Can we apply for taiwan passport if my mom is taiwanese and also natural-born in philippines?

Hello, i know my topic title is confusing but let me try my best to explain my current situation.

My mom is a taiwanese citizen with taiwan ID but she was born in Philippines. Her father is chinese national and her mom is filipino. She got married with my filipino dad and later gave birth to us.

A year after giving birth to me, she decided to get ROC passport. And because she was considered as 無戶籍國民 National without Household Registration by that time and also a taiwanese by descent, she was able to get roc passport right away in manila. She worked in taiwan for years and later got her taiwan ID.

My main scenario right now is after my dad died last 2020, my siblings and i decided to apply for taiwan passports. We tried to authenticate my parents’ marriage contract and death certificate first in teco for my mom to able to register those in household registry in taiwan. But was rejected by teco due to my mom’s nationality in their marriage contract and in all our birth certificates is filipino.

Teco asked first for her philippine passport, but she have never applied for philippine passport before. Teco asked us instead to correct my mother’s nationality in marriage contract and in our birth certificates from “filipino to chinese”.

Process of changing nationality in our certificates seems a very time consuming because it will go thru regional trial court for major corrections. Do you think is there any way easier to get taiwanese passport? Or can my mom apply for filipino passport in taiwan instead; in that way we don’t have to correct information in our certificates? She can have dual citizenship?

Thank you in advance for advice and help!

2 Likes

Is it just me, or there’s a problem in TECO Manila? A lot of posts were complaining about that particular TECO.

3 Likes

There are others better informed about this as they have been through the process but why would that be needed? to the best of my knowledge all you need should be proof of your mom’s hhr and that she is indeed your mom.

1 Like

Oh, that’s a smart solution.

1 Like

She definitely can.

2 Likes

Been researching about this, i think she can but not 100% sure. because she is natural-born in philippines and her mom is filipino? And due to pandemic and her heath condition, my mom wont be able go to philippines and apply for ph passport. Im waiting for meco’s reply if she can apply and do it here too. Hoping for positive feedback…

1 Like

Thank you! Hoping for that direction of solution. :slight_smile: I just hope she can apply it here in meco taipei.

1 Like

Mmmm… Im not really sure. Maybe teco manila are more strict with these things?

1 Like

I thought The Philippines didn’t allow dual citizenship.

If you Mom and not your Dad is Taiwanese you will have to have been born after 1980 to claim taiwanese citizenship I understand.

2 Likes

Yes. We are all born after 1980.

2 Likes

then you should definitely try to claim TW citizenship if you want to.

2 Likes

Yes. Thank you! Just having some problem with authenticating certificates.

1 Like

The Philippines does recognize Dual Citizenship.

Republic Act 9225 otherwise known as the Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition Act of 2003 (more popularly known as the Dual Citizenship Law) enables former natural-born Filipinos who have become naturalized citizens of another country to retain/reacquire their Philippine citizenship by taking an oath of allegiance to the Republic of the Philippines before a Philippine Consular Officer. Upon retaining or reacquiring their Philippine citizenship, they shall enjoy full civil, economic and political rights as Filipinos.
Dual Citizenship (RA 9225) - Philippine Consulate General (newyorkpcg.org)

@mybjon’s mom could be considered an RA 9225 Dual Citizen if she was naturalized

So, the question might be whether MECO considers the mother a naturalized ROC citizen. @mybjon should ask them for advice.

Not just you. I’ve had mostly difficult experiences with TECO Manila over the past 30 years. Fortunately, I have had mostly constructive and positive experiences with MECO Taipei

3 Likes

Thank you for clarifying!

It has been brought to my attention that mybjon’s mom’s dual citizenship status may NOT fall under RA 9225. So, their family should consult with MECO Taipei for advice – and maybe seek out the Assistance To Nationals (ATN) attorney over there. I do not know who the ATN officer is at this time.

In my own case, I was born in the Philippines and moved to the US when I was a toddler (so I only had a Filipino passport at that time). A few years later, my folks acquired US citizenship, and through them, I received a US passport as a minor. So, I became a US citizen by virtue of my having that passport - see p3 paragraph 4 and 33 CFR § 125.23 (e) - I never proactively sought citizenship, instead my parents did on my behalf; i.e., I was naturalized. When RA 9225 became law in the Philippines, it removed any doubt on whether I could renew my Philippine passport, so I did.

From these statements, it seems your mom became Filipino by birth, that is, via her mother, your maternal grandmother (see #2.1.2 jus sanguinis (right of blood) at immigration.gov.ph not to be confused by a Blood Oath). And after you were born, she was able to acquire an ROC passport, and then a Taiwan ID (that is, she is a naturalized ROC citizen, right? I would verify this with MECO Taipei)

So, today, she must have both a Filipino passport and a Taiwan passport – so, her successfully getting the ROC passport and Taiwan ID

2 Likes