Can I survive with a Chinese Language PDA? Help me find pda

I live in Southern Taiwan (near Kaohsiung) and prefer to deal with a local shop like 3C unless you can find me a reliable mail order firm.

The prices for Chinese Language pocket pc’s are not too bad.

Here are my requirements:

1. Read and write Chinese for language learning. I had Palm m500 but I really could not make out the Chinese fonts.

2. Play mp3 files and little movies on media player of my students.

3. Read free public domain text files or I might try buying E-books and browsing the interenet from bed.

4. GPS would be nice.

So, question one: Since most of the software is emeded, I bet that trouble shooting the system would be easier than fixing windows 2000 Chinese. True or not?

Question 2: Can I go with a cheaper package that only gives me outlook but not pocket word. If so, is there a good free editor out there?

Question 3: Price is important! My baby washed my last pda. I don’t want to be caught in a torential rain storm on a motor bike and loose 20,000NT

I have two good computers. I just need something comfortable for the above purposes. How about ACer N35 or Acer N50

Not sure about all PDA brands, but Palm PDAs let you choose the language you want.

I did like my palm for everything except Chinese! On the M500, either the screen resolution was so bad or the fonts were so blocky that I really couldn’t tell between the differences between common Chinese characters.

Have they improved since then? I believe my palm OS even anticipated the next Chinese character, just like the PC.

I was playing with the local pocket PC’s and failed to find that feature. Either the it doesn’t exist (hard to believe) or the sales staff haven’t learned how to enable that.

Do you have any suggestions for reasonably priced palm? Is there a store in Kaohsiung city or Ping Tung where I can play today

Palm Tungsten is cheap as PDAs go; it’s only around 7k. Screen resolution hasn’t been a problem. I’d actually say it’s one of it’s strong points. I have Pleco complete installed and have no problems reading or writing Chinese text on screen. Where to find them in the south? Not really sure. It seems most major centers have computer markets with many vendors in them. If Gaoxiong has a Nova computer market, I’d look there.

My ASUS A716 is all Chinese, and it’s impossible to change the OS. I’d suggest you don’t get a Windows Mobile PDA in Taiwan, because it will be in Chinese. You can’t buy an ACER PDA in English in Taiwan.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]I did like my palm for everything except Chinese! On the M500, either the screen resolution was so bad or the fonts were so blocky that I really couldn’t tell between the differences between common Chinese characters.

Have they improved since then? I believe my palm OS even anticipated the next Chinese character, just like the PC.

Do you have any suggestions for reasonably priced palm? Is there a store in Kaohsiung city or Pingdong where I can play today