Can Taiwan/foreign couple use the same line at airport passport control?

Hi All,
I have a Taiwan passport and my foreign spouse has a visitor visa and special entry permit and we will be going back to Taiwan together to visit family. I doubt there would be issues with the special entry permit but given these crazy times I want to queue up at the “non-citizen” line with my spouse to make sure we both can enter together. I don’t quite remember how it’s organized at Taoyuan airport. Does anyone have any experience when traveling as a family that citizen and non-citizen members can use the same queue at Taoyuan passport control and be called up for inspection together? like how it’s done in the USA? I appreciate your help if you can share similar experience and help relieve our anxiety while traveling during the pandemic. Thank you.

Just cue up at the non-citizen/foreigner line with them, there won’t be an issue. It’s not like the US where if you’re a foreigner the CPB will treat you like a criminal and interrogate you. (Speaking from past spousal experience).

1 Like

There’s been once or twice when I’ve been travelling with my girlfriend (she has an ARC, I didn’t at the time) where the person telling people where to go separated us at the front of the queue and told her she should use the line for ARC holders (usually much shorter anyway).

I wouldn’t worry about it though - just queue up with her if you want. It’s not like they’re gonna send you both back or imprison you for being in the wrong queue.

When with family (Taiwanese spouse and dual-citizen children, entering on R.O.C. passports), I always line up with them in R.O.C. citizen line. Never a peep for over a decade of doing it.

1 Like

Don’t get to excited about queuing. There may not be a line.

Go to the foreigner line together if you have and want a choice.

1 Like

Do you have a Taiwan residence permit? Or would this work for someone coming to Taiwan on a visa exempt visit? The foreigner line is so long and my Taiwanese family has to wait forever for me to get through.

Yes, have ARC.
I would go for it, anyway, because the immigration officials are on the same computer system. It shows that your spouse is together with you, instead of pointing far away, and saying “She/he is over there. yeah, that’s why I’m entering Taiwan.”
You won’t see many people anyway at customs. Just ask the first person you see.

1 Like

Wife and I always race to get through first. Well, until the new E-gates. I have an ARC so it’s not usually a problem. But the UK we have to queue together. Taiwan’s different!

Slightly off-topic, but if you don’t mind, could I ask more about your spouse’s visitor visa and special entry permit – I’m in the same situation with my foreign spouse. Is the special entry permit a separate document from the visitor visa, and did you have to submit a separate application and fees?

For a US-passport holder, I believe it’s US$160 to apply for the visitor visa under the “family visit” category via the BOCA online portal and submitted to a Taiwan overseas mission (TECO). Was including a TECO-authenticated marriage certificate enough or was your spouse asked to provide other documents in order to successfully get the visa + special permit? (Any need for the household registration booklet 戶籍名簿, plane ticket proof, etc.?)

I asked in another thread and I didn’t see a response from anyone who had gotten these during COVID. Thanks in advance.

Hi Cherrim,

We applied for a visitor visa and verbally said we also wanted the “special entry permit” and it seemed like they’ve heard that request frequent enough and that it was probably redundant during the current pandemic, that in response there was like a “sigh.,…” and a stare back then nod, like “yes, of course, we know.”

When we got the visa, it’s basically a regular visitor visa with 2 lines of extra text at the very bottom of the visa saying “including special entry permit during covid-19 pandemic”

and yes you will need a copy of your personal 戶籍名簿, showing that you, the Taiwan spouse, has 戶口in Taiwan, and a copy of your plane tickets. And the marriage certificate, which needs to be translated into Chinese, and certified/authenticated already by the consulate. Your marriage certificate might be the rate-limiting step if it’s not translated and authenticated by the consulate already.

Also, at the end, I wasn’t allowed to use the non-citizen line but we both entered without issue.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update :grin: