Can I work legally with a student visa?

I am presently in Japan, but plan on making the move to Taipei in March.

I have a 4 year degree, so I’d be entitled to a proper work visa (from what I’ve read on these boards).

If I sign up for an intensive Chinese class and get a student visa am I permitted to work p-t?

I was just thinking since I’ve been here 7 freaking years and NOT mastered the language that it might be a good idea to start with Chinese right away.

[quote=“tealady”]I am presently in Japan, but plan on making the move to Taipei in March.

I have a 4 year degree, so I’d be entitled to a proper work visa (from what I’ve read on these boards).

If I sign up for an intensive Chinese class and get a student visa am I permitted to work p-t?

I was just thinking since I’ve been here 7 freaking years and NOT mastered the language that it might be a good idea to start with Chinese right away.[/quote]

I believe that if you sign up to study in a University program, after a few months yes, you can teach. Normally though, no.

BTW, there is no such animal as a student visa; it’s a visitor’s visa, and last I knew, could be extended up to 6 months.

But, it’s not like some people don’t study and work anyway…up to you and your level of risk aversion. :slight_smile:

peace
jds
:rainbow:

As far as I know only after having studied for 12 months.
Check out this site:

mtc.ntnu.edu.tw/tandt.html

I get an ARC through my school. I have to get a new one once a year. How is this different than a “student visa”?

An alien resident certificate is not a visa. You first need to get a resident visa. You can get a resident visa and ARC after studying at a university language program for a certain length of time (6 months I think). You cannot get one if you are studying at a private language school - only a visitor visa extendable up to a total of 6 months. Rumour has it that such visas will no longer be given for study at private language schools - however I think that if there really is such a policy change, it will be scrapped because it is so stupid and the private schools will get together and complain.

There is no such thing as a student visa, however you can get a visitor visa and in some cases a resident visa (and ARC) on the grounds of being a full-time student.

[quote=“superpaul”]As far as I know only after having studied for 12 months.
Check out this site:

mtc.ntnu.edu.tw/tandt.html[/quote]

True. Only after 12 months, and with the permission of the school that you’re working at. And you’re limited to something like 12 hours a week - this number varies according to which regulation you look at.

Dear Tealady,

Why not come to Taiwan and get a regular job? After you have aclimatized for a few months I promise you that you will be able to find a good Mandarin teacher. By good Mandarin teacher, I do not mean a “language exchange” with one of your co-workers. That will turn out to be 95% English and 5% Chinese for your efforts. There are just tons of retired Taiwanese “English” teachers who really have a good grasp of
our langauge and would be more than happy to teach you all they can. Plus, they know what the Hell they are talking about and it can all be for free. I have an old friend (teacher) of more than eight years, and he has become a member of our slightly extended family.

There are many venues open to the foreigner who really wants to learn Chinese and going to a Chinese Language school might not really be the best bet.

Front Page of the Taipei Times:

“MOE working to tighten `student’ visa regulations”
taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003287447