Can the boss interfere of what you do outside of work?

We just had a meeting with our unreasonable boss and he doesn

I don’t think it is unreasonable that a boss asks that his employees not moonlight. Tell your friend to find a better-paying job or not plan families until he’s rolling in some money. Some bosses are mean, but fortunately we are in a country where you are allowed to choose where you work.

Same goes for giving the boss your cellphone. If you don’t want him calling, use the block feature.

I would not give the cell number to my boss - and I would not tell him if I moonlighted. After all what I do after 5pm is my business.

I suppose the main question is: Is the employee’s moonlighting affecting his work (turning up to the office late, sleepiness during the day etc) or threatening in any way to his current employer (moonlighting for competitors or potential competitors)?
Is he permitted within the law to do paid work for another company? If he is not, then his current employer has every right to demand him to quit (after all, it is an illegal activity).
As for the cellphone stuff, every company has their own policy. Some demand that employees be available 24 hours a day to handle a crisis should one arise (which in my mind is not entirely unreasonable.)

Ask yourself this question: Is your colleague is being singled out and treated differently to other employees? If he is being treated the same as everybody else then your colleague should perhaps consider moving to another company with more liberal policies.

Unless your friend has signed a contract of employment that specifies no paid work outside of his job with your company ,then your boss cannot force him to quit the job. This would be even more so if the hours of work are clearly specified eg 9-5 pm (Many jobs have a fairly open ended commitment re: hours worked).

However if your friends quality of work declines significantly due to the commitments outside of work, then your boss could fire him for unacceptable performance.

At my work , other jobs are not specifically banned , however taking a part time job outside would not help your promotion prospects as ths would be interpretted as not giving 100% commitment !!

You dont have to give your private mobile phone to anyone. But again in a work environment where commitment to the company is seen as important, it would be interpretted in a negative way by many managers if you refused. ie like refusing to provide your home phone number in case there is a business emergency.

Someone told me that if you have a government job you are under no circumstances allowed to have another job. Hey Miaka, do you work for the government?

If D is a foreigner and the boss provides the work permit, then D must stop working his PT evening job. If he’s Taiwanese, then he should just lie and say he did and never bring it up again.

If you do give your boss your cellphone number which because you’re Chinese, you’ll probably have to do. I would promptly change it. When asked, I would say that I had a prank caller stalking me. The nice thing about Taiwan is that everybody lies and no one is responsible for anything, so you can take advantage of both these ideas and have no problems. It’s like being in a dilbert cartoon after awhile.

In Asia, Bosses like to think that they own you, hence the great desire to be one’s own boss. Not too long ago(50+ years) a boss did basically own you and your family. In such instances a change of employment is good for a piece of mind and better work enviroment.

Good luck,
Okami

Nah, I work for a local firm which are very bad with their management!

My coworker, D, he have a PT job @ studio doing recording works which he enjoyed a lot and it pays more than what he gets here in a month!! :shock: He have great performance @ work and never showed a sign of tirness, tardness and such. The boss is complaining about it because sometimes D will drive the boss around (which is NOT included in his job description) and if he have to leave at certain time, which is at 530pm, then the boss gets irritated and pissed off since he doesn’t have a driver around

I think it is ok for each of us to take on another job if we like. What we do outside of work is def. non of his business, as long as my PT job doesn’t interfere with my performance @ work.

[quote]Also, does the employer have the right to have employees

In regards to cell phone, I understand where Okami is coming from but our managers would usually called us on cell phone about business that can wait a while (as in 10 mins, or so when we get back to the office) I think our managers are control freaks, they like to get a hold of you EVERY SINGLE second if they can and you better pick it up or else!! Beside, if we are in the office, can’t you called the company?? If we are NOT in the office then I doubt I can get the paper work that you need, maybe you should call another employees in the office?!

A lady who worked in the office gets called from the boss ALL the time and even when she is riding the bike to work. The boss will just KEEPING her on her cell phone untill she picks up??! :shock: I mean com’on, can’t you like wait a while and then call again? Or at least called the office and asked where she is and stuff…

Sigh… i hate control freaks!

Get two handphone numbers, i.e. two SIMs (but one phone is enough), one you keep secret, the other one you tell your boss.
Then divert calls from the number you told your boss back to the office.

I have told my employees that they have the right to do whatever they want outside of work. Their free time is exactly that. My only stipulation is not to embarrass the schools (don’t want to see them on the Sunday morning news!).

The boss should show restraint about cell phone use. Don’t call an employee on their down time unless it is a real emergency. If an employee doesn’t want the boss to know his/her cell phone, then just say that you don’t have one.

Sounds as if the boss is a real prick.

[quote=“Rascal”]

Not necessarily since there might be a conflict of interest. Surely I didn’t want you to work for the competition after 5pm. :wink:[/quote]

I think that another set of laws would prevent that from happening… Otherwise your contract would stipulate that harming your company’s interests would be reason for firing, taking the employee to court etc

Clearly your friend works for a firm where the workforce is expendable, and instantly replacable (bit like English teaching, come to think of it). Therefore, if your friend gets into a strop with the boss, there is no effective “can” or “can’t”. If the boss makes unreasonable demands and your friend does not accede thereto, he or she will be fired, notwithstanding any attempt to convince said boss of the unreasonable nature of his demands. Time to look for a new job. Sadly, this is the way of the Taiwanese workplace (in my experience).

Is it really worth it to continue to be in this situation… something about the job must be really good for anyone to put up with any ‘irregularities’.

As it was explained to me:

The boss (administration’s, managment’s) job is to wring as much work out of the employees as possible, and to feel in control at all times.

The employee’s job is to make the boss (administration, management) believe that the above is happening.

If D has an evening job, I would strongly recommend a face-saving little fib. D is not going to do another job; he has a medical appointment, must be home to receive an international call, I don’t know, whatever. But it is definitely NOT D’s fault that he will not be able to stay past the end of working hours, and he is very, VERY sorry that it will be impossible for him to do it tonight. He is rolling in “bu hao yi si” and “bao qian” and the like, but he strides firmly out that door at 5:30 and goes about his business.

I would, however, recommend the use of a different name if D records things that will ever be aired on public broadcasting… :wink: or do you mean D is working as a recording engineer??

That seems to be a general attitude here. I have heard about a lot of firms which work that way in Taiwan.

Citizens of the ROC and a few foreign residents can just find another job. Most foreigners however have their work permits and ARC authorized by their employer. If their employer chooses they can revoke said documents and have the employee unofficially deported. Employers in Taiwan can also have their foreign employees barred from working in Taiwan for at least a year if they choose to do so.
If your co-worker has his work permit and ARC issued through your employer he must abide by any and all demands made by the employer or run the risk of unofficial deportation

My position is you’re always the boss, and the boss is never the boss. It’s your life. Do what you can with in the restrains of the law.

[quote]Most foreigners however have their work permits and ARC authorized by their employer. If their employer chooses they can revoke said documents and have the employee unofficially deported. Employers in Taiwan can also have their foreign employees barred from working in Taiwan for at least a year if they choose to do so.
[/quote]

They can’t have you deproted and they can’t ban you frm working.

Brian