring to boot!

[quote=“PaddyB”] my front shifting is a disaster and won’t stay in tune. Seems to happen whenever I have new cables. I don’t think you want to deal with crappy shifts and chain rub all down the East coast although there are Giant shops along the way that would adjust it for free.

Anyway, good luck![/quote]

Yeah you get that when you switch in new cables. Apparently there’s one of those “bedding in” periods.

I was in Hualien a few days ago and the Giant shop had lots of touring bikes. As bear says, it’s right by the train station. $1200 for three days including bags. No english spoken though.