Can someone please explain Canada for me?

I would have to guess the majority of you aren’t as vocal in your “not American” introduction when applying for pseudo-American teaching jobs though huh? :slight_smile:

I would have to guess the majority of you aren’t as vocal in your “not American” introduction when applying for pseudo-American teaching jobs though huh? :slight_smile:[/quote]

You think Canadians pretend they are Americans to get teaching jobs? :loco:

Sorry, just as an American I find it ironic (some, not all) Canadians spouting off “we’re not Americans”, backpack patches, and all the usually crap but at the same time don’t mind reaping the spoils of being mistaken as Americans to land teaching jobs because of the whole American English Teaching machine here in E/SE Asia.

Respond if you want but I’ve seen too many of these threads go forever so I will not respond. I just wanted to explain my remark that is all. Peace, P.H.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Like most Americans, after several decades of living next door to Canada, I know practically nothing about the country, except that hockey is big, police ride horses [/quote]Police ride horses where cars can’t go, which is mostly far north. I don’t ever remember seeing cops on horses, except during special commemorative events. And yes, we do have running water and electricity. :wink:

[quote]From time to time I wonder what life is like up there. Such thoughts passed through my mind yesterday as I viewed real property listings in Ontario, in connection with my work, and was amazed by the beautiful houses with park-like settings that one can buy for roughly half the price of California realty. But, for all I know one, Ontario may be a miserable dump and life there would be hell.[/quote]Real estate is even cheaper in Quebec. There are some beautiful small villages outside of Montreal where you could buy a house for very cheap. Under 100K. That comes with the big yard, the garden, the shed, the dog house, the picket fence and the finished basement.

[quote]Here’s my uninformed preconceptions of the different regions in Canada (with some help from a map). Vancouver is beautiful and more than half the population is Asian, but it’s very expensive (and probably cold and wet in the winter).[/quote]Vancouver has some of the mildest and shortest winters in Canada. The Pacific winds keeps it that way. [quote] Newfoundland is very rugged and beautiful but only fishermen, loners and lunatics would want to live there. [/quote]And they speak funny too. :wink: [quote] Toronto and Montreal are decent places to live (for Canada) and the French influence probably isn’t too annoying.[/quote]If you stay in Montreal, things are OK. If you drive only an hour outside of Montreal, you can often run into some severly gung ho separatists, and the language influence can be a bit of a pain. [quote] Other than that, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba are vast wastelands populated by cowboys and others who don’t fit into modern society,[/quote]Alberta is home of the Rocky Mountains, the biggest playground in Canada. Good skiing, hiking, climbing, Mountain biking, kayaking, etc, etc, etc. [quote] and the Northwest Territory is fit only for eskimos and those on the lam from the law.[/quote]NT is a lot like central Australia with colder weather and with bears and elks instead of kangaroos. [quote]Overall, there may be some nice places to live in Canada, but the country still seems second-rate when compared to other places one could choose to live in the world (not including Taiwan of course).[/quote]It depends what you’re after. Taxes are too high, but for someone who is say…A lawyer, the money shouldn’t be too much of an issue. I like eastern and western Canada. I like nature, forests, red leaves on maple trees in the fall, water streams and clean rivers, small unpolluted lakes, and all that good stuff that beats the concrete of cities. I miss it, and I hate it at the same time…

[quote] How about my regional descriptions – valid?[/quote]Close enough for a Yank. :wink: Very close in fact.

Oh and poutine is a good thing goddamnit! :slight_smile:

Great post BobPine

A real piece of work you are Ralphy! Canadians trying to pass for Americans to get teaching jobs is nothing but bullshit and doesn’t even make sense. As far as the references to the Canadian flag on the backpack, soooooo played out. I don’t have one and neither do any of my Canadian friends.

Bongo’s poutine doesn’t quite rank with the very best in Montreal, but it’s damn good. If only we could get Schwartz’s here.

Montreal Smoked Meat sandwiches…Steamies…oooooh…Karnatzel…

Me tinks he be refer’n to Nort Amuricun Inglish. Steak’n da claim. Plant’n da flag. Don’tcha know?

Andrew doesn’t have the curds. But the fries are damn close as is the gravy. Be hard pressed to get the curds anywhere but Quebec. I need a new keyboard now, btw. Just thinking of Schwartz’s got my pavlovian response going so badly, I drooled all up in it. How about those Forum HotDogs? Did the change much in the move to The Molson Centre? Let’s not forget Souvlaki too. Or any of the other hundreds of international culinary delights that dot The Main.

And Ralphy, you are embarrassing yourself and all good Americans everywhere. Trying to pass for American to get a teaching job.??? That’s friggin’ hilarious. Just what do you propose the thousands of us do when it comes time to submit our passports? Sing Yankee Doodle Dandy at the top of our lungs hoping the CLA/MOFA/FAP won’t notice the big maple leaf on every page? But hey, no need to respond. Keep your head way up your butt where it belongs.

Canadian humour…its just one of the many reasons we love our neighbors to the North, eh!.. :canada:

okay, I lied. Sorry for the post it was a bit trollish but its friday! Isn’t that a good enough reason. Anyways I’ll drink a moosejuice (if I can find one) in your hono(u)r tonight if it helps.

Drink a sourdough cocktail and I’ll forgive ya. :wink:

The Molson Centre–now the Bell Centre following the team’s sale–doesn’t have great dogs, and the beer–could they push Molson Ex any harder?–sucks. Fortunately, Brutopia’s just a couple blocks away. (LOVE the island’s house-brews!) Unfortunately, the Forum’s now a travesty: The Pepsi Forum, or some godawful thing, jammed full of movie screen, overly expensive chain restaurants, and tarted up with a section of the old seats, complete with a painted patch of floor and statues of cheering fans.

Souvlaki’s great, but I tended to hit al Tieb for kafta, zahta or pizza. Unless, that is, the sun was coming up, in which case that basement dinner at the northeast corner of the Forum (forget the name) is still open and doing well.

Smoked meat at Schwartz’s or Ben’s, a pint or three at Brutopia, Habs vs. Canucks, bucket 'o beer and the show at SuperSexe, breakfast at 4:00: that was a good time. :beer:

The Molson Centre–now the Bell Centre following the team’s sale–doesn’t have great dogs, and the beer–could they push Molson Ex any harder?–sucks. Fortunately, Brutopia’s just a couple blocks away. (LOVE the island’s house-brews!) Unfortunately, the Forum’s now a travesty: The Pepsi Forum, or some godawful thing, jammed full of movie screen, overly expensive chain restaurants, and tarted up with a section of the old seats, complete with a painted patch of floor and statues of cheering fans.

Souvlaki’s great, but I tended to hit al Tieb for kafta, zahta or pizza. Unless, that is, the sun was coming up, in which case that basement dinner at the northeast corner of the Forum (forget the name) is still open and doing well.

Smoked meat at Schwartz’s or Ben’s, a pint or three at Brutopia, Habs vs. Canucks, bucket 'o beer and the show at SuperSexe, breakfast at 4:00: that was a good time. :beer:[/quote]

Wow, what memories. Wasn’t that restaurant called The Moustache or something? I have a great story about that restaurant and sharing it may help the OP understand the “joie de vivre” that is (at least this part of) Canada.

New Year’s Eve, 1990. I was bartending in a high profile bar on Metcalfe, just a slapshot away fromthe old Forum. I had a client from Boston up for the festivities and this guy was a whale. After we closed down the bar, he invited a select group of us back to his suite at the Delta for more partying. At some point, a lovely French Canadian lass invited me into the bathroom to relieve her of her dress. So did as I was told. Once unencumbered of her frilly little number, she slipped ever so vivaciously into her full length mink coat. Garter, hose, matching brassiere and mink coat. Hmmmm…time to go…

We hopped a cab and went to that diner you speak of for steak and eggs. There she sat, this vision of sultriness, hungrily chowing on her slab while just as hungrily eyeing mine. Still in her “costume” with her dress draped across my lap, we were the highlight of the diner to be sure.

Back to my place, where, unfortunately, our story takes a downturn. She lay on my bed, still in her mink but opened wide to reveal the inner treasure when, alas, I was too drunk. Twas like stuffing marshmallows into a piggybank. Being French, she understood and was there the next morning (afternoon) to make things right. I saw her for a month or so after that and we parted ways in the friendliest of fashions.

When I think about those nights in Montreal…

I enjoyed the anecdote, Dogfaces. That was more than 15 years ago, and you make it sound like it was yesterday. :wink:

Ow! Ow!!! Damn, Dogfaces… a man could weep.
(That woman may have.)
Still, that’s a BEAUTIFUL story; a slice of Montreal that fueled Leonard Cohen’s early stuff.

Jacques Villeneuve’s New City has got to be the highest profile bar in the city now, but it’s far too well-heeled for my tastes. (During the F1 a few years ago, I did catch AC/DC performing a free concert in the street outside of New City. I was never able to see that band when they were big, so that was alright.) The hippest place in town has got to be Le Drugstore on the far end of St. Catherine in the Village. Amazing four or five story lesbian bar, and packed every Thursday, Friday, Saturday night. (Something I never figured out in Montreal: Thursday’s the big night out.)
Interesting difference with Vancouver: the late-night bike patrol cops in Vancouver ride around with their game faces on–serious and stern. The same cops in Montreal are relaxed and bantering with bypassers.

MT-- a difference that a couple of female American classmates highlighted to me. One was from Scottsdale, the other from Chicago. Initially, both were freaked out by the absence of any sort of threatening vibe. (My reaction: Huh?) They stressed this repeatedly: back home, there were places you didn’t go, and mostly places you went, you walked with attitude, ready to react. When they arrived in Montreal, it took both a few months to adjust to the absence of any vibe justifying that posture. So much so, that they were more on edge because they found themselves expecting to have a subtle ambush sprung when they least suspected. (My reaction: “You’re kidding, right?”) They’re both fairly level-headed, street-smart women. I’ve no idea, but that’s their story… take it for what it’s worth, 'cause I dunno.

AC/DC? Really? That tops out every street performance I’ve ever seen in Montreal, which includes Buckwheat Zydeco in front of at least 100,000 on Dorchester (anglo til the end mon frere) or Buddy Guy and Albert Collins jamming on top of cars on St. Denis. Well, I was actually still inside the club. They took the show on the road. Damn! AC/DC! Damn.

That’s better than UB40 and The Fine Young Cannibals on Wreck Beach. Way better. Just had to get coastal to remind our OP of another of Canada’s greatest sites. Meanwhile, back in La Belle Ville:

That’s better than seeing King Crimson at Le Club Montreal.

Damn!

Here’s a tragic one. As a lad, I had a client that ran security for DKD Productions. A certain band was about to go on tour and were going to use The Forum to rehearse. They were going to build their show over a period of 2 weeks and I was invited to drop by and watch. Anytime. And I could bring friends.

Then Bonham died.

[quote=“Jaboney”]Ow! Ow!!! Damn, Dogfaces… a man could weep.
(That woman may have.)
Still, that’s a BEAUTIFUL story; a slice of Montreal that fueled Leonard Cohen’s early stuff.

Jacques Villeneuve’s New City has got to be the highest profile bar in the city now, but it’s far too well-heeled for my tastes. (During the F1 a few years ago, I did catch AC/DC performing a free concert in the street outside of New City. I was never able to see that band when they were big, so that was alright.) The hippest place in town has got to be Le Drugstore on the far end of St. Catherine in the Village. Amazing four or five story lesbian bar, and packed every Thursday, Friday, Saturday night. (Something I never figured out in Montreal: Thursday’s the big night out.)
Interesting difference with Vancouver: the late-night bike patrol cops in Vancouver ride around with their game faces on–serious and stern. The same cops in Montreal are relaxed and bantering with bypassers.

MT-- a difference that a couple of female American classmates highlighted to me. One was from Scottsdale, the other from Chicago. Initially, both were freaked out by the absence of any sort of threatening vibe. (My reaction: Huh?) They stressed this repeatedly: back home, there were places you didn’t go, and mostly places you went, you walked with attitude, ready to react. When they arrived in Montreal, it took both a few months to adjust to the absence of any vibe justifying that posture. So much so, that they were more on edge because they found themselves expecting to have a subtle ambush sprung when they least suspected. (My reaction: “You’re kidding, right?”) They’re both fairly level-headed, street-smart women. I’ve no idea, but that’s their story… take it for what it’s worth, 'cause I dunno.[/quote]

They should have gone to Vancouver.

I read a book a few years ago called “How to be a Canadian: Even if you already are”. I thought it was very funny and also very accurate. I’m not sure if someone with little knowledge of Canada would catch the humour though. It provides a very light look at the characteristics (good and bad) of Canadians.

I have lived in Nova Scotia, PEI, New Brunswick and Alberta but spent most of my life in Newfoundland, Labrador to be more precise, on an air force base. It was a town of about 8000. Many of those stationed there decided to stay because they liked the laid back lifestyle and the outdoor life. They liked the fact that people weren’t pushing drugs on their kids and they could let the kids go out without worrying. If you were looking for “culture” as far as the arts go there was pretty much nothing, but that is not for everyone.