Can JFRV Dependent visa be based on child?

I am in the process of applying for a JFRV visa, as my wife and child are both Taiwanese with hukou. Whilst filling out the online application I noticed there is also the option to select your sponsor as a child. I always thought a child couldn’t be the sponsor but maybe I’m wrong. Anyone know the rules, and has anyone been sponsored by their child?

If it is possible to be sponsored by your child, I may do that instead so that my residency isn’t tied to my wife, so in the unlikely event of a divorce or death I’d be safe.

AFAIK, you can get JFRV visa through your child.

But in case of divorce before you get APRC you can change your ARC from your wife to your child too.

Glad your child is immortal. :grin:

1 Like

I got this email from BOCA when I contacted them a few months ago:

Thank you for your email on August 12, 2020. For your query about resident visa for the purpose of joining family, please note that due to our visa regulations, parents are not qualified to apply for a resident visa to join the minor.

With kind regards,

Bureau of Consular Affairs
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Republic of China (Taiwan)

it is for the special cases that a parent of a minor ROC citizen on a spousal visa would meet those events. If you have a spouse, you cannot chose.

I know two guys who have done after divorce.

1 Like

Children are allowed under many countries’ immigration regimes to petition for permanent residence on behalf of their parents. However, it’s not usual for children to have that right when they are minors.