Can the boss interfere of what you do outside of work?

Can you please explain to me why when I quit my job I was given a legal notice from the FAP telling me to leave the country within seven days and I could not obtain another ARC in Taiwan.

That’s different from being deported. It jsut means that your ARC has been cancelled, so your visa expires in 7 days. Ok, you said ‘unofficial deportation’, so I see your point, but we should eb clear about terminology, so as not to unintentionally spread false information.

You would have to leave Taiwan to get a new visa, hence you ‘could not obtain another ARC in Taiwan’, but this does not ban you from working in Taiwan for a year.

Brian

You are right of course it was not one year that I couldn

There’s no law or regulation that ‘blacklists’ people who quit. If your papers are in order for an ARC, and you are denied one, you shoudl try an administrative appeal. Who denied you?

PS Maybe this part of the thread could be moved to the ARC Issues part of the Legal forum?

Brian

This sounds like interesting stuff that i had never heard of (not in Taiwan anyway). Can we get this transferred to the legal forums and discuss it there. Similar laws exist in other countries where workers in certain sectors automatically get a ban from further employment in that country for a year (or more) to protect their former employers. It’s supposed to stop “poaching” of foreign talent by competitors.

In my case it was the Foreign Affairs Police, I was a teacher working for one of the Wego Schools. Simon was a business consultant and Susan was working in a public school hired through a third party. This type of thing is very common where I live. I suspect that every city or county does it differently. Who you work for must also influence the decision somehow.
I know the H1B visas for foreign technicians in the US, have similar problems.

Sounds like local corruption (or ignorance) rather than government policy then. If you’ve already got the work permit from the MOE, and the visa from MOFA, how could FAP deny you an ARC?

Brian

I applied through the National Police Headquarters in Taipei, the other two were in Taichung.
Even after I applied for the spousal ARC I was still forbidden by the government to work, support or join my family here in Taiwan for one year. My wife was six months pregnant and I had to make visa runs because I am not Chinese enough and pissed off the wrong employer. It took a formal complaint from a US congressman to the defacto ROC embassy in Washington for me to get my spousal ARC.

So do you think this was pressure from the Buxiban Owner’s Association and the blacklist they apparently have?

Also, one little question. Did you leave within your 7 days, or did you end up overstaying?

Brian

With the help of a friend I got an extension for 3 weeks until I could arrange a new passport and a multiple entry visa.
The only people I hold responsible for this type of corruption are those in the government of the ROC. Businesses have a right to protect their interest, it is the government and the people who elect it that bare the responsibility. That is not just my opinion but the opinion of many of the foreigners I have spoken to about Taiwan and the ignorant way it treats it

I have no objections to my employees taking a part-time job BUT it must i) not interfere with their performance at their primary place of work in terms of performance or safety ii) not be in the same area of business (potential conflict of interest/divided loyalties) and they must iii) inform the full-time employer. Another issue is the one of insurance; if I am paying insurance premiums then I do not wish to have our insurance pay out because of an accident caused by the employee or had by the employee because of a part-time job be it directly or indirectly. The proponents of “lying” about p/t jobs are being irresponsible, as following this course does not work. The bosses always find out and this erodes the trust placed in the employee as a member of the company and ultimately does the employee no good, causing extra scrutiny and cessation of promotion opportunities. Why should the primary employer invest in a person when that person chooses not to commit 100% to the employer. If it is economically not viable for the employee to survive with only the one full-time job then it is up to the employee to make the choice as to whether they should stay as they already had accepted the terms of employment from the employer.

Taiwanese are entrepreneurs. If they do something part-time outside the job, they are often preparing starting out on their own. That’s something an employer here would be wise to keep an eye on - and would be a good reason for the employee to shut up.

TAKE THIS JOB AND SHOVE IT - David Allen Coe

I’ve been workin’ in this fact’ry,
For nigh on fifteen years.
All this time, I watched my woman,
Drownin’ in a pool of tears.
An I’ve seen a lot of my good folk die,
Had a lot of bills to pay.
I’d give the shirt right off of my back,
If I had the guts to say.

Take this job and shove it,
I ain’t workin’ here no more.
My woman done left,
An’ took all the reasons I was workin’ for.
You better not to try to stand in my way,
As I’m a walkin’ out the door.

Well, that foreman, he’s a regular dog,
The line boss is a fool.
Got a brand new flat-top haircut;
Lord, he thinks he’s cool.
One of these days, I’m gonna blow my top,
And sucker, he’s gonna pay
Lord, I can’t wait to see their faces,
When I get the nerve to say:

My woman done left,
An’ took all the reasons I was workin’ for.
You better not to try to stand in my way,
As I’m a walkin’ out the door.

Take this job and shove it.

here is another scenario…
is it okay for me to find a part-time job on weekends because

1. I am bored
  2. I want to make more $$$
  3. I want to work at a local coffee shop to pratice my chinese…

I mean, aren’t those good enough reason for me to get a 2nd job?! Sometimes $$ isn’t what ppl want, it could be more of life experience, getting into the field… or whatever…

In the weekends???

“~One World, One Love, One Vibe~”???

A hung over barista???

[quote=“Mr He”]In the weekends???

“~One World, One Love, One Vibe~”???

A hung over barista???[/quote]

damn, Mr. He. what do you do for a living, investigator?? Police??
Please don’t give my secret life away!! :wink:

[quote=“MiakaW”]

Please don’t give my secret life away!! :wink:[/quote]

Coffe shop related stuff.

Teaching people how to extract a one-ounce shot of a heavenly fluid. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

I don’t think it is quite as simple as this. Doing a once-in-a-while project at home for pay doesn’t mean the boss will find out.

If doing the moonlighting project leads to some sort of benefit for the full-time company, then it wouldn’t ultimately do the employee no good, or cause extra scrutiny or cessate promotions–in fact, the opposite might happen, and a wise businessperson knows this.

It isn’t really up to the employee to make the choice if they should stay as accepted in terms of employment. It is up to the boss to decide whether to give them the boot or not, and boy is it a pain to replace people sometimes. Perhaps in the West moonlighting is naughty, but in this island of cheapshit bosses, I say try to get away with as much as you can.

I have several jobs, and make sure that the people who pay me know that I have several jobs. That way no-one can ‘demand’ anything of me like they did when I was owned by my employer. My attitude is that if I’m not compliant enough for you then you can hire someone else.

Funnily enough, the employers who accept this as fair and reasonable are also the people who don’t make the demands anyway. I have good relationships with all of them, and don’t think it’s fair to describe Taiwan as this island of cheapshit bosses. I’ve encountered a few since arriving here, but I’m so stupid and blind that I insist on seeing the best in people until they really piss me off. It’s a policy that has landed me a pretty good working environment, rate of pay, flexibility - and more than one unwelcome sub job that I feel obliged to take!

I see no harm in giving them my phone number either, but then I turn my phone off when I don’t want to be disturbed.

[quote=“Mr He”][quote=“MiakaW”]

Please don’t give my secret life away!! :wink:[/quote]

Coffe shop related stuff.

Teaching people how to extract a one-ounce shot of a heavenly fluid. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:[/quote]

You’re a sex therapist at a coffee shop?