Can I stay NWHOR for as long as I want?

So I’m eligible to naturalize (spouse route) soon and I’ve already passed the Chinese exam and got everything ready. Last month I found out they are changing the mandatory military service to 1 year, which I can’t do since I have a kid. However, I still want to reach at least NWHOR level so my company and future companies who hire me won’t tax withhold 18%.

My question is, as long as I renounce my original citizenship (I can get it back) can I stay as a NWHOR until I’m too old to serve in the military? Would be like 10 years for me.

3 Likes

No. You get one year to renounce and then they revoke. You can extend it one more year max.

But. You have a kid… so… perhaps that may offer an exemption? Not sure.

I can renounce straight away, that’s no problem

Then once I’ve submitted to Taiwan Gov. that I’ve renounced I can get my British citizenship back

I mean to renounce your UK.

Yeah yeah, I can renounce that straight away

After I get NWHOR I can apply for it back

Yea. I mean. The maximum time you can be nwohr is 2 years in this case.

Or they revoke your taiwanese.

Even after I renounce my British citizenship?

I want to know if I can stay as NWHOR for 10+ years after I renounce my British citizenship

Good question.

I just guess youll get your hhr.

1 Like

I know I can wait at least 5 years because one of the options for getting HHR through this route is 5 years of residency with X number of days in Taiwan each year, but not sure what happens if it takes me longer than 5 years to do it. Ideally it’d take me 12 years.

Continuous residence for 1 year; or 2 years of residence and more than 270 days of residence per year; or 5 years of residence and more than 183 days of residence per year.

Just not sure if I am allowed to take longer than 5 years.