Can YOU do the Asian squat?

Can you do the Asian squat? As a western guy, I can do it and it’s not uncomfortable, but I know some others can’t.

For context:

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I actually had a poll on this:

4 Likes

Getting back up is an issue. Just tried it and it really hurts my knees.

2 Likes

Squatty potties and explosive diarrhea don’t work well together. Not to mention trying to get back up again when done.

1 Like

I’m going to allow this thread to remain open for now but please be aware that cultural appropriation is a real issue and you should know where the line lies.

3 Likes

Good point. I should apologise for my tone deafness in attempting the squat.

2 Likes

I guess everyone had to learn it after being a while in Taiwan.
Either that or you can only poop at home!

2 Likes

I think most toilets have that metal bar you can hang onto while doing the squat. The worst thing about travelling or maybe the best thing about it is missing one’s own toilet. Nothing like being able to sit on one’s toilet and have a good read while doing a number 2. Yes I know squatting is more healthy but I’ll only do it when forced to that way. There is a reason taking a dump is sometimes called “going for a sit”.

3 Likes

Still? I used to be able to do this, and routinely did so, in Tainan 15-20 years ago. But I don’t think I’ve ever done this move in Taipei, and certainly not in the past few years.

I got to know where are the clean western style toilets in Taipei. In fact public toilets are very decent compared to the UK where they are full of discarded syringes, obnoxious graffiti and general weirdos.

2 Likes

Many of my best posts have been knocked out while on the toilet.

1 Like

Lots of locals still prefer this way.
We don’t see this signs for nothing…
Screen-Shot-2016-03-21-at-15.02.48

1 Like

You gotta hold on to the bar so you don’t fly off. If there’s no bar, well…god help you.

5 Likes

FIFY

1 Like

You are taking the “explosive” part too literally!

1 Like

You’ve never been to India?

1 Like

No, but I can imagine it now…
tenor

1 Like

Aside from the Slav/Asian memes. We all have been squatting like this since we were children, and our ancestors, for millenia.
That sacred squat has been our natural way to poop and to have a quick rest.

I think it’s also a good position for giving birth, if our orangutan friends are any indication (video NSFW!):

This video blows my mind every time.

1 Like

My Girlfriend didn’t believe I couldn’t, hanna149: I will take advice I’m going to practise and see if it works for me. Hopefully?
Not needed to do in Taipei BUT will be a time, preperation, preperation.