Can a foreigner work for Uber eats?

Are you sure that’s the right Yubo? I remember when I checked a while back there were like a dozen of them, Yubo, Wubo, quite confusing. They may have separate companies for taxis and food.

1 Like

You are right.

https://udn.com/news/story/7324/4179878

1 Like

I may have made a leap in logic vis a vis the necessity of language skills, but I think the point could be made even from anedotal evidence:

1. Someone with zero Chinese or Taiwanese was hired to work at a convenience store. Bear in mind that none of the customers would ask for a pack of “Mevius” (previously “Mild Seven” or, before that, “Seven Star”), with only a few asking for 「七星 」. The go-to would be “Tshit-tshenn” (臺語). Same goes for other brands of smokes (like “hong” 峰, if you’re made of money), which constitute a large percentage of sales.

2. I’ve lazily ordered way too much from UE and FP and have had the chance to check out their delivery software. It is much like Google Maps and is basically fool proof if you can read a map. Heck, you can even text or call the customer. That being said, living in an obscure apartment building, I’ve seen some delivery persons park and wait blindly while I wave at them, freezing my arse off, to get them to realize that the one dude standing there (me) is the obvious client. They even have my picture on the system. Sure enough, even after calling them by their (fake) Chinese username, they never fail to try to communicate with me in broken, kindergarten-level English (which I humor in varying degrees, correlating with my level of sobriety). Point being, having common sense and very basic communicative competence in Mandarin should suffice for the delivery person position. Anyone under 70 or over 5 years of age that claims to only be able to communicate in Taiwanese (閩南語) is lying and also unlikely to be your customer.

1 Like

I see. I thought you meant in general. For this position, I’m not sure. I would think you would need passable Mandarin personally. But they aren’t discriminating on that basis, in any event. They’re insisting he needs an ID.

2 Likes

I know for sure it’s possible because I have a foreigner friend who drives for Uber Eats and he has a APRC.

4 Likes

Get him here and explain how he did it. Maybe he used a friend’s ID to sign up which triggered a response from a real person whereby he provided his APRC and passport and had it OKed?

1 Like

I know of a Taiwan guy that was making $45,000 a month and quit his job to go work for Uber Eats.

He said he showed up to the Uber Eats place and attended a training course.

So I assume this means you can’t sign up online with your APRC but must go to the Uber eats corporate headquarter…

And now he is making $20,000 a month?

7 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Getting snooty in Rocketland :monocle:

And they still drive like idiots!

That’s very possible. I used a Taiwanese friend’s number to register for grad school. I also made clear in every place possible what my number actually was and that their system was discriminating against my ID number “so please don’t sue me for fraud”. (They didn’t sue me for fraud, so we’re good)

1 Like

Freaking dangerous job especially in the south.

Doubt it, it all depends how many hours you work, guess working at least 70 a week is necessary to make good money, but then the probability to have a road accident gets very high in the middle term.

I’ve got a TW ID but I don’t speak Chinese. If someone is in an opposite position (speaks Chinese to make deliveries but no ID), we could collaborate.

The Open Work Permit will be more important to them than the APRC, they likely have no idea what an APRC is. Did you point out that you have your own work permit and can be employed in the same way as a Taiwanese citizen?

Did you show them your Open Work Permit? That should fix the issue.

Not completely relevant, but I was just reading that if you have a dispute with Uber, they require you to go through third-party mediation–the catch is that you have to pay US$14,500 to do it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stefanovich-supreme-court-uber-class-action-decision-1.5626853?cmp=rss

Does that also apply to Uber employees “contractors” in Taiwan?

If not, feel free to post about it in the general Uber thread, here:

Or the more theoretical Uber thread, here:

ABT? Nah, you wouldn’t be calling yourself ForeignLaowai. I thought you had to pass a Chinese test or submit proof of class attendance for naturalisation.

2 Likes