Can somebody help me to find a job?

Hi, I am new here and in Taiwan and hope, you can help me. I would like to find some parttime job at evenings or mornings, but it seems very difficult. I do not speak or hear very well chinese mandarin and also cannot write or read, but I believe I can learn very fast and easier. My english is also very poor -as you see-, but I am pretty good in indonesian.
I would do any jobs to survive. I want to study here, but I know, that it would be impossible when I do not have any jobs. Unfortunately I do not have any skills or experience except in gastronomy and service.

Have somebody any advise or tipps for me? Thank you very much in advance.

Before we can help you, we need to know your status in Taiwan. How did you come to be in Taiwan? You say you’re new. How new?

Are you a Taiwan citizen - Passport & ID card holder?
Are you a foreign citizen - Visitor visa? Work-permit visa?
Educational level?
Professional skills?
What type of job would you like to do?

This information is vital so we can assist you in the best way possible.

Hi Northcoast Surfer,

thank you for your reply. I am a foreign citizen and have a visitor visa. I know, I am not allowed now to work. But still I hope to find a job that can change the status, otherwise I maybe just get back home after my savings are all used :frowning:
I do not have any bachelor degree. I did a lot of jobs like babysitting and at restaurants. I hope to find some jobs that required my ability to speak indonesien, but unfortunately not able to speak or write chinese fluently, it seems here is impossible. So I think, I would just take, what I can find.

If you want to study, you’ve taken the wrong approach. Turning up on a visitor visa with no skills is just going to burn your precious savings. A job is not required for a study visa. In fact, it’s illegal (or was - things may have changed).

I suggest the first thing you should do is to make a list of all the universities which are (a) offering undergraduate courses taught in English and (b) actively encouraging foreign students. These guys can probably help you:

kdei-taipei.org/id/

Either the university, or the Indonesian gov’t, may be offering sponsorship - enough to cover your tuition fees at least. How much you get (or if you get it) will depend on your subject. As Northcoast Surfer just said, it would be a good idea to first decide what it is you want from life, and what you’re interested in. No point studying engineering (for example) if you’ll hate it. Then go visit the universities, and ask them about enrolment (what qualifications/documents are required, dates, visa arrangements…).

Don’t worry about poor English (your English is better than most Taiwanese people). Academic standards here are quite low and you will do just fine even if you don’t understand half of what’s being said. There will normally be a course in Chinese Language (which you must take) included in the degree course.

I also suggest checking newspapers for “dormitory managers” - people who can communicate in Chinese and (usually) Tagalog or Bahasa Indonesia. Limited Chinese should be fine - you’re not going to need to discuss philosophy. Websites like 1111.com.tw/ might also be useful - use Google Chrome to get an instant translation.

Can you explain why you decided to come to Taiwan? I mean (if you don’t mind me asking) why do you think your situation in Indonesia was worse than it would be here?

Hallo Finley,

thank you for your advise. I come here because I want to learn chinese, be able to speak and write chinese in the future, it would help me a lot to find better jobs in my country or maybe anywhere else. To learn chinese in my country would be also not that effective for conversation and hearing.
My chinese course beginn next week until march. After that, maybe I would also try to find unversity that provide undergraduates program in english (do I actually have to make any TOEFL here to prove my english? But okay, I can try to find it).

Finley has some great ideas and you should explore his recomendations. :bravo: A foreign student scholarship sounds perfect, if you can get one. Further, if you can study on your visitor visa first and then apply for a student visa later, you can get permission from the government to work in conjuction with your study in order to help support yourself. I don’t have any experience or knowledge regarding student visa holders working, but I’ve heard it’s doable as long as you get the required permission and work-permit. Then, you’ll be able to study Chinese and make some money to support yourself while you’re here.

Good luck. Oh…and welcome to Taiwan.
:bow:

Thank you very musch, both of you :slight_smile:. I would try my best.

Hi guys, I see I have company in my job search.
Currently I am looking for a job in Taipei therefore I decided to subscribe to this website:
Anyone of you already did? So, perhaps you can help me solve the mystery.
I can not put any telephone number on this section: 住家電話 so the data are not saved and the second step doesn’t load :fume:
It’s frustrating, I tried my mobile, my home home telephone, but it didn’t work.
Can you help, please?

You could consider this. My ex-girlfriend works with the UMAP group at 輔仁大學 (Furen University).

umap.org/usco/en/about/stude … rogram.php

There are some Indonesian (印尼) shops around Taipei. You could probably ask them if they want to find someone who will pay you in cash to work part-time. That’s what many other immigrant students do here.

[quote=“TAICAN”]This may be of help:

TAICAN English is looking for people to recruit Taiwanese English students for summer study vacations in Vancouver, Canada. TAICAN offers a premium product for our Taiwanese students visiting Canada to study English. As such, the commission payment schedule for our recruiters is very lucrative! For each student you find us, we will pay you a minimum of 15,000 NT. The more students you sign up, the higher the commission becomes. By the 6th student, you earn 25,000 NT per student! This could easily be your full time job, or simply on the side in your spare time. For example, if you were to enroll 6 students in one month, your income would be well over 100,000 NT, and we pay directly in cash upon receiving payment from the student. And as a further incentive, TAICAN agents that manage to sign up 10 students will receive a 30,000 NT bonus. If you are an English teacher (Taiwanese or foreigner), perhaps one of your students may be interested already? As a further suggestion, you may want to utilize your friends and work colleagues as ‘sub-agents’ to help you in your recruiting efforts by offering them a percentage of these commissions. TAICAN will provide you with brochures, a website address, business cards and a powerpoint presentation to help you recruit students if you so desire. For further information please email taicanenglish@gmail.com or send us a quick reply here on Forumosa.[/quote]

Jesus, say it again, TAICAN.

[quote=“campus”]Hi, I am new here and in Taiwan and hope, you can help me. I would like to find some parttime job at evenings or mornings, but it seems very difficult. I do not speak or hear very well chinese Mandarin and also cannot write or read, but I believe I can learn very fast and easier. My english is also very poor -as you see-, but I am pretty good in indonesian.
I would do any jobs to survive. I want to study here, but I know, that it would be impossible when I do not have any jobs. Unfortunately I do not have any skills or experience except in gastronomy and service.

Have somebody any advise or tipps for me? Thank you very much in advance.[/quote]

If you want to study here there are tons of scholarships. They won’t make you rich, but will allow you to live decently and carry on your studies with no worries. Beware though that most are for engineering or science degrees and for PhD programs (at least the ones paying more). Check out the TIGP program at Academia Sinica (deadline in one month) or the ITRI scholarship. You’ll find them easily through Google.

Your experience in gastronomy and service is GOLD here. Depending on your experience you will be able to find tons of full-time or part-time jobs with good pay (entry level around 65.000) and your language skills will not matter at all. I have lots of friends working as chefs and managers in Italian restaurants in Taipei. PM me and I will get in touch with them. Your visa might be an issue, but I am sure you will be able to do a visa run to Hong Kong if you find a good job and need to reapply for a work visa.