Can One Change a Seriously Crazy Boss?

I’m seriously considering trying to find a way to get a corporate internal-relations facilitator (I don’t know if they have them in Taiwan; they do in the West) to work with my department and my boss at work. Here’s the scoop.

My boss is a complete, screwed-up, nut case. He’s seriously paranoid and insecure. I don’t mean it as a personal insult, but as an objective analysis I believe it’s fair, heck an understatement, to say that he is mentally ill. In his mind, everyone is scheming and evil (particularly the heads of other departments and top management in our company), so our staff is never asked to handle matters in a simple, direct manner (for fear of getting stabbed in the back), instead being directed to use complex psychology ruses to compensate for everyone else’s evil, as set out for us in lengthy conferences.

He is totally incapable of thinking by himself, but calls members of the department in to his office for endless meetings, usually running over an hour per meeting, one after another, till some days I’ll spend 3 or 4 hours in his office, other days longer. My co-worker gets it worse and averages at least 5 or 6 hours a day in there, listenening to stories, strategy, analysis and receiving instructions for tasks we’ll never be able to accomplish because we’re always in conference.

The boss never does anything personally. Does not read emails (literally: one must deliver everything to his secretary to give him hard copies). Does not write them (I literally have not seen 1 email from him in the 3 months I’ve been there). Does not write anything, not even 1 page letters or memos, instead telling us how to write them, then calling us in for conferences on the letter and requiring us to revise it over and over, sometimes 5 or 6 times for a 1 page letter he could have written himself in 15 minutes. Sometimes he will assign 2 or 3 people to write that 1 page letter, all of us going through the conferences and revisions described above.

As a consequence of the above lunacy, a few of us end up going home regularly between 7:30 and 9 pm, when we should be done at 6:30 or 7 if our boss would just let us sit down and work (and would do some of the work himself).

And then there’s the harassment. Several members of our department have been threatened with being fired, jailed or killed by him (ludicrous as the jail and death threats are, he doesn’t appear to be joking, and the persons receiving the threats are seriously bothered by them). Others have been told, “if you don’t do____, I will make your life miserable” (of course he already does).

The sad thing is, I work for a great company, the pay’s good, the work’s very interesting, the only problem is our lunatic boss. Years ago I was on the board of a non-profit entity in the US and we hired a corporate trainer to come in and work with us for a day, trying to improve internal relations, improving morale and productivity.

Do such corporate trainers exist in Taiwan? Can someone provide me with contact info for one/some? Do you think there’s any chance such a person, if required to work with our dept by HR or management, could work together with all of us, then individually with staff and the boss, and in the end tell the boss how screwed up his ways are and recommend certain particular changes in order to improve morale and productivity? Or, is that a fantasy with regard to (a) a 55 year-old adult who is mentally ill and fixed in his ways, and (b) in a Chinese society, that believes the boss is king and doesn’t care much for touchy, feely social worker type stuff?

Incidentally, I believe the top-management knows a little about how screwed up he is, and that’s part of the reason they like to beat up on him emotionally, but of course that doesn’t help, only making him more insecure and taking it out on us more. And HR also knows there’s a problem; an HR member told me that there have been lots of complaints about him in exit interviews with those who could no longer stand working for him.

What do you think? Any chance of making a change?

Not really but you might try this…

Be scrupulously honest. If he says something that you think is irrational, tell him directly how irrational “his ideas” are. Do it calmly, gently, honestly, respectfully, compasionately and point out his positive qualities as well. Don’t talk behind his back about how irrational he is because that will ultimately justify his paranoia. The really sad thing about paranoids is that guilt and self doubt has so eroded their perspective that they see plots against them where none exist. Soon enough though, due to their own distant, cold, irrational, aggressive behaviour the plots begin to develop as people start realizing “they gotta do something about this guy”.

That is when things can get really dangerous.

[quote]Incidentally, I believe the top-management knows a little about how screwed up he is, and that’s part of the reason they like to beat up on him emotionally, but of course that doesn’t help, only making him more insecure and taking it out on us more. And HR also knows there’s a problem; an HR member told me that there have been lots of complaints about him in exit interviews with those who could no longer stand working for him.
What do you think? Any chance of making a change?[/quote]
It sounds like he is in the position he is in for a reason.
The question is, how long will he be kept in his position, or even in employment there, and how long you are willing to put up with this situation. It existed before you - will it exist after you?

Only if you kill him you can change him … is the company making money?

Bummer on the relatively new gig there MT.

It sounds to me your “boss” is actually a department head of sorts. That means he must answer to others. You have to sound out what is happening beyond him as his behaviour may not be so much a reflection of his madness but madness further afield. If that is the case, exposing it is going to cost you dearly.

I’d say it’s time to play sleuth. Settle back, get yourself a copy of Romance of Three Kingdoms and find the weak link/supportive ear above your boss. Remember, anything you do has to be couched in terms of “for the company’s best interests” and cannot be seen as an attempt to usurp him for your own advancement - that will be the assumption regardless.

Good luck. I don’t envy you.

HG

MT, I am sure they exists, but all the ones I have seen are commercial BS artists. Tony Robbin’s wannabes before Tony became king. I think your best bet on finding somebody like that is to check with the Head Hunters…I recommend Boyden. If you would like a contact there please PM to me. I would also recommend contacting AmCham and Local Business Assoications, including the association for you own business for recommendations

Next question is who is going to pay the facilitator you still ahve to go above your boss for funing on this as thier aint no such thing as afree lunch.

Chou

I worked for this person’s managerial twin. They are mentally ill; have no emotional intelligence, are a bully and have gotten to their position of power through abuse, lies and manipulation. I left my job and it was the best thing for both of us: I didn’t have my life ruined and he was able to f*%k over someone new!
Two years of workplace facilitators and counselling produced cosmetic change, especialy in the presence of outsiders, but no real changes in manger’s behaviour

The problem with being honest is he

You are in a right pickle that’s for sure. On the one hand it sounds like you are dealing with a real paranoid and the best thing to do with paranoids is be up front about as much as possible. On the other hand, the best thing you can do is make a case against the guy with his bosses.

Added to that basic quandary is the fact that, for your own sanity in the short term I suspect, you probably want to point out to him where he could show some improvement in terms of his job performance. Bit of a role reversal there certainly and one he is not likely to respond well to.

The advice I gave about being calm, rational and politely direct with him is still good though I think assuming that what you really want to do is “change a seriously crazy boss”.

In fact it would probably be easier to push him towards some sort of denouement in which he finally does something so crazy his bosses can’t help but notice. Others I’m sure could give you better advice on that.

Make it about you.

“Gee, I would love to be able to do what you want, but with all these meetings, I’m finding it hard to be an efficient worker in accomplishing what we both would like to happen for this company. When you threaten to kill Jimmy, it makes him really nervous and then he can’t get as much work done.”

Something along those lines. Pointing out his faults directly may cause him to bring in his friend Mr. AK-47. You don’t want to meet his friend.

As Poe… the singer, not Edgar Allen… sang in Trigger Happy Jack, “Can’t talk to a psycho like a normal human being”.

Hi, just adding my grain of salt.

From what you said I agree he is a nuts, and should receive medical assistance. However, just because he’s nuts doesn’t mean you’re not scheming and evil :laughing:

As for the whole thing about letters, a friend of mine had the same experience back in japan. After the second time he would stop rewriting the letter, and just submit again one of the first 2 tries, and kept re-submitting it if it was refused. Usually it worked at the 4th or 5th try, wether the letter was actually reworked or not!

have no fear – to change a crazy boss: (1) quit your job, (2) find a new boss

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]I’m seriously considering trying to find a way to get a corporate internal-relations facilitator (I don’t know if they have them in Taiwan; they do in the West) to work with my department and my boss at work. Here’s the scoop.

My boss is a complete, screwed-up, nut case. He’s seriously paranoid and insecure. I don’t mean it as a personal insult, but as an objective analysis I believe it’s fair, heck an understatement, to say that he is mentally ill. In his mind, everyone is scheming and evil (particularly the heads of other departments and top management in our company), so our staff is never asked to handle matters in a simple, direct manner (for fear of getting stabbed in the back), instead being directed to use complex psychology ruses to compensate for everyone else’s evil, as set out for us in lengthy conferences.

He is totally incapable of thinking by himself, but calls members of the department in to his office for endless meetings, usually running over an hour per meeting, one after another, till some days I’ll spend 3 or 4 hours in his office, other days longer. My co-worker gets it worse and averages at least 5 or 6 hours a day in there, listenening to stories, strategy, analysis and receiving instructions for tasks we’ll never be able to accomplish because we’re always in conference.

The boss never does anything personally. Does not read emails (literally: one must deliver everything to his secretary to give him hard copies). Does not write them (I literally have not seen 1 email from him in the 3 months I’ve been there). Does not write anything, not even 1 page letters or memos, instead telling us how to write them, then calling us in for conferences on the letter and requiring us to revise it over and over, sometimes 5 or 6 times for a 1 page letter he could have written himself in 15 minutes. Sometimes he will assign 2 or 3 people to write that 1 page letter, all of us going through the conferences and revisions described above.

As a consequence of the above lunacy, a few of us end up going home regularly between 7:30 and 9 pm, when we should be done at 6:30 or 7 if our boss would just let us sit down and work (and would do some of the work himself).

And then there’s the harassment. Several members of our department have been threatened with being fired, jailed or killed by him (ludicrous as the jail and death threats are, he doesn’t appear to be joking, and the persons receiving the threats are seriously bothered by them). Others have been told, “if you don’t do____, I will make your life miserable” (of course he already does).

The sad thing is, I work for a great company, the pay’s good, the work’s very interesting, the only problem is our lunatic boss. Years ago I was on the board of a non-profit entity in the US and we hired a corporate trainer to come in and work with us for a day, trying to improve internal relations, improving morale and productivity.

Do such corporate trainers exist in Taiwan? Can someone provide me with contact info for one/some? Do you think there’s any chance such a person, if required to work with our dept by HR or management, could work together with all of us, then individually with staff and the boss, and in the end tell the boss how screwed up his ways are and recommend certain particular changes in order to improve morale and productivity? Or, is that a fantasy with regard to (a) a 55 year-old adult who is mentally ill and fixed in his ways, and (b) in a Chinese society, that believes the boss is king and doesn’t care much for touchy, feely social worker type stuff?

Incidentally, I believe the top-management knows a little about how screwed up he is, and that’s part of the reason they like to beat up on him emotionally, but of course that doesn’t help, only making him more insecure and taking it out on us more. And HR also knows there’s a problem; an HR member told me that there have been lots of complaints about him in exit interviews with those who could no longer stand working for him.

What do you think? Any chance of making a change?[/quote]

I hate to be the voice of doom, but you are living in a place where the finest psychologists and counselors also help you contact your dead relatives. Its a bit of a murky backward 3rd world slum when it comes things like you are looking for. There very well may be one guy named Chen down in Taichung who may or may not do this when he’s not too busy schmoozing with local government officials.

The fact is, he is above the people complaining, therefore their complaints, although they don’t fall on deaf ears, are about equal to cockroach dung. If they remove him, the people who PUT him in the position will lose face, and they’d rather see the company driven into the ground that allow that to happen.

Reason #1,254,331 why I don’t work for local clients or companies, lol. I wish that I had a better answer, but you are the second person in 3 months who has had a VERY similar story.

BTW, I kid you not about the psychologist wisecracks…I’ve got family members with serious chemical imbalances and the shrinks here remind me of The Three Stooges wrapped up in one Suei Jiao wrapper.

Great. So the shrink is telling me I have problems and my brother is agreeing. Lovely.

Tell him to fuck off.

Great. So the shrink is telling me I have problems and my brother is agreeing. Lovely.[/quote]

Lol, yeah…and I’ve got my dad saying “Yeah, he’s been a nutcase since the time that…”