Can I travel to Taiwan with my birth control pills?

Hey all!
I will travel to Taiwan in two weeks for the first time and stay there for several months. I am super excited!
I don‘t plan to bring any medicine except my birth control pills. Now my question:

Do I have to declare those before entering the country?
It‘s hard to find information online, I only read that birth control pills can be bought without a prescription, does that mean I won’t have any problems at the airport?

I am from Germany, and you can only get those with a prescription from you gynecologist.

Does anyone know more about that?

1 Like

I don’t know… but Taiwan seems very liberal with reproductive rights, as in they don’t care that much about birth control and all that like the US is.

I think if in doubt declare it to customs and if you can’t bring it, they’d just take it from you instead of incurring penalties.

I have never been stopped because of medication going into Taiwan or any other country and I fly quite a bit.

My experience is that customs don’t care unless you’re bringing a suspicious amount.

1 Like

You essentially can’t get prosecuted by declaring anyways. Go through the red line and show them what you have. If they’re not allowed, they’ll dispose of them and send you on your merry way.

Note: Does not apply to clearly-illegal contraband like Marijuana. They will prosecute for that. This is not legal advice, for legal advice, call a lawyer.

Can you provide the name of the birth control pills?

1 Like

I’ve come in with birth control pills a few times. I made sure my name and info (printed by the pharmacy) was on each of the packages but I didn’t declare. But most major types are available at any pharmacy here. You just walk up to the counter and buy it. Sometimes they have to order them for you, but even then you only wait two days tops.

3 Likes

As long as you don’t fly with that Brittney Griner medication… :sunglasses:

Yes, just go through the red line and declare what you have. I was even allowed to bring in some pain medication that contained Codeine a few years ago after the nose of a Customs dog found what I had forgotten about when heading to the Green line!!

1 Like

I arrived with 6 months’ supply of my Pill and wasn’t questioned at all. I didn’t declare any of my tablets (I was on a substantial dose of corticosteroids at the time as well).
I made sure that the containers had the pharmacy stickers with my name and prescription info on it, just in case.

2 Likes

Having contraception is encouraged here in Taiwan. Although you should declare it if you are carrying more than 12 bottles/packs of the medicine.

Most countries allow 3 months of medication if in original packaging and proof of prescription.