Can we make a rule about punctuation/ grammar?

THE OP CAN’T BE TALKING ABOUT ME BECAUSE I ALWAYS MAKE IT A POINT TO CAPITALIZE ALL MY POSTS AND TRY TO FIT EVERYTHING INTO ONE SENTENCE NO MATTER HOW MANY POINTS I WANT TO MENTION OR RANT ON ABOUT SORRY FOR TROLLING I CAN’T HELP IT.

between the breasts
of bestial
Marj lie large
men who praise

Marj’s cleancornered strokable
body these men’s
fingers toss trunks
shuffle sacks spin kegs they

curl
loving
around
beers

the world has

these men’s hands but their
bodies big and boozing
belong to

Marj
the greenslim purse of whose
face opens
on a fatgold

grin
hooray
hoorah for the large
men who lie

between the breasts
of bestial Marj
for the strong men
who

sleep between the legs of Lil

Drunk, E?

Personally, I like dumbasses. It’s like having ugly girlfriends.

You don’t like ee cummings, do you B?

Albeit this is one of the more risqué selections, it does make a point about grammar.

[quote=“Elegua”]You don’t like ee cummings, do you B?

Albeit this is one of the more risqué selections, it does make a point about grammar.[/quote]

“cleancornered strokable body”…up there with joyce’s “smacked smackwarm on her smackable warm woman’s thigh” for pure genius of expression…course the nazis wouldn’t be happy cos too many of the words are made up…

Correct. I’m 34, you know.

Erm, it’s a poem; it scans fine. Nothing groundbreaking/unformulaic going on there.

It doesn’t really matter on an expat forum where many are not that great at English, but it annoys me when native speakers can’t really be arsed to tie their shoelaces, so to speak. I tend to read those kind of posts less often. They are simply less credible.

On the other hand, I’m a terrible typist.

Correct. I’m 34, you know.

Erm, it’s a poem; it scans fine. Nothing groundbreaking/unformulaic going on there.

It doesn’t really matter on an expat forum where many are not that great at English, but it annoys me when native speakers can’t really be arsed to tie their shoelaces, so to speak. I tend to read those kind of posts less often. They are simply less credible.

On the other hand, I’m a terrible typist.[/quote]

I don’t see how age figures. Generally ee commings is included in any reasonable High School course on Modernism - even for a philistine like myself. You see it as formulaic now as he is generally credited for inventing the style some. While not exactly a seminal work, it doesn’t strike me a overly dated, even though it was written some 70-80 years ago. Anyway, ee can be amusing at times in an Ogden Nash kind of way. At the time of printing it was a touch scandalous and I see it even got a rise out you.

Anyway, the point is; what exactly is the point of grammar if the idea has quality?

How do you work that out? Elegua, you baffle me. I never know what you’re on about. Sorry.

How do you work that out? Elegua, you baffle me. I never know what you’re on about. Sorry.[/quote]

Don’t bother. Stick to your little cabal.

How do you work that out? Elegua, you baffle me. I never know what you’re on about. Sorry.[/quote]

Don’t bother. Stick to your little cabal.[/quote]

That’s really obnoxious. And I have no idea why you would say it or what you are talking about. Cabal? Ach well, it proves me ‘right’, I suppose. Carry on.

I just watched a DVD by “the verve” . It really pissed on my battery.

Why would you do a thing like that? Staying in?

Toooo cold to go out. I’m going to re-watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Stilnox would be more pleasurable. Have some red wine and wait for the wiggles.

There are posters who have made friends here and whose opinions are appreciated, who may also be non-native speakers or dyslexic (as has been pointed out elsewhere in the thread), or who may use regional expressions, or who may use non-standard grammar as a rhetorical device to indicate that plain speaking is in order, or to lighten the tone of a discussion that has become heated or overly grave, or to avoid seeming pompous or cold, or even in an attempt to create a friendly atmosphere. Moreover, much of the posting here seems to be done in a spirit of immediacy, as if speaking.

I think enforcement of the rule(s) under discussion could turn into a headache.

Additionally, it seems to me that the more difficult a rule is to enforce, the more likely it is to be enforced selectively. Selective enforcement, no matter how conscientiously it is done, tends to create a perception of bias, which in turn tends to create ill will.