Can kids use US & ROC passports on a trip to Sing +Malaysia?

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn’t find it in a search.

My Taiwanese wife and I (US citizen with APRC) have two kids with US and Taiwan Passports.

We want to fly to Singapore and take a little side trip into Malaysia (Tioman) via JB. My wife says the travel agent says that our kids will need a Malaysian visa just like her. Can we (and if so, how) leave Taiwan with two passports for each kid and eliminate the need for a Malaysian visa for the kids? Can we leave Taiwan on a Taiwan passport, and then use the US passports to enter Singapore, Malaysia, Singapore again and only use the Taiwan passport to return to Taiwan?

Or could we exit Singapore + enter Malaysia using the US passport? :ponder:

Will anyone insist that we use/they see the Taiwan passport if we have a flight ticket with their Taiwan passport numbers on it?

Should we get a flight ticket with the kids US passport numbers?

Is it necessary to get Malaysian visas in their Taiwan passports and use them throughout our trip?

How should we handle this?

I think the deal is that have to enter and leave Taiwan on their Taiwanese passports, unless they have ARCs.
But you can enter another country on whatever passport you want, as long as you present that same passport upon exit.
Flight tickets don’t matter. If they ask at the check-in desk, you just show them the requisite passport.
Last time I left Taiwan the ticket was in the brat’s English name (which doesn’t appear on his Taiwanese passport). We just showed his Brit passport at check-in and his Taiwanese one at immigration. No problem, no questions asked.

[quote=“zender”]Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn’t find it in a search.

My Taiwanese wife and I (US citizen with APRC) have two kids with US and Taiwan Passports.

We want to fly to Singapore and take a little side trip into Malaysia (Tioman) via JB. My wife says the travel agent says that our kids will need a Malaysian visa just like her. Can we (and if so, how) leave Taiwan with two passports for each kid and eliminate the need for a Malaysian visa for the kids? Can we leave Taiwan on a Taiwan passport, and then use the US passports to enter Singapore, Malaysia, Singapore again and only use the Taiwan passport to return to Taiwan?

Or could we exit Singapore + enter Malaysia using the US passport? :ponder:

Will anyone insist that we use/they see the Taiwan passport if we have a flight ticket with their Taiwan passport numbers on it?

Should we get a flight ticket with the kids US passport numbers?

Is it necessary to get Malaysian visas in their Taiwan passports and use them throughout our trip?

How should we handle this?[/quote]

Easy answer:

You’re good.
Amazingly, nobody really gives a monkey’s about the legality of your origin, as long as you’re clean to get into their country.

US citizens don’t need visas for those countries, so I seriously doubt that your children will need to apply for visas if they use US passports, just as you don’t need visas. Take both passports for your kids and you should be fine. Hopefully my assumption about this is correct. I’m pretty sure what I wrote is true, but I am interested in having this confirmed for me as well.
Have a great trip!

Edit: it seems that the above posters got their answers in before I finished typing.

Thanks, guys. Man this Flob thing really works! :discodance:

I kinda assumed we could get away with using the Taiwan passport for exiting and entering Taiwan only.

I’ve done the same when returning home to the US, but I wonder if these days there are strict controls in a place like Singapore that would make them see an exit stamp from Taiwan before they stamp you into Sing.

Call the embassy and find out for sure. The travel agents usually know what they’re talking about. I seem to remember this happening too when I went a few years back.

Call the embassy and find out for sure. I seem to remember this happening too.[/quote]

Actually, I think the wife said something about Malaysia not recognizing dual nationality, so maybe Malaysia is an exception. And maybe they’d (at the border in JB) want to see your exit from Taiwan to make sure you’re not using two passports. :ponder:

I can’t imagine a more benign looking group than the four of us. I look like Calvin’s dad, and I’m the scary one of the bunch.

Call the embassy and find out for sure. I seem to remember this happening too.[/quote]

Actually, I think the wife said something about Malaysia not recognizing dual nationality, so maybe Malaysia is an exception. And maybe they’d (at the border in JB) want to see your exit from Taiwan to make sure you’re not using two passports. :ponder:

I can’t imagine a more benign looking group than the four of us. I look like Calvin’s dad, and I’m the scary one of the bunch.[/quote]

I was going to say, you’re going to Malaysia with 3 beautiful women, all over 5" 11, I’d be more concerned with packing a weapon than immigration…

Oh, yeah, as far as “ASS-uming” the Travel Agent knows Jack Shit one way or another, I wouldn’t do it, I distinctly recall having my wife separated from me and confined to a holding area for 7 hours in SF because the Agent who sold us the tickets HADN’T NOTICED that SF, unlike most Intys, HAS NO transit area, and my wife didn’t have a US Visa for the 7-hour stopover on the way to Vancouver.

I can definitely tell you that US citizens don’t need visas for Malaysia and Singapore. I go to Malaysia twice a year and was in Singapore a year ago…no visas needed.

Just use their TW passports for exit and entry into Taiwan, use the US ones for all other travel. That shouldn’t be an issue surely…I can’t imagine why they would check in Malaysia or Singapore for an exit stamp from Taiwan. It would take immigration AGES if they did that for everyone passing through!

Well, some countries have transit visas too …

From wordtravels.com, so It seems I stand corrected. They WILL need to enter Malaysia on their ROC passports, which means they WILL also need visas.

:doh: CRAP! :fume:

I mean, “Thanks.”

Unless they enter Singapore first, get the US passport stamped in Singapore, leave Singapore to Malaysia with it stamped, no need to show both.
Title says OP wants to go to both places.

[quote=“saddletramp”]Unless they enter Singapore first, get the US passport stamped in Singapore, leave Singapore to Malaysia with it stamped, no need to show both.
Title says OP wants to go to both places.[/quote]
He’s already admitted that he looks like Calvin’s dad. No WAY they’ll let him into Singapore!

But saddletramp’s right – if the kids’ are able to enter Singapore on their US passports then they should be fine for Malaysia. What’s the rule for dual nationals entering Singapore?

Edit: Singapore does not recognize dual nationality FOR THOSE AGED 21 OR OVER.
Can’t find if that means they can leave Taiwan on the ROC passport and enter Singapore on the US one.

[quote=“sandman”]Edit: Singapore does not recognize dual nationality FOR THOSE AGED 21 OR OVER.
Can’t find if that means they can leave Taiwan on the ROC passport and enter Singapore on the US one.[/quote]
Pretty sure they can (just asked my missus who works in the visa section of the Singapore trade office). Singapore immigration do not check and indeed do not care which passport you used to exit the country of origin. The dual nationality thing is mainly a concern with dual Singapore/other county nationals who must choose one citizenship when they reach 20.

[quote=“Taffy”][quote=“sandman”]Edit: Singapore does not recognize dual nationality FOR THOSE AGED 21 OR OVER.
Can’t find if that means they can leave Taiwan on the ROC passport and enter Singapore on the US one.[/quote]
Pretty sure they can (just asked my missus who works in the visa section of the Singapore trade office). Singapore immigration do not check and indeed do not care which passport you used to exit the country of origin. The dual nationality thing is mainly a concern with dual Singapore/other county nationals who must choose one citizenship when they reach 20.[/quote]

A few years back, my young’un entered on his US passport. Don’t remember any questions asked.

[quote=“zender”]Thanks, guys. Man this Flob thing really works! :discodance:

I kinda assumed we could get away with using the Taiwan passport for exiting and entering Taiwan only.

I’ve done the same when returning home to the US, but I wonder if these days there are strict controls in a place like Singapore that would make them see an exit stamp from Taiwan before they stamp you into Sing.[/quote]

We’ve done that at Singapore and Malaysia. It works! No Worries.

I can’t imagine a more benign looking group than the four of us. I look like Calvin’s dad, and I’m the scary one of the bunch.[/quote]

Travel on US passoport only (for you and your kids). M’sia do not recognized daul citizenship. No need to show them anything but your US passport. You wife will need a visa to M’sia - get in in Taiwan or in Singapore.

Your kids will be going to S’pore and Malaysia as US citizens. They don’t even need to know about their ROC citizenship.

And in any case, as mentioned above, those two countries don’t recognize dual citizenship for their own citizens. (Neither does the US, by the way, though the government turns a blind eye to this braindead policy.)

[quote=“Chris”]Your kids will be going to S’pore and Malaysia as US citizens. They don’t even need to know about their ROC citizenship.

And in any case, as mentioned above, those two countries don’t recognize dual citizenship for their own citizens. (Neither does the US, by the way, though the government turns a blind eye to this braindead policy.)[/quote]

Roger that!