Can I stay NWHOR for as long as I want?

So I’m eligible to naturalize (spouse route) soon and I’ve already passed the Chinese exam and got everything ready. Last month I found out they are changing the mandatory military service to 1 year, which I can’t do since I have a kid. However, I still want to reach at least NWHOR level so my company and future companies who hire me won’t tax withhold 18%.

My question is, as long as I renounce my original citizenship (I can get it back) can I stay as a NWHOR until I’m too old to serve in the military? Would be like 10 years for me.

3 Likes

No. You get one year to renounce and then they revoke. You can extend it one more year max.

But. You have a kid… so… perhaps that may offer an exemption? Not sure.

I can renounce straight away, that’s no problem

Then once I’ve submitted to Taiwan Gov. that I’ve renounced I can get my British citizenship back

I mean to renounce your UK.

Yeah yeah, I can renounce that straight away

After I get NWHOR I can apply for it back

Yea. I mean. The maximum time you can be nwohr is 2 years in this case.

Or they revoke your taiwanese.

1 Like

Even after I renounce my British citizenship?

I want to know if I can stay as NWHOR for 10+ years after I renounce my British citizenship

Good question.

I just guess youll get your hhr.

2 Likes

I know I can wait at least 5 years because one of the options for getting HHR through this route is 5 years of residency with X number of days in Taiwan each year, but not sure what happens if it takes me longer than 5 years to do it. Ideally it’d take me 12 years.

Continuous residence for 1 year; or 2 years of residence and more than 270 days of residence per year; or 5 years of residence and more than 183 days of residence per year.

Just not sure if I am allowed to take longer than 5 years.

It´s 7 years continuosly. 183 days a year. That´s reason AF385 to apply TARC.

You can stay a NWOHR as long as you want. Myself and @comfy123 are also in the same boat.

You naturalise (and become NWOHR), renounce, submit renunciation, do nothing for 3/510/50 years.

Initial household registration is not automatic or mandatory

Your TARC will just need to be renewed every 3 years, your reason for a TARC is ‘naturalisation’ which won’t change so as long as things stay as they are now, you could renew every 3 years until your 100 if you want to.

The only thing to keep an eye on is if the rules change regarding TARC eligibility for naturalised citizens. If they change rules to only provide time limited TARC eligibility for naturalised nationals then that would be a problem.
But I don’t see that happening due to the residency requirements for initial household registration.

2 Likes

which nationality did you renounce?

None yet. But I will renounce Australian

How is the process to renounce your nationality? What are the requirements?

Anyway, TW allows double nationality, why couln´t you keep both nationality?

Not for foreigners who naturalize

You can have multiple nationalities after you get the Taiwanese one, but not before since you are required to renounce the nationality you immigrated to Taiwan with, in order to naturalize.

1 Like

I fill in a form, pay a fee, wait a few weeks. I just need to prove I have citizenship elsewhere as Australia will not allow someone to become stateless by renunciation.

I can. But renunciation is required under the naturalisation process. I will be reapplying for my Australian citizenship immediately after receiving proof of my renunciation.

2 Likes

You apply to naturalize. Taiwan issues you Taiwan Area Resident Certificate which you can then also apply for Taiwan national passport. You then have 12 months to renounce your foreign citizenship on your ARC. You only have to renounce one citizenship so for people who already have two or more they can change the ARC to another citizenship and renounce that.