Can you "conscientiously object" to health provisions?

Like, in my country, Christian Scientists (who believe that going to a doctor or using medicine is against the Bible) don’t have to be vaccinated etc. Jehovah’s Witnesses can refuse blood transfusions. Buddhists can say no to…damn, I forgot what it is that Buddhists don’t allow. (I want to say organ transplants.)

So, does Taiwan have anything like that? If somebody points a thermometer at my head, what are my rights?

And what if my temperature is naturally high? Do they have the right to arrest me, or what? (Tibetan monks can raise their body temperature and dry sheets of wet cloth.)

Jesus, don’t you know that having a fever these days means that you have sars??? If you don’t bow down to the demented God of medicine you will be branded a SUPERSPREADER and cast into the pit of hell.

“if she floats she is a witch and we must kill her. If she sinks and drowns she is innocent”

SARS-LOGIC

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]

So, does Taiwan have anything like that? If somebody points a thermometer at my head, what are my rights?

And what if my temperature is naturally high? Do they have the right to arrest me, or what? (Tibetan monks can raise their body temperature and dry sheets of wet cloth.)[/quote]

If you refuse a temp test then I guess they have the right anyway not to let you on the premises

I do not think it has got to the point yet, where they (police or department of health) are stopping people on the street and demanding the person to have their temperature taken

Rectal thermometers have been shown to be the most accurate in females.

misterpoll.com/3564938657.html

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Butt seriously:

my.webmd.com/content/article/49/40202.htm

Good question Screamin Jesus. If you’re from the US, though, the law is not quite as black and white as you suggest. We do enjoy broad freedom of religion, but that freedom usually stops when those beliefs endanger the life of a child.

rickross.com/reference/attle … oro83.html

boston.com/news/daily/14/sect_trial.htm

abcnews.go.com/sections/us/Daily … 21003.html

If such a basic Constitutional freedom can be curtailed in the US, where constitutional rights are generally considered sacrosant, then in Asia where communal laws generally prevail over individual rights you better keep quiet about your objections.

Todays Taipei Times says that, as of Wednesday, home-quarantined SARS suspects will be subject to GPS tracking. Does this mean people will be tagged like convicts in case they try to go outside?

Maybe they’ll do something like this:

What is microchipping?
Microchipping is a method of identifying a person that is proving very successful in reuniting lost people and their families. A tiny microchip enclosed in a special capsule is implanted underneath the skin of the person’s shoulders. The chip is about the size of a grain of rice, and the implanting procedure is similar to and no more painful than receiving a routine vaccination.

How does microchipping work?
Originally designed for use in livestock and wildlife, microchipping has rapidly gained popularity as a means of identifying lost family members. Each microchip is programmed with a unique code number and emits a signal on a specific radio frequency. A portable scanner held closely over the person’s shoulders will read the number.

The Toronto Human Society works with a company that operates the database and recovery system, which is a vital component of microchipping technology. When a lost person comes into the shelter, the first thing staff do is scan them. If the person is microchipped, the special number is read and phoned in to the operators. A check of the database will reveal vital information such as the name, address and the medical history of the person. This information is recorded on a registration form when the microchip is implanted and must be updated if the person changes his or her address.

Is microchipping a safe procedure?
Yes, microchipping is perfectly safe. Some people are concerned that the chip might move after it has been implanted, however, a layer of connective tissue forms at the site. This anchors the chip and prevents it from migrating.

Why should I microchip my family?
Traditionally, identification meant an old photo or id bracelet, but a family member that wanders or is kidnapped may have lost the bracelet, or had their appearance changed. While the Toronto Human Society strongly endorses the use of external identification, the sad truth is that 50 per cent of lost family members are never recovered. A microchip is with them for life and can greatly increase the chance of recovery if they become lost.

Every person visiting the Toronto Human Society is implanted with a microchip. Staff in shelters and doctors’ offices across North America can access vital information about your family member. The cost of a microchip is included in the Toronto Human Society’s tour fee. If your child was not adopted from a shelter associated with the Toronto Human Society, they can be microchipped at our Clinic. It’s a small price to pay for the safety of your family!

home.ican.net/~mtompset/microchip.html

I don’t know, Mother Theresa. Sounds like something out of the X-Files…

I can see how this would be useful for tracking the people who are supposed to be on quarantine, but I wouldn’t have my family implanted just in case one of us should get lost o abducted.

What is a KNIFE? Implants can be removed…maybe not without pain, but if I’m a kidnapper or just want to disappear…

from Thursday’s New York Times:

[quote] Everyone arriving from any destination has his or her temperature taken at the airport and again at the entrance to almost every hotel and office building. Anyone with a fever over 100.4 is immediately taken to a hospital by ambulance and not released until the cause of the fever is determined.

A recent visitor from Hong Kong who refused to have his temperature taken, protesting that it would violate his civil rights, “was wrestled to the ground and we took it,” boasted Mayor Ma, who has a law degree from Harvard. “His temperature was normal, but we fined him $2,000 for refusing.”[/quote]
Good for them.

If you refuse to get your temp checked they should lock you up or kick you out of this country for good.
I cannot understand why people must willingly refuse to ensure (or endager in fact) the safety and well-being of others for the own ignorand and selfish views?

As far as I know people are turned away from public places like someone I saw being refused entry to Sogo last week, but no arrests were made or ambulances came to pick them up.

I would be interested to know how you track someone using a GPS, if that person is supposed to be indoors. GPS only works if you have LOS (line of sight) to the satellites.

I wonder how many people have been apprehended in a public place with a body temperature of over 100F? I for one, wouldn’t be much in the mood for frolicking around shopping malls with a raging fever. I’d probably have a hard time making it out the front door of my apartment.

You wouldn’t really feel that ill with a temp. of 38 – you might feel “not quite right” but that’s about all.

yeh, you could still got out.