Can we find any food that is not fried in Taiwan?

Because im a poor student :smiley: , i usually go to the lunchbox vendors near my school, and the food is usually really good.

But due to health concerns, I dont want to keep eating fried food.

But when I asked my Taiwanese friends about alternatives, they looked at me funny, and said, everything here is cooked in oil (no help there) :bow:

Does anyone know of any good places in Kaohsiung where someone can find non fried food (ie chicken, turkey, vegetables, etc)

Thanks.

Foods here can be steamed, boiled, sauteed (stir fried) or deep fried. There’s plenty of the first three (although the cheapest biandang places may mostly feature fried), and you might want to learn the names of typical dishes in those categories so that you can order them. How’s your Chinese? You may also want to learn how to ask what a shop has that is not fried, e.g., in Hanyu Pinyin transcription of Mandarin here:

“qing3wen4, ni3men2 you3 shen2me bu2 shi4 zha4de?” (What do y’all have that isn’t deep fried?)

“you3 zheng1de shi2wu4 ma?” (Got anything steamed?)
“you3 zhu3de ma?” (boiled?)
“you3 jian1de ma?” (sauteed)
“you3 chao3de ma?” (stir-fried)

Consider avoiding the cheapest biandang shops, as they are the ones that have the greasiest fried crap. Sit-down places with menus offer more choice, as does cooking for yourself. Hopefully some of our Gaoxiong posters can name some spots for you.

my Chinese sucks… i study at NSYSU (Jhongshan Da Shua) but only for 1 month, plus I am a slower learner :smiley:

Thanks for the help

1. mangoes
  2. soup
  3. yoghurt

You can find food that is fried in Japan.

1. sushi express
  2. mos burger burgers(the unfried ones) and salads

you can go to any night market,there are so many kinds of food over there.
the most famouse night market it might be liu he night market.(六和夜市)
you can take bus or KMRT
it’s very convenient.

bye the way,I think the most famous food near NSYSU is hai zhi bing (海之冰)-shaved ice store
have you ever been there yet? I recommend that you should go there at least one time.
there’s shaved ice is really huge.

[quote=“sabrina c”]you can go to any night market,there are so many kinds of food over there.
the most famouse night market it might be liu he night market.(六和夜市)
you can take bus or KMRT
it’s very convenient.

bye the way,I think the most famous food near NSYSU is hai zhi bing (海之冰)-shaved ice store
have you ever been there yet? I recommend that you should go there at least one time.
there’s shaved ice is really huge.[/quote]

you need to enlist a guide like sabrina :slight_smile: She will take you places.

Follow Tommy’s advice. Make friends and they’ll widen your choices. In spite of people’s obssession here with weight, most social activities involve a lot of food.

Non oily choices for breakfast: mantou -add egg or anything else, still it is steamed bread, so no oil. Soy milk or rice drink, lots of fruit.

Lunch: try the vegetarian places. Thre are also several macrobiotic stores branches, and they sell nice saladas, sandwiches, and full meals. MOS is a good choice, very little oil, fruit druinks are OK.

Dinner: try the veggies in soy sauce, they sell them by weight, so you can control portion and $$$. Most soups are quite oily, but noodle and soup combos in better quality places might not be as bad. Try noodles in miso soup at Japanese places.

I find it amazing that you have only encountered fried food in Taiwan.

[quote=“dan2006”]my Chinese sucks… i study at NSYSU (Zhongshan Da Shua) but only for 1 month, plus I am a slower learner :smiley:

Thanks for the help[/quote]

well no offense, but don’t you think this is a great opportunity to start putting that $$$ to work :wink:

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“dan2006”]my Chinese sucks… i study at NSYSU (Zhongshan Da Shua) but only for 1 month, plus I am a slower learner :smiley:

Thanks for the help[/quote]

well no offense, but don’t you think this is a great opportunity to start putting that $$$ to work :wink:[/quote]

how about just learning a few simple words:

Bu yao zha de.

Are you joking? 90% of the food here is deep fried. I’ve even seen deep fried vegetables.

Even the food that isn’t deep fried is still loaded with oil - vegetarian shops are some of the worst. When you ask a Taiwanese person why everything is cooked in gobs of oil, they just say, “It’s tasty.”

Well, it’s not really a question that has any other answer.

Seriously, you can easily find other stuff if you look. But I guess that first month is a bit stressful for most people.

That being said my kitchen has become greasy since my GF started cooking. I have given up on cleaning it properly every week since the grease is just that thick. When I was cooking it didn’t get this gross even if I only cleaned it once per month.

Beef noodle soup, or other noodle soups
Hotpot
Lu wei http://www.revver.com/video/188723/lu-wei-taiwanese-street-snack/

[quote=“whitetiger”]Beef noodle soup, or other noodle soups
Hotpot
Lu wei http://www.revver.com/video/188723/lu-wei-Taiwanese-street-snack/[/quote]
Noodles and hotpot seem to be the only non-oily options. Taiwanese food is really terrible! After three years in Thailand, I’m really having a hard time adjusting to such oily, bland, incredibly unhealthy food.

I cook at home nearly every meal.

All that grease is good for you , the Taiwanese are all thin arent they?

this is what confuses the hell out of me…

Are they? Most men seem to have a pretty substantial gut. And as someone was stating on another thread, Taiwanese people seem to have an unusually high percentage of body fat. They may not look fat from a distance, but up close they’re jello - almost all fat and no muscle.