Can normal ARC holders use airport E-Gates?

Or is it only for APRC holders? Many thanks,

Michael

normal arc holders can use egates. Just register at the airport or any NIA. Bring your passport and maybe two photos. They will take your fingerprints and thatā€™s itā€¦ you are good to go :slight_smile:

Get your arc updated here

1. Taipei City service station at National Immigration Agency
    Opening times: 8:00-17:00
  2. immigration arrival and departure halls at Taipei airport
    Opening times: 8:30 -17:00
  3. immigration arrival and departure halls at Taoyuan airport, Terminal 2.
    Opening times: 10:00 -22:00 (Arrival) und 7:00 ā€“ 22:00 (Departure)
  4. immigration arrival and departure halls at Kaohsiung airport
    Opening times: 8:00 - 17:00
  5. immigration arrival and departure halls at Kinmen seaport
    Opening times: 8:00 - 17:00

ļƒ˜ How To Use E-gate

1. After successful enrollment, you will be able to use E-Gate by placing required ROC (Taiwan) Resident Certificate (IC card) onto the document reader at the entrance of an E-Gate.
  2. The entrance of the E-Gate is installed with a document reader. You need only place the required IC card or travel document onto the document reader and push it inward to the upper edge to start the reading process.
  3. When the reading process has finished, you will be able to enter the E-gate to verify your facial image. If you fail facial verification, you can still use your fingerprint to pass verification and clear immigration.

wow, thatā€™s good to knowā€¦ I didnā€™t realize we could use the e-gatesā€¦

I have updated the post above

č¬č¬ļ¼

They have those gates only on terminal 2 as far as I remember. No e-gates for terminal 1.

Yep. Was there the other day, and was encouraged to register. The guy said they didnā€™t need finger prints, so I lined up, got to the front and was then told that they needed finger prints. I declined. Was told I shouldnā€™t worry as the government shouldnā€™t be hacked or loose my information at all. Sorry. Still donā€™t trust finger print records thanks.

Mhhhhh, thatā€™s funny.
Cause I remember clearly, when I applied my ARC and later APRC, that they took my fingerprints also.
And honestly, first of all, eGate is really no hassle and based on my experience, its better to have the fingerprint.
I returned and the eGate didnā€™t wanna recognize my face (I am sure I didnā€™t make a beauty operation) :stuck_out_tongue:
However, fingerprint reader and I was through

[quote=ā€œtom1807ā€]Mhhhhh, thatā€™s funny.
Cause I remember clearly, when I applied my ARC and later APRC, that they took my fingerprints also.
And honestly, first of all, eGate is really no hassle and based on my experience, its better to have the fingerprint.
I returned and the eGate didnā€™t wanna recognize my face (I am sure I didnā€™t make a beauty operation) :stuck_out_tongue:
However, fingerprint reader and I was through[/quote]

Yes, I think I read somewhere that the new regulations for ARC applications is that they submit to fingerprinting. At least they didnā€™t when I got mine, which was around ten years ago or so. I have never bothered with the application for the Almost Permanent Residence Certificate, as it would be less permanent than my present ARC.

If you need stamps in your passport as a record of your stay in Taiwan, do not use the e-gate system. The only data about your stay will be held electronically.

Good point. That information will certainly be important to some Iā€™m guessing.
I wonder, is it possible to update passport stamps after passing customs? Iā€™m guessing that its not possible.

They have also e-gates in the international terminal in Songshan Airport and a registration counter.

I just have to throw a post in here to say that I really loved using the e-gate system when I returned to Taiwan last week. It took me 5 secs to get through passport control! Maybe it just felt extra awesome after having spent over 2 hours standing in line at the passport control in Dubai last month. Such a contrast. Made me all optimistic about Taiwan. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The E-gate service is sadly enough still not enough known among ARC holders (nor locals it seems)
I was in the Airport last Wednesday ā€œactingā€ for a new clip to be made - promoting better the e-gate service.

Now, like always (sadly enough) the ā€œintentionā€ to do well is always there / her but the ā€œexecutionā€ tends to fail. (I use the Frequent Traveler service in HK since a year and delighted with a 10 seconds immigration handling vs. a long cue 30 minutes wait.

Having spent 8 hours on the set I witnessed the following:

• Locals are using their passport . Us, foreigners use our ARC card with a small ā€œE-gateā€ sticker placed on the back.
  • the % of applicants vs the number of long-cue-ers is very low. Not enough efforsts are made on-the ground (and even 2 screens with E-gate info wonā€™t suffice)
  • the ā€œfaceā€ recognition is suspicious. I have reason to believe that there is something funny with it. I saw people getting through whom were constantly moving / swirling / turning around. (someone should try once using another ARC to see if you can ā€œfoolā€ the systemā€¦)
  • only a few times the "alternative " security (fingerprints ID) kicked in if the person was too far from the camera / or not recognizable by wearing glasses / hat.
  • Upon arriving (T2) you will see a message : ā€œeGate for ROC Passport onlyā€ Donā€™t look for another which says ā€œARCā€ --> [color=#800000]
    These eGateā€™s are as well for ROC as ARC holders
    [/color]
    (14 years old and above)
  • After merely a few months in use, the acrylic doors already show signs of wear and tear - and that day, the system went suddenly a few times ā€œoff-lineā€ - creating some lines.

If you travel frequently through Terminal 2, applying for the eGate is reccomended. With more and more (Mainland) tourists arriving there, the number of "citizen onlyā€™ desks (ARC included) has been reduced.
Terminal 1- now being much better / more modern than T2 anyway - seems not to have the long cue tourist issue (yet) but not sure if they have installed the eGate booths alreadyā€¦

Yes, I do it all the time.

Not in T1 yet though and I always fly from T1 with Cathayā€¦ I am curious when there will be installed. I used it in Songshan Airport last friday when coming back from Tokyo and it is cool.

It only worked on one trip for me. Last time I tried it just gave me a cryptic error code and the staff couldnā€™t figure out what was wrong. They also directed me to the normal passport control line instead of trying to fix it. Itā€™s a nice time saver when thereā€™s so few people using it. It just seems a bit unreliable.

Well it is strange they use facial recognition. I use a similar system in HK and France and it is both finger print.

went to the airport the other day and straight to the immi office there, after 15 minutes hacking stuff in the computer she just said ā€œno I canā€™t do itā€, so Iā€™d have to go through security and do it there. Seems not all ARC can be made ready for e-gate at all NIA. Anyways, I usually fly to early (before 7am) or come back to late (1am) and they are always closed. However both at 7am or 1am, there are no people so the normal immi procedure is pretty quick as well.

It is just open in T1 of TPE !