Can someone please explain Canada for me?

[quote=“Dogfaces”]Wow, what memories. Wasn’t that restaurant called The Moustache or something? I have a great story about that restaurant and sharing it may help the OP understand the “joie de vivre” that is (at least this part of) Canada.

New Year’s Eve, 1990. I was bartending in a high profile bar on Metcalfe, just a slapshot away fromthe old Forum. I had a client from Boston up for the festivities and this guy was a whale. After we closed down the bar, he invited a select group of us back to his suite at the Delta for more partying. At some point, a lovely French Canadian lass invited me into the bathroom to relieve her of her dress. So did as I was told. Once unencumbered of her frilly little number, she slipped ever so vivaciously into her full length mink coat. Garter, hose, matching brassiere and mink coat. Hmmmm…time to go…

We hopped a cab and went to that diner you speak of for steak and eggs. There she sat, this vision of sultriness, hungrily chowing on her slab while just as hungrily eyeing mine. Still in her “costume” with her dress draped across my lap, we were the highlight of the diner to be sure.

Back to my place, where, unfortunately, our story takes a downturn. She lay on my bed, still in her mink but opened wide to reveal the inner treasure when, alas, I was too drunk. Twas like stuffing marshmallows into a piggybank. Being French, she understood and was there the next morning (afternoon) to make things right. I saw her for a month or so after that and we parted ways in the friendliest of fashions.

When I think about those nights in Montreal…[/quote]I remember reading this in a Penthouse Letters forum…but the part where - “She lay on my bed, still in her mink but opened wide to reveal the inner treasure when, alas, …” was “I saw a johnson twice the size of my own hanging out there…”
Good story…

Lola, lo lo lo lo Lola. Lo lo lo lo Lola.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”] “I saw a johnson twice the size of my own hanging out there…”
Good story…[/quote]

That’d have to be a mighty big johnson then. :laughing:

Canada is like the US, except they have an inferiority complex. They also have a case of the French disease. :laughing:

The Canadian government taxes people to death. They even want our hard earned money that we ( Canadians ) earn here in Taiwan. Thank God Taiwan doesn’t give Canada any information about who is working here.

Nonsense. Taxes are not much higher than in the better states in the US. In addition, if you declare non-residency you do not have to pay any taxes. Seems pretty fair to me.

Thanks everyone for the great introduction to Canada. It does sound like a great place. I appreciate the photos and anecdotes.

If I weren’t married, with a young child, a very busy full-time job, and on the other side of the world, I’d love to take a month off and travel across the country and experience it first hand (and I regret not having done so 20 years ago or so).

It does sound like a decent place to live and I would seriously consider moving there (it’s not that I don’t like my home country of the USA – I love the US, there are lots of great things about it, although admittedly the things I dislike seem to have increased in recent years – but I’ve lived so many places in and out of the US, that my attachment has loosened, I see nothing wrong with trying other places, and my home state of California has unfortunately gotten ridiculously expensive, so I’ve pondered other locations), BUT . . .

A fellow formosan (who happens to be an Irishman with a minor in Canadian Studies of all the crazy things) and I were chatting about the idea of moving to Canada or NZ or some other nice location that is completely new and remote to each of us and he had this to say:

He pointed out that he’ll likely live in either Taiwan or Ireland (or perhaps elsewhere in that region), in order to be close to either his family or his wife’s family and I suppose that makes sense, if one has good relations with ones family, unless there is an extremely compelling reason to choose some other location (ie., a very good/high-paying job). I suppose the same probably applies to me as well. While I’m still curious about Canada and hope to go visit some day, it probably wouldn’t make sense for me to consider living there when there are plenty of great places in California and elsewhere in the States that are a lot closer to my family.

PS: btw, dogfaces, no offense intended at all, but just thought I’d let you know that every time I see your name I think of dogfeces. As I said, nothing personal, just a trick my eyes play on me.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]

PS: btw, dogfaces, no offense intended at all, but just thought I’d let you know that every time I see your name I think of dogfeces. As I said, nothing personal, just a trick my eyes play on me.[/quote]

No offense taken. It’s where the name came from in the first place.